PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• MingVase
    MingVase Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Like Oct today, wind is howling through the double glazing and the rain is battering down/ Not cold now though.
  • helensbiggestfan
    Options
    MingVase said:
    It's like winter already up here!  I've ordered 2 calor gas cylinders for the new heater.

I'm very tempted.....😉
  • MingVase
    edited 23 June 2020 at 8:12AM
    Options
    Got it because we're totally dependent on the big coal stove - but if coal got hard to get or anything went wrong with the chimney, we'd freeze :#
  • MingVase
    edited 23 June 2020 at 8:14AM
    Options
    SUKI it's called the Provence, google Provence blue portable gas heater. I got it from a calor gas company down south.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I,ve had real problems getting carrots to germinate  this year too buts its possibly due to the warm weather earlier in the year  and many seeds, especially lettuce, I find, won't germinate in hot temperatures. It's a nice feeling having colder weather crops growing in your garden when you can just pop out and pick something.  I hope more people will be discovering this pleasure as a result of lockdown. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @squirrelgirl - that sounds really exciting! I look forward to hearing how it goes... will you be alone once your ds & dil move out? I have always wondered whether people living alone in rural areas need to make extra preparations for back-up of stores and contact methods for help from neighbours in case they eg sprain an ankle or worse (I realise as I type this that they almost certainly do and I'm just being a bit slow to catch up here!)...

I lived til I was 45 with 1880s single-glazing, and the last 6 years in a 1990s flat with good double-glazing, and the difference is AMAZING!!! In blustery weather I still sometimes stand by the windows marvelling at the way all the weather stays outside...!!!
    Thanks for the welcome! 😊 No, I won't be alone - I have a long-suffering dh! 😉 😂 
    Missychrissy, thank you too! 😊 I still haven't dug out the demijohns from under the stairs yet as the weekends haven't gone to plan but it's on my list so as soon as I do, I'll post it on the wine/beer making thread 😉 
    The veg is coming on nicely - I haven't had any problems with carrots germinating but I didn’t sow any until towards the end of May, I definitely didn't sow them thin enough though!! 😂  I've had three blueberry plants delivered this week but can't seem to find any ericaceous compost in my immediate locality - a friend has suggested spraying multipurpose stuff with white vinegar but I'm not convinced so will have to keep them in their baby pots until I find some! 
    I'm having my fascias, guttering and flat roof replaced and the work starts on that tomorrow - I'm going to keep any offcuts to use around the garden - I'm hoping that the flat roof redo will help with the heat in the kitchen! I'm basically a reptile and I got a smallish radiator in the kitchen as I used to cook all the time - now that I'm only cooking for dh and I and I always cook enough for several days, it gets pretty cool in the winter!  (ds & dil buy and cook their own stuff but they make little from scratch so the oven is never on for long with them!)
    I'm slowly getting through the paper shredding after liberating about 2 reams of stuff from the wardrobe so will start more 'bricks' at the weekend - I'm also seriously considering building a woodstore now - I just need to find the room in the garden! I need to redesign the front garden as the neighbours are extending their house and adding another floor to the single storey which will overlook our front garden (our houses are at right angles to each other) so the plans I had and intended to start in July are having to be rethought 🤔 I'm thinking that perhaps I can incorporate a woodstore into the new plans...
    Food wise, I'm pretty stocked up for the winter - I'm vegan and buy in bulk so it's rare for me not to have at least 6 months worth of dried/tinned food, toiletries etc in but I will hopefully get another order sorted at the end of the summer anyway 😉 I'll be making elderberry cordial in the autumn- it was too cold and wet to use the flowers this year- so I'll have a bumper crop hopefully! I don't really use much as far as meds go so will need to check what we have in - I assume that there are dates on paracetamol! I'm definitely going to get some steri-strips though (thank you to whoever mentioned those! ) as dh can be pretty clumsy and they have come in useful previously!! 🙈😂 
    This has turned into a bit of a novel so I'll go now!! 😂

• boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had our flat roof done 2 weeks ago, was warmer when we had the couple of cooler day's last week, hope it's the same for you as well squirrelgirl.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boultdj said:
    We had our flat roof done 2 weeks ago, was warmer when we had the couple of cooler day's last week, hope it's the same for you as well squirrelgirl.
    Thanks boultdj!! That's really encouraging news! 😊 
    I've just been on a few gardening sites and discovered that you can use vinegar to make soil acidic (I honestly thought my friend was winding me up! 🙈) - as I already have some multi purpose and plenty of vinegar, I'm going to try it -  it will save money 😉 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback