🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Options

Comments

• Timeflies
    Timeflies Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Roz-V hope you’re having a fab holiday! Yes, the 3 of us are are so close in EDD aren’t we? I really want to plan a mat leave date, but it all depends on so many things! Last time my midwife was encouraging me to go at 34 weeks, so I changed my 37 week start to 36 weeks. This time my (different) midwife said if they did schedule me for a C-section (due to carrying a giant baby again) it would be at 39 weeks. I know there’s some projects/admin/nesting I’d want to do at home on mat leave before baby arrives, not to mention lazing about! I am due to a big work event at around 36 weeks – not sure if I’ll be there for that.

That’s exciting you heard the heartbeat twentysomethinggirl – my midwife said she wouldn’t do it at 16 weeks. I first get to see the consultant (and midwife again) at 21 weeks. My 20 week scan is the day after yours!

Saver-j I am planning to make one of those mothercare evenings – worth it for the vouchers and freebie goody bag, but also the talks about first aid, breastfeeding, etc etc. We can’t both go this time round though, as littlun will be in bed. I guess I’ll go – not sure if they let lone men in! :rotfl: In all seriousness, dads really do get sidelined in a lot of things. Daft comedy books about how to treat a baby like a car, some places only have baby change in the ladies, patronising comments… it’s tough for dads.

I didn’t do NCT last time because I was too slow to book it and it was full. I did do the free antenatal classes and set up a social media group for the others to join. Seemed awkward as we’d barely spoken to each other, but we see each other all the time, a nice support network and good friends. I’d definitely recommend some kind of antenatal classes, and thrusting contact details on people, even though it’s a bit awkward with strangers!

Is anyone planning to do shared maternity/paternity leave? I’d like OH around for the first 6 weeks (he gets 3 weeks’ paternity leave), so I’m thinking of either giving 3 weeks of my mat leave to him as pat leave, or just getting him to take 3 weeks unpaid. I kind of want to string my 52 weeks mat leave to cover two Christmases though!:xmassmile
  • TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    My husband is going to take the 2 weeks pat leave and then 2 weeks annual leave as he takes Christmas off anyway so depending on when the little one makes an appearance he'll be off most of December with me. He earns more so it doesn't make sense for us to use the shared parental leave. I think for your husband to use the SPL you'd have to go back to work for the 3 weeks he's using it as only one parent can use the statutory leave at a time but I'm not 100% on that
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • Timeflies
    Options
    It did used to be like that twentysomethinggirl, but since April 2015, you can split the mat leave, and run concurrently if you want to. So OH would have the "last" 3 weeks of my mat leave, but have it 3 weeks after baby s born, when his pat leave ends. So because it's the last 3 weeks its unpaid, as it would be if i took it at the end.

A bloke at my work has just had 6 months off like this - his wife has 3 months, then he had 6 months, then they both went back to work.

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    That's good. I think it's a fab idea that the SPL was brought in. I don't think dad's are given enough when it comes to having kids and the way they get treated.

I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and have been having cramps for the lat week. My tracking app said round ligament pain is quite common at this point so I'm not concerned but it's annoying/painful when it happens.

2 weeks to scan day!
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • countrybum
    countrybum Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We won't be splitting maternity/paternity leave as hubby is self employed so presumably can't take anything. I don't know when to start mine; I'm due on 13th December and last baby came 10 days early. I've also got 25 days leave to take between no and the end on January (so really have to take it before maternity leave as I can't carry it over).

I've been getting tummy pains too - went to see midwife and she said it was round ligament pain too
  • saver-j
    saver-j Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

So we went to the mothercare event. Didn't attend all the talks, but the first aid one was good and we're probably going to do a class as a result of that. There wasn't a hard sell on anything which was nice, but good opportunity to look at a few different things. Not sure we're any closer to an actual decision on pram etc but has narrowed us to a few options. There was even something for the dads timeflies as they could try on a bump and see what it's like for all of a minute! Still got another week to use the voucher as well, though the month must run from their first event which doesn't give as long as I'd hoped but still meant not pressured to buy.

We are thinking of doing shared parental leave, with my oh taking some of the time at the end, but unsure at the moment. Financially it would make most sense to do it for us as I earn more but I'm kind of reluctant to give up too much time off and even though this is Mae money isn't everything. We'll see how it goes though as I'll only get 6 weeks full pay, then I think it's 20 weeks half pay then statutory. I know that could be worse but it will feel like quite a dip.

Twentysomethinggirl I've been getting cramps when I sneeze which is annoying as they really hurt, I've been told that's probably just ligaments too.

Hope all's well with everyone.
  • Timeflies
    Options
    Glad the event was good saver-j. 6 then 20 is not too bad. I had 13 weeks full then statutory with my first pregnancy. I did save up beforehand and not run out of money. I found I saved by not having a social life :rotfl: This time I'll save by not commuting and buying lunch out!

I've started pregnancy Pilates, which is fab. I thought it'd be a breeze compared to my regular exercise class, but it's surprisingly hard! It really feels good though :)

hope everyone's cramps/ligament pains are not too bad. Does anyone have a scan before 20something and me in a fortnight?
  • countrybum
    Options
    I've put my name down for a pregnancy yoga class but it's not started yet. I feel like I need to start doing something though, maybe swimming once I feel less exhausted!!!

When does everyone else have their 20 week scans? Mine isn't until 28th July which seems an age away!!!
  • countrybum
    Options
    Do any of you fancy joining or facebook group - it's very quiet at the moment! PM me for details
  • TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    Countrybum - my scan is the 17th, first thing in the morning too which is nice as I'm not good at waiting patiently! On the flip side of that I have to get up an hour earlier than normal to drink the amount required!

I hope everyone is coping well in the heat.

I seem to have a bump forming though it's only noticeable when I'm laying on my back because the fat flops forward when I'm standing :rotfl:I am wondering at what point one should stop sleeping on the front. I've taken to being quite gentle when I roll over but I still always wake up in the morning on my front and I guess soon that's not gonna be the best idea...?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure