Will a PAYG sim be disconnected if not used?

Ianwzzz
Ianwzzz Posts: 246 Forumite
i need to get an EE SIM card for a GSM switch to open some gates from my mobile phone, which will only be used for receiving calls and never dialling out. Does anybody know if EE will disconnect the line if I never put credit on the sim and use it to make calls.

Thanks.

Comments

• gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Ianwzzz wrote: »
    i need to get an EE SIM card for a GSM switch to open some gates from my mobile phone, which will only be used for receiving calls and never dialling out. Does anybody know if EE will disconnect the line if I never put credit on the sim and use it to make calls.

Thanks.

Yes.

There has to be a "chargable event" every 180 days (ie 6 months) , that means a call or text out or a top up.

Other networks have a similar policy although one network is just is 90 days.

If they didn't we'd run out of mobile numbers.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Thanks.

The only network that counts incoming calls as activity is Giffgaff.

As long as it receives 4 incoming calls of at least 10 seconds each it will stay active. All other sims need a top up or outgoing call/text at least once in 3-6 months (depending on network).
    ====
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just make one call every couple of months to you home phone, pick up, then hang up, or text to any other mobile

Not a fortune, 10p tops I guess, depending on your provider
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Ianwzzz
    Ianwzzz Posts: 246 Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    Just make one call every couple of months to you home phone, pick up, then hang up, or text to any other mobile

Not a fortune, 10p tops I guess, depending on your provider

It's not the cost of a call that's a problem. It just the hassle of opening the box, taking the sim out and putting it in a phone. And remembering to do it.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's not the cost of a call that's a problem. It just the hassle of opening the box, taking the sim out and putting it in a phone. And remembering to do it.

Set yourself a calendar reminder to do it every 178 days. Is twice a year really that much hassle?
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have you read this ...........
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5120470

??

Also, why EE?
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2014 at 1:38AM
    open some gates from my mobile phone, .
    It just the hassle of opening the box, taking the sim out and putting it in a phone. And remembering to do it.
    Why not make the call/text at a time when you are opening the gates, or will you go 6 consecutive months without doing so?
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Why not make the call/text at a time when you are opening the gates, or will you go 6 consecutive months without doing so?

The gates probably in use everyday .....you can't make a call or text from a control panel, you have to remove the sim and put it in a phone as the OP explained
    It's not just about the money
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know someone with 02 who wernt disconnected after longer than 6 months.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    I googled it and saw this one recommended because it's a £1 monthly contract
    http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/pay-monthly-sim-only-deal.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport