PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    boultdj said:
    We had our flat roof done 2 weeks ago, was warmer when we had the couple of cooler day's last week, hope it's the same for you as well squirrelgirl.
    Thanks boultdj!! That's really encouraging news! 😊 
    I've just been on a few gardening sites and discovered that you can use vinegar to make soil acidic (I honestly thought my friend was winding me up! 🙈) - as I already have some multi purpose and plenty of vinegar, I'm going to try it -  it will save money 😉 

I'll be interested to hear the result of your experiment.  I had three blueberry plants delivered yesterday, too, probably from the same place as you did. (Their initials are T & M.)  DH is heading out to B&Q tonight to buy ericaceous compost.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • MingVase
    MingVase Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do blueberries need special compost or soil?
  • missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That’s a useful fact to know that you can add vinegar to compost to make it ericacious.
     I thought I was on a roll with jobs today: fed the dog, myself and the birds; walked the dog; washed the dog’s bottom (don’t ask, dog owners will know); racked off 15 galls of wine - I have to run a bit off to test the SG (specific gravity) and rather than unscrew lid of the fermenter and pour it back in I drank it. I record everything in a book, taste,clarity, SG and whether it’s still fermenting. I worked out that the alcohol content of one was 13.26 but still fermenting and another 15.9 per cent. After that I needed a sit down and fell asleep until my youngest son arrived and woke me up.That will teach me. Even just 30 mls of 15.9 per cent is pretty lethal. I must exercise more restraint.
    It was me that suggested steri strips squirrelgirl. I have 9 grandchildren so they are an absolute essential in my medicine and first aid cupboard.
    The rest of the day has gone to pot but I did manage to set up a hanging basket of cherry tomatoes for my son.  I still need to set one up for myself. I’m going to float through the rest of the day now and leave the home brew alone!
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    boultdj said:
    I've just been gifted a slow cooker, same brand and size of the one I already have.  Said to other half I'll use that one for doing sweet stuff/ bread in. Which should fill us up in winter as well as helping heat the place up.

If we get power cuts, we'll be going to bed, I'll grab the furry one and take her with me, seeing as the heating uses gas and electric, so we will lose both, we do have a gas fire but why stay up watching that burn, especially at the price of gas.  

Plus side, we now have a big 3 litre pump action flask, so we tend to fill that first thing in the morning and use it through the rest of the day. 
    boultdj could I ask what brand of flask you have? I’m looking for something that will keep water really hot, hot enough for numerous cups of tea during the day :)
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Crystals is the name on the flask, got it off Amazon, and they do different sizes, the one I've got hold's 3 full kettles worth of water, any left over in the evening goes in the wash bowl for washing the pot's with, this weather we are using it for cold water, for the dilute pop. hth
    £71.93/ £180.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure