Tyres New Ones Twice Year or Pay for Storage

Comments

• Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You do. Or just plain dumped at the side of the road, either bent

So on a normal UK winter day you see 99.999% of cars in a ditch because they are are using summer tyres, whilst the 0.001% on winter tyres drive past.

A good imagination you have.
    or - when there's a slight dusting of snow - unable to move.

Yes, like all the snow we didn't have last year.

But when there is a slight dusting of snow you struggle to drive on summer tyres? Worrying, very worrying.
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 December 2014 at 9:03AM
    alleycat` wrote: »
    I'd be tempted by a set of these:-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89348/vredestein-quatrac-lite-tyre-review

they don't appear to be "that bad" a compromise in any facet of testing?

One important aspect of the compromise is poorer performance in warmer weather, which is not commented on in the article. This test gives the idea:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-54-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

The Vredestein Quatrac 3 all-season tyre finished 35th, which was the best performing of the all-season tyres tested. It's perhaps also worth noting that the all-season tyres performed worse than good summer tyres in the wet as well as the dry.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Altarf wrote: »
    It was a joke, but to keep you happy -

If that was the case then since 99.999% of cars on the road on in the winter have these dangerous summer tyres, why do you not see thousands of them in ditches at the side of the road?

I am sure that in some of the more remote parts of the UK it might be sensible, but for the vast majority of motorists in the UK it is a waste of time and money.

They aren't necessarily in ditches but some may be having problems.

There was a line of thunderstorms which moved south a few years ago, and left 2 to 6 inches of snow in a lot of places.

The initial part of my trip home is 10 miles along a straight B road, which is mainly flat but goes up and down about 30 to 50 feet a few times, on gradients no worse than say 1 in 15.

In my direction was OK, but coming the other way there were tailbacks of a total of about 200 cars, in about 4 places where one car had got stuck on an upslope, then the ones behind could hardly get enough traction from stationary to pull out and overtake.

On the main A road there was a couple of inches of squashed down and frozen snow, with people doing 15 to 25 mph.

A trip of 45 miles took 2 and a half hours. About 2 miles north of my house, the temperature was just above freezing and the road clear. I went out in the evening and there were problems further south though.

The 7 am the next day I phoned the council road department and asked if they had treated any of the roads by now, as they obviously hadn't the day before.

"It come out the blue", he exclaimed in a voice that sounded like he was still in shock.

" No, it was regularly forecast for 2 or 3 days, and if you listened to news and weather and traffic reports during the day you could track it all the way down the country, Aberdeen at 8 am, then through lunchtime Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool, then the Midlands, so you could have actually predicted the arrival here quite well to within half an hour."

From then on, I reckoned that if councils or their contractors were occasionally going to be so incompetent or thick as to completely ignore weather forecasts or simply point blank refuse to treat the roads, I was going to consider getting winter tyres.

Nothing macho, or covering for either fear or incompetence, but just pragmatic.

And it has happened since, with sometimes only an inch of well predicted snow grinding some main roads to a halt.
  • Altarf
    redux wrote: »
    They aren't necessarily in ditches but some may be having problems.

Absolutely, just like this morning at 7am, with the usual December weather at 3c.

Number of cars in difficulty I passed on the road. Zero. Less than one. None.

Snip long snow story.
    "No, it was regularly forecast for 2 or 3 days..."

From then on, I reckoned that if councils or their contractors were occasionally going to be so incompetent or thick as to completely ignore weather forecasts or simply point blank refuse to treat the roads, I was going to consider getting winter tyres.

So you knew from the forecast that there were going to be problems on the road, and yet you went out on the road.

Yet you call the contractors thick?

And if you have winter tyres, how exactly will that help you when there are still 200 cars blocking the road in front of you?
    Nothing macho, or covering for either fear or incompetence, but just pragmatic.

And it has happened since, with sometimes only an inch of well predicted snow grinding some main roads to a halt.

Snow. Yes that thing that there was absolutely none of last year.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So you knew from the forecast that there were going to be problems on the road, and yet you went out on the road.

Yet you call the contractors thick?
    He knew there'd be snow, but foolishly assumed the council would prepare for it.
    And if you have winter tyres, how exactly will that help you when there are still 200 cars blocking the road in front of you?
    Because you can drive past them given sufficient grip.

Snow. Yes that thing that there was absolutely none of last year.

The same thing that brought the country to a complete halt a couple of years previously (I got 2 weeks off work).
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Or, in the case of previous winters, I could take the usual back route to work, saving a lot of distance over the main road route which is busy at the best of times and - with a light dusting - is utterly clogged.

But, no, he knows best - and doesn't need to try. Strange how the ones who are so loudly anti are also the ones most reluctant to actually try. Maybe they're afraid that they'll be proven wrong?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The same thing that brought the country to a complete halt a couple of years previously (I got 2 weeks off work).

We didn't. We had winter tyres. Where we live the council don't clear the roads and that snow lasted for six weeks on the ground.
  • Altarf
    He knew there'd be snow, but foolishly assumed the council would prepare for it.

Again, he called the contractors thick?

That is rather optimistic.

And back to the pessimism again.
    But, no, he knows best - and doesn't need to try. Strange how the ones who are so loudly anti are also the ones most reluctant to actually try. Maybe they're afraid that they'll be proven wrong?

But I must tell you about the horrendous journey home at 7pm this evening, 5c and raining, really horrible.

There were hundreds of crashed cars due to their drivers not being able to control their cars, death and destruction everywhere, police and air ambulance helicopters overhead, blue lights from the emergency services glinting off the cold wet road.

Or not, because the "summer" tyres on 99.999% of cars worked fine.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

You saw 100,000 cars in one day? Or was it 200,000?

No wonder you know everything.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2014 at 9:57AM
    But I must tell you about the horrendous journey home at 7pm this evening, 5c and raining, really horrible.

There were hundreds of crashed cars due to their drivers not being able to control their cars, death and destruction everywhere, police and air ambulance helicopters overhead, blue lights from the emergency services glinting off the cold wet road.

Because you checked all the tyres were summers?

Why are you so against winter tyres (which are a legal requirement in countries less backwards than ours)?

For the record, I'm getting a set of winters fitted tomorrow, because my car has "ultra high performance summer" tyres and I don't want to wait and see how they work when it gets bad. I figure I'll easily get the 3 years I'm planning on keeping the car out of them so the cost is negligable. Certainly less than my insurance excess will be.

Compare that same journey when it's -5c and there's half an inch of snow on the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure