Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk

Comments

• thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    [QUOTE=cancunia;70107235_my_pallet_of_AKZ_arrived_on_Tuesday,_following_an_order_to_WHE_on_Friday._They_are_really_well_stacked_compared_to_the_other_pellets_I've_had_which_probably_contributed_to_there_being_no_tears_on_the_packaging.[/QUOTE]

I was also impressed by the packaging of the AKZ pellets, by far the best that I have seen so far, I think it is the fact that they use a square 'gusseted' bag which makes the filled bag brick shaped, the PE film is also not slippery, so they can be re-stacked really easily without the stack moving.

I am currently using a load of Platinum Plus, and to re-stack them was a nightmare, the stack has slipped and collapsed twice, luckily, no damaged bags. The Platinum Plus bags are very slippery, are too big for the amount of pellets and are the wrong shape to stack, being like a tube.
  • Shepster23
    Shepster23 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2016 at 1:09PM
    An excellent forum that I have only recently discovered. Any price comparisons on blown pellets? I had my first delivery of 5.5 tons last September from Brites at £209 / ton. Looking to reorder in the next month or so. Brites pellets have worked very well with no problems. One aspect of having a pellet boiler that has surprised me has been the cost of servicing but perhaps that is for another forum?
  • Hi, welcome to the conversation! It's interesting to see that the blown pellets are a similar price, I thought that they were more expensive than bagged due to the special equipment needed for delivery. So far as other topics are concerned, why not start a new thread?
  • WPG
    WPG Posts: 24 Forumite
    Shepster23 wrote: »
    An excellent forum that I have only recently discovered. Any price comparisons on blown pellets? I had my first delivery of 5.5 tons last September from Brites at £209 / ton. Looking to reorder in the next month or so. Brites pellets have worked very well with no problems. One aspect of having a pellet boiler that has surprised me has been the cost of servicing but perhaps that is for another forum?

I would really like to get blown pellet prices included on the wood pellet guide, however I haven't yet managed to find any suppliers that publish their prices online.

If anyone is able to convince some suppliers to share their pricing info on a regular basis, I'd be happy to include it on the guide. (I've been meaning to get in touch with a few, but haven't managed to find the time)
  • Anyone attending EcoBuild in London this March?
    My company will be there as exhibitor (we are a producer of wood pellets). I think some people might get interested in our offers.
    And there will also be some other pellet manufacturers, boilers, stoves and so on.
  • trueab1 wrote: »
    I think some people might get interested in our offers.

Unfortunately it's a bit too far away for me, but there will be several people on here that are interested in offers! Please keep us on the thread informed.
  • Great, I will be glad to meet anyone there :)
  • Hi People,
    Been reading a lot of posts about the cost of the actual pellets, but I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences of their pellet consumption?
    I was shocked at how much mine uses and the company who installed it said it would use around 4-5 ton year - they've gone bankrupt so I cant even discuss. The boiler manufacturers are in Poland and cant speak English and ignore my emails (eko-gren EG Pellet) . I'm actually burning around 12 ton a year. I have a 15kw boiler, 2 bed house (79sqm), a-rated double glazing, walls are not insulated as its an old rubble stone construction. I was told I didn't need a buffer tank because the house was small enough to heat up quick enough on demand (which isn't the case). Can anyone else comment about the size of the boilers/house and how much you actually burn?
    I'm stuck at the age of 31 with a £12000 loan for a boiler on my first home and a heating bill off £210-230 a month for 2 people, a system which takes ages to warm up and the RHI barely covers the fuel cost. grrrrrr
  • HI Peter
    Your usage does seem excessive. I have a Grant 36KW boiler and am only using about 8 ton a year in a large 17th C farmhouse. I do not use it for hot water in the summer. It is cheaper to use electric or even better solar as I understand that pellet boilers work better if they are continuously running rather than cycling on and off as would happen with water heating (hence the reason for a buffer tank). Have you approached another installer in the area to see if it is set up correctly? When mine was first set up it was running at 80C. I turned it down to 70C without noticing the difference in the house so that would have reduced the usage.
    Did your installers give a guarantee? Even though they have gone bust it could have been insurance based, possibly?
  • RickMoney
    RickMoney Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

As Shepster23 said, it sounds a lot. I have a 3 bed old solid wall detached house, some upgraded insulation but I constantly still complain about draughts so it's not airtight. 2 ppl living here and I tend to have heat off during day. I have a normal water tank, not a buffer one.

With a Biowin2, I've used about 4.5mt this first year.

Now knowing how much it uses, I'll probably up the temp a little that will take it to about 5.5mt.

Definately doesn't sound right your usage unless there is a window missing?

Did you have the EPC thing done as part of the RHI install? What demand did it put on the house?

You need to be sure the boiler size is correct for the demand (tho its a bit late now)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure