Options
    Or just run winter tyres all year round
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2014 at 10:16AM
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    :) year before last I casually passed a bmw x5 stuck on a slight but protracted incline. Very satisfying.

What's so interesting about that - I 'casually' pass a whole load of different makes of car every year - the common factor is they have summer tyres in winter conditions.

It doesn't matter what make it is - a LandRover on summer tyres is as useless as any other make.

Cue irate folks with the usual comments - "We don't get enough snow." & "Ive managed fine without winter tyres all my life." and the classic "Drive to the conditions" which logically would mean staying at home and not driving at all - which is the only option available to drivers in Austria, Croatia etc.

I doubt if any of the people who say winters tyres are not needed have actually driven with winter tyres in low temperatures, never mind in snow.

It doesn't seem to have sunk in that we are talking about tyres called 'winter' tyres not 'snow' tyres.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I doubt if any of the people who say winters tyres are not needed have actually driven with winter tyres in low temperatures, never mind in snow.
    Indeed. In all of these debates, across a variety of forums, I've never once seen anybody say "Well, I've tried them and don't see the point."
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the X5 is often quoted as it is particularly useless on snow due to its standard tyres being of Carlos Fandango proportions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    What's so interesting about that - I 'casually' pass a whole load of different makes of car every year - the common factor is they have summer tyres in winter conditions.

It doesn't matter what make it is - a LandRover on summer tyres is as useless as any other make.

Cue irate folks with the usual comments - "We don't get enough snow." & "Ive managed fine without winter tyres all my life." and the classic "Drive to the conditions" which logically would mean staying at home and not driving at all - which is the only option available to drivers in Austria, Croatia etc.

It doesn't seem to have sunk in that we are talking about tyres called 'winter' tyres not 'snow' tyres.

Just thought it was relevant given Skulls comment. I find it very interesting cruising passed stuck expensive 4x4s in my bog standard focus (with winter tyres of course) :)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cue irate folks with the usual comments - "We don't get enough snow." & "Ive managed fine without winter tyres all my life." and the classic "Drive to the conditions"

Just to keep you happy.

We don't get enough snow, and I have managed fine without winter tyres all my life.

(I am not irate though)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    We don't get enough snow

But winter tyres give extra grip at low temperatures, even on cold dry tarmac.
    and I have managed fine without winter tyres all my life.

But not on modern tyres, with compounds formulated for high grip or low rolling resistance, at the expense of dramatically losing grip when it gets cold.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was a joke, but to keep you happy -
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But winter tyres give extra grip at low temperatures, even on cold dry tarmac.

But not on modern tyres, with compounds formulated for high grip or low rolling resistance, at the expense of dramatically losing grip when it gets cold.

If that was the case then since 99.999% of cars on the road on in the winter have these dangerous summer tyres, why do you not see thousands of them in ditches at the side of the road?

I am sure that in some of the more remote parts of the UK it might be sensible, but for the vast majority of motorists in the UK it is a waste of time and money.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    If that was the case then since 99.999% of cars on the road on in the winter have these dangerous summer tyres, why do you not see thousands of them in ditches at the side of the road?

You do. Or just plain dumped at the side of the road, either bent or - when there's a slight dusting of snow - unable to move.
    I am sure that in some of the more remote parts of the UK it might be sensible, but for the vast majority of motorists in the UK it is a waste of time and money.

I first tried 'em whilst living within a mile of the M25, and was converted VERY quickly.
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be tempted by a set of these:-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89348/vredestein-quatrac-lite-tyre-review

they don't appear to be "that bad" a compromise in any facet of testing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure