The "Grow your wealth by 12% in 2015" thread!

So, the title is pretty self explanatory, but this is the place to be in 2015

In 2015, the aim is to...

Comments

• BarleyGB
    BarleyGB Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Grow my portfolio 12% would be nice.

2012 & 2013 it grew 20/25%, this year significantly more modest, currently at 5.4% and most of that is a recovery over the last 4 weeks. Portfolio is over geared to smaller company funds and those being pretty static has constrained overall growth.

Wishing id been in Indian funds, probably to late on that one.
  • I'm mortgage free today,investing for 1st time jan

so swapping mortgage payments for

Vanguard LifeStrategy 60% Equity Accumulation
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Congratulations.
  • Partly joking with this. There is a thread "save 12k in 20xx" which runs and runs. Then a (parody?) thread "spend £12k in 2015" appeared.

But partly serious. Saving and spending are bread and butter, but asset appreciation, compounding, capital gains and value creation can be the special sauce. £100k growing 12% annually, after 20 years will be £964k, and after 30 years will be £3 million.

I use the Office for National Statistics definition of household wealth http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_362809.pdf which adds up net property, private pension, financial and physical assets.

I guess 2014 (so far) may have been kind to a lot us- what is your strategy for 2015?
  • I don't have a lump sum but will be monthly investing

I'm late in the game,but I want a good nest egg in 11 or 16 years from now

I won't be rich,but comfortable
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • guardian today

The actor Burt Reynolds is having to sell off hundreds of items of personal memorabilia in an attempt to pay outstanding mortgage payments.

The items, being auctioned at The Palms hotel in Las Vegas on 11 and 12 December, include two Golden Globes, a red leather jacket he wore in Smokey and the Bandit II, and – perhaps most kitsch of all – the pair of cowboy boots he wore in Striptease.

Earlier this year, Reynolds attempted to throw out a lawsuit from Bank of America who are trying to foreclose his Florida home, but he was unsuccessful. The bank claims Reynolds hasn’t made any payments on his £700,000 mortgage since 2010, one of three loans held on the property. Reynolds has unsuccessfully tried to sell it, slashing the price from £9m to £2.9m.
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • I think it's going to be all about peripheral Europe in 2015 (Italy, Spain, France) - so perhaps not one for index investors

Good valuations (a lot of residual pessimism), prospect of stimulus, and may benefit from rising inflation (while emerging markets struggle) ... I think Europe may be a success story

I'd be surprised if it was only 12% growth, unless there's a big drag on global markets
  • Stocks have gone up 15% over the last year, but commodities as a class are down 25% and oil is down 30% http://us.spindices.com/index-family/commodities/sp-gsci

makes me want to buy commodities not stocks in 2015
  • Trouble is, financial assets are a small slice of most people's pies. So wins here may not translate to big gains overall. Property and pension form the largest part of most household's wealth, and control over these is limited?

My plans: I have a town garden which is too big but inaccessible. I have a plan to buy a neighbouring property, gain rear access to my garden, and gain permission to build another house. That should do it for a year, but hinges on a number of things lining up at the right time.

I'm going to continue maximise my income from work. That did it in previous years, but there comes a point where that won't do it any more. However a parallel consultancy role might help a bit.

Etc etc
  • black_taxi wrote: »
    I don't have a lump sum but will be monthly investing

I'm late in the game,but I want a good nest egg in 11 or 16 years from now

I won't be rich,but comfortable

I have also been investigating my first investment fund and have also decided on the Vanguard Life strategy 60 but am also considering the Legal and General Multi index 3 fund. I seem to have done nothing but read and read mountains of literature and threads on the subject of investing and am only coming to this late in the game also at the age of 55!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure