PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    @PipneyJane has no-one mentioned adding lime to force the clay particles to flocculate? :) Fab word, isn't it?

If you lime your clay soil, it makes the incredibly=fine clay clump together into more normal-sized particles, which then drain a lot better. Don't use it for your blueberries, though, as it will lower the pH - but if you want to grow almost anything else, then adding lime will really help most clay soil. Roses absolutely thrive on clay, so long as it has a bit of lime and a lot of well-rotted horse-muck! 

I don't know why lime is rarely mentioned these days - possibly because nobody gets to make much of a profit from it as I think it's just the waste from stone-cutting. I think you need to top-dress annually in winter, but it's easy enough and not expensive... 
    @Laura_Elsewhere, no I'd never heard about adding lime.  Blueberries love acidic soil, so I may try and get some before plant them out  (We aren't planting them until the weekend.) 

Thanks for that tip!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @PipneyJane has no-one mentioned adding lime to force the clay particles to flocculate? :) Fab word, isn't it?

If you lime your clay soil, it makes the incredibly=fine clay clump together into more normal-sized particles, which then drain a lot better. Don't use it for your blueberries, though, as it will lower the pH - but if you want to grow almost anything else, then adding lime will really help most clay soil. Roses absolutely thrive on clay, so long as it has a bit of lime and a lot of well-rotted horse-muck! 

I don't know why lime is rarely mentioned these days - possibly because nobody gets to make much of a profit from it as I think it's just the waste from stone-cutting. I think you need to top-dress annually in winter, but it's easy enough and not expensive... 
    @Laura_Elsewhere, no I'd never heard about adding lime.  Blueberries love acidic soil, so I may try and get some before plant them out  (We aren't planting them until the weekend.) 

Thanks for that tip!

- Pip
    Oops, think I got that the wrong way round then - adding lime makes the soil LESS acidic so the blueberries won;t like it. That's clearer... I never did any chemistry so obviously muddled up the raise/lower of pH... 

I'd just add some compost, and put a bit of grit in the bottom for the blueberries - they grow wild on acidic bogs all over Britain's uplands, so they do cope with pretty damp conditions, inc the roots. But not the lime for them :) 
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    boultdj said:
    Crystals is the name on the flask, got it off Amazon, and they do different sizes, the one I've got hold's 3 full kettles worth of water, any left over in the evening goes in the wash bowl for washing the pot's with, this weather we are using it for cold water, for the dilute pop. hth
    Thank you :)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Thanks for that tip!

- Pip
    Oops, think I got that the wrong way round then - adding lime makes the soil LESS acidic so the blueberries won;t like it. That's clearer... I never did any chemistry so obviously muddled up the raise/lower of pH... 

I'd just add some compost, and put a bit of grit in the bottom for the blueberries - they grow wild on acidic bogs all over Britain's uplands, so they do cope with pretty damp conditions, inc the roots. But not the lime for them :) 
    Ahhh.... So lime raises PH not lowers it.  (Yes, that makes sense.)    Just as well that I didn't buy any last night, when we went to B&Q and bought 12 bags of ericaceous compost.  :)

I will keep it in mind, though, when next in a garden centre.  The rest of the garden would probably appreciate being limed.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2020 at 12:59PM
    Options
    I had some apples arrive in a food delivery yesterday and I have apples still in the fruit bowl from last weeks so I shall process and dehydrate them for store, even eating apples make nice desserts so the money we spent on them won't be wasted and neither will they.  Every tiny thing makes a big difference if you remember you've paid for it and every tiny bit I can put into store means a better future.  The oranges I dehydrated last week have worked very well, they took nearly 3 days to dry completely but they'll probably rehydrate well and will certainly make a potpourrie to scent a winter room.

Good productive morning, the 9 tray dehydrator is fully loaded and I've got 3 trays of apple rings, a tray or rosemary, a tray of chopped chives and 4 trays of mint drying to use for winter meals.  Tomorrow I shall tackle the sage patch and I have more onions than I can use so to stop them going to waste I'll fill the rest of the trays with onion rings, it will smell delicious.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    5 trays of sliced onions in the dehydrator this morning, I cried for England but it will be worth it in the winter when I can just grab a handful for a stew. Everything I did yesterday turned out really well and I've rubbed the dried herbs to tiny bits and snipped the rosemary with scissors to make it small enough in sauces, all in jars now and put away in the store.  I'm going to start a 'soup mix' jar and if I get carrots, potatoes, green beans etc more than I need and they start to go over I'm going to dice them small and just mix them all together again to grab a handful for soups and to save waste now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback