We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

2015: Sell £1000

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well,it didn't take me long to decide that the right thing for me to do is to give my son the money.It went something like this: "Jaaaaaaacccckkkk.If I sold something of yours that you don't use,and earnt some money for it,would you be too upset?
    "Mmmmm,what did you sell?"
    "A game.That you don't used very much.Infact,haven't used it for since a couple of days after your birthday 2 years ago....I'll give you the money for it"
    "What game was it?"
    "Rummikub" . Que Jack's confused facial expression as he tries to remember said game
    "No,that's ok"
    I hand over £15,he is thrilled.5yo daughter then asks if she can have some money.I tell her when we sell some of her toys (we are in the middle of decluttering,painting,decorating and re-arranging people between 3 bedrooms),she can have the money too.
    So THAT is what I will be doing with most of the money I make-handing it over icon_eek.gif.

If I sell something of the children's (books, toys) then they always get the money. I get the money from any of their clothes which sell (not many) I find that they are more receptive to decluttering if they reap the reward from it. The teens spend it as they wish (mainly books and the occasional item of clothing for DD, games related stuff for DS1 - but he will happily buy second hand to get more for his money) and the smallies get the majority of it banked, with 25% added to their money boxes for spending on things throughout the year(usually Lego) (If the build up of money is what I deem to be excessive then I bank some more):D:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would like to join please. I am already an ebay er and usually whack the money of a debt. However, whilst at my dads for Xmas, I came across a woodburner he never used so I came away with it :rotfl:

I will try and get £1000 from selling my rubbish...oops I mean, quality items :D and put it in a pot to fund the installation of said stove
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • 2015newstart
    Options
    We work our selling pot that if people decide they don't want the item, it gets sold and the money goes back into the family pot. The children know they get a lot of treats, pocket money, birthday money and santa so they don't feel hard done to. They're both just pre-teen and it works well with us. Last year the money paid for our holiday spending money and I'm lucky they can see the bigger picture.

Have got around 12 things listed on ebay at the mo and two have bids on. I'm waiting to hear if a local guy wants to buy both our old iPhone 4s so fingers crossed...if not they're off to the highest priced recycle company. I'll sell most things on ebay but don't want to take the risk with scammers on such a high value item.
    £2 sealed pot....continue from 2014 piling them in until termunda full!
  • CantSwingACat
    Options
    My selling tips... (I know money made from doing these things in 2014 doesn't count towards challenge)

*Car boot sales! Made £180 on the last one I did and that was in the space of five hours.

*Facebook Buy, Sell and Swap groups -sold my fish tank for £40 to a guy who seemed pretty chuffed with it

*Amazon Trade In -anyone else tried this? I've found it handy for getting rid of stuff quickly and easily, but you get Amazon vouchers rather than cash. Ideal if you buy a lot on Amazon I guess, but not sure whether this sort of thing counts towards the Sell £1000 challenge?

I'm still yet to actually use Ebay! I feel so useless every time I log into my account
    Save £12,000 in 2015 – 03/03/15 - £3000
    Goal – Save a deposit for my first house :j
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas of how people allocate funds of items sold.I have never had much patience/luck with selling,and only ever make a few pounds a year.It doesn't really worry me if it gets put into a seperate pot,towards family savings,or given to the kids,etc,so,having seen how thrilled Jack,age 11,was when I handed over his money (and it is his money because it had been his birthday present),I think I will use it as incentive for all (4) children.Certainly my 5yo was very interested when she saw money being handed over,so will build on that momentum.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Casper123
    Options
    Hoping to have some money to add to this over next few weeks to kick start it - got plenty put to one side to list on eBay this afternoon. Fingers crossed!
    Sell £1000 (#28): £36.98/1000
    £2 savers (#60): £38
  • BohemianCoast
    Options
    People who don't think they have £1000 to sell; you might be surprised! People will buy any old tat. Great targets are posh clothes you don't wear, 'funny' presents that people gave you and you put in a drawer, old phones and laptops and anything you've upgraded. On eBay, completed listings search is your friend; I sort by price high to low to see what stuff will actually sell for. Unless your item is really rare or peculiar, buy it now achieves better prices than auctions. I just got a free listing offer for the next couple of days, but you can list 20 items a month for free anyway; I never ever pay for listing.

Anyway. I have sold a 'fun' train set for dads on FB; £10. I had to take my eBay sales down because we went away at new year but they're back on now so hopefully I'll sell a few things there over the next few days.
    Make £2023 in 2023: (all decluttering), current total £2860 me, £330 for friends & family, £468 charity donations.
  • BohemianCoast
    Options
    having seen how thrilled Jack,age 11,was when I handed over his money (and it is his money because it had been his birthday present),I think I will use it as incentive for all (4) children.Certainly my 5yo was very interested when she saw money being handed over,so will build on that momentum.

OK just call me SUPER MEAN MUM, but my kids don't get all the money when I sell their stuff. I give them 2/3 if I sell on FB and 1/2 if I sell on eBay because it's so much work. If *they* cleaned the item, photographed it, wrote the listing, packed it and posted it I'd give them more!:rotfl: Though DS does take small packets to the postbox for me as one of his chores.
    Make £2023 in 2023: (all decluttering), current total £2860 me, £330 for friends & family, £468 charity donations.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    OK just call me SUPER MEAN MUM, but my kids don't get all the money when I sell their stuff. I give them 2/3 if I sell on FB and 1/2 if I sell on eBay because it's so much work. If *they* cleaned the item, photographed it, wrote the listing, packed it and posted it I'd give them more!:rotfl: Though DS does take small packets to the postbox for me as one of his chores.

If it's manky I make them clean it before selling :) I deduct any fees (ebay, paypal & postage) from the amount received, but they then do get 100% of what's left over :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • vickyleigh
    vickyleigh Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2015 at 5:18PM
    Options
    My girls had been doing a clean out before Christmas, I told them I would pay them 20p for each item they got rid of (threw out, gave away) Didn't matter the size, but most of the stuff were small things. I wasn't even thinking of selling the stuff, some of it belongs in the trash but most of it they could get more than 20p for. I guess I'll be hitting my local FB groups over the next few weeks to earn the girls some money :) If they know they can earn more than 20p they will probably get rid of a lot more stuff, which is always a good things :D
    5p savers challenge #5

Make up to £10 a day challenge: January 2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills