Need A Bank, Can't Leave My House.

Options

Comments

• NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2014 at 2:15PM
    Options
    Is the OP allowed to open an account at age 17 without any further assistance from an adult? Just one of the first things that popped into my head. Also i picked up on the part that you have not seen any money since you started claiming, are or do you suspect you are becoming a victim of someone else's greed?

Link below for all account aimed at teenagers, i hope it all goes well for you.

http://www.money.co.uk/current-accounts/bank-accounts-for-teenagers.htm
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Nationwide would be great as their Flexone account is really good. Nationwide are usually a helpful bunch, so I'd try phoning them. They're likely able to do something to help.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, my name is Chris. It recently came to my attention that I needed a bank account to claim benefits for a disability that prevents me from leaving the house. But that's the issue, I can't leave the house to go into a branch to create a bank account. I have been told by many people that I can get an account online, but I need to verify that I am myself, and to do so I need to go to the bank with ID.

Currently a family member receives my benefits but I haven't seen any money since I started claiming. I need an account to directly claim so everything is done to my knowledge.

So my question is; How can I get a bank account without leaving my house? Is it even possible? And where would be the best place to go to?

Additional notes: I'm 17 years old and I live in England. Posting something like "Just go into a branch" is un-helpful as I haven't left my house in 3 years.

Usually, your parents would claim (and receive) the benefit on your behalf, until you are 18.

Even if you are claiming them in your own right, whilst benefits are normally paid directly into your bank account, you can get paid in a different way if you have problems opening or managing an account.

When you are 18, get one of these:
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2014 at 3:11PM
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    You have to be 18 to apply for an FD account. The OP is 17.
    Oh ok. I assumed they would have a young persons account like all the other banks seem to.

My teens have Natwest and have a debit (Visa) card, if that's any help Chris. I think it's an 'adapt' account. Like others have said I would call a branch to get more info.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most accounts will allow you to apply online now a days.

If the bank requires any ID I'm sure they will request this in writing then duly return the ID to them in the post.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Most accounts will allow you to apply online now a days.

Or on the phone.

Any 16-18 year old can apply for a Youth account themselves. They need to be able to provide the proof of ID and address that is required. An example of the requirements is here (downloads a PDF from the Santander website).
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Or on the phone.

Any 16-18 year old can apply for a Youth account themselves. They need to be able to provide the proof of ID and address that is required. An example of the requirements is here (downloads a PDF from the Santander website).

The point I was making was the ID could be sent in the post rather than visiting a branch in most cases. I do apologise if that was not made clear.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    Sure, ID can be sent by post whether you apply online or on the phone or in branch.

Although you might not want to send originals in the posts as things can go missing. If the bank requires certified copies, you would need to go to e.g. the Post Office to have it certified - - in which case, taking the originals into the bank branch might be easier. The OP really needs to talk to a bank to find out what is required in their specific case.
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Am going to guess that if the OP cannot leave their house to go to the bank, then they probably cannot post their Id either. The clue been in the original post
    without leaving my house?
    I haven't left my house in 3 years.

My simple suggestion to the op is to start at the top of the list i posted earlier and starting from the top apply online for an account, get the ball rolling 1st. Sod all this phoning the bank to see what they require, i have maybe 5 accounts that have all been opened online and not once have i been asked to provide ID if after you manage to open an account and they ask for ID then cross that hurdle then, take it one step at a time.
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    Am going to guess that if the OP cannot leave their house to go to the bank, then they probably cannot post their Id either. The clue been in the original post
    That doesn't mean that no ID is required if your ID cannot be established electronically (almost certainly the case with a minor), and it doesn't mean that banks wouldn't accept posted ID.

The clue is in anti-fraud and KYC measures banks are legally obliged to perform. It would be a fraudster's paradise if everybody could just ring up and say they can't leave their house but need to have a bank account.

Now, before anyone suggests I am implying the OP is a fraudster: read my words again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport