Tesco clubcard late payment 1 day

Hi everyone, I stupidly forgot to pay my Tesco credit card this month. (I had a direct debit set up for min payments, I cancelled it with a view to pay manually this month and change it to my 2nd bank account and then completely forgot.) I've never had a late payment before, my credit history is impeccable. Now, it was only late by one day - it was due yesterday and I sent a faster payment today. Not sure if they charged me £12, if they did, any chance Tesco will waive it? And more importantly, any chance they'll remove the mark on my credit history? Thank you!
CC balance: £7445 | paid off so far: £355

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You can only ask.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    1st offence they may wipe it. Setup a direct debit for the minimum amount just in case you forget again.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• licsa
    licsa Posts: 42 Forumite
    Thanks, I just set it up again, the direct debit. The next statement will be generated on the 6th of December, is it possible that a late payment marker won't be applied?
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    licsa wrote: »
    Thanks, I just set it up again, the direct debit. The next statement will be generated on the 6th of December, is it possible that a late payment marker won't be applied?

Late payments are only normally applied if the payment is more than 7 days late. In some instances it won't be applied until the account has entered the next billing cycle, it all depends on the lender really.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2014 at 12:47AM
    Prevention is always better than the cure!

In other words, stopping it going on your file will be easier than getting it removed later. So call them first thing tomorrow, check the FP has been applied to your account, and plead for mercy! Admit your mistake, apologise, and let them know you've got the DD trouble* rectified and so it won't happen again.

Good luck.

* Since you're very close to the next statement date (in terms of working days), be sure to check the next statement and ascertain the DD is in fact set up...otherwise you'll be back in the same position next month!
  • licsa
    Just got off the phone with Tesco, they did waive the £12 and the lady on the phone said that my credit file won't be affected because "we refunded the £12 for you", I asked her twice but I'm not convinced, I don't see the connection between the late payment fee reversal and the credit history file.

@stclair: thanks I really hope that's the case with Tesco as well, I'm so annoyed with myself for letting this happen.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just got off the phone with Tesco, they did waive the £12 and the lady on the phone said that my credit file won't be affected because "we refunded the £12 for you", I asked her twice but I'm not convinced, I don't see the connection between the late payment fee reversal and the credit history file.

@stclair: thanks I really hope that's the case with Tesco as well, I'm so annoyed with myself for letting this happen.

I would wait 6-8 weeks then order a copy of your credit report to check. The best thing to do now is make a note of the time and date of the call should you have any queries in future.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • YorkshireBoy
    stclair wrote: »
    The best thing to do now is make a note of the time and date of the call should you have any queries in future.
    Excellent advice!
  • licsa
    Thanks will do. I always have this thread to refer to :) This site is v useful indeed.

My Tesco account shows on Noddle and it looks like information is up to date, it shows my balance from the 6th of Nov statement, shows all in green and also mentions my limit history and promotional rate (it's their 33-month 0% balance transfer card..) so perhaps I don't need to order a credit report from Experian or Equifax, assuming information reported is the same?

Just checked all my credit cards to make sure DDs are active, even though they're all 0 balance, except for Tesco.
  • YorkshireBoy
    edited 28 November 2014 at 1:17AM
    (it's their 33-month 0% balance transfer card..)
    Did you ask if this 0% intro rate was affected by the late payment?...they usually are, along with interest backdated to the start of the last statement date.

When you breach your T&Cs like this with a 0% intro deal, you've generally 4 things to negotiate:

1. The £12 fee refunded
    2. The late payment marker stopping/removing
    3. The interest already charged (check your next statement, because you may have lost the 0% rate from the date of the last statement)
    4. The interest to be charged going forward (because they've removed the 0% rate)

Back to my original point (now you've thrown in this additional information), I'd call tomorrow during 'office hours' to discuss/clarify all 4 of the above points.

A warning...not many people are successful in getting a satisfactory outcome on all 4 points. There's usually some 'penalty' to pay, eg MBNA will offer you 1.9% APR going forward (point 4), instead of 0%, and insist last months interest still stands (point 3)...according to reports on here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure