IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN for stopping in yellow box when turning right

Options
Hello,

First parking fine by the council at a junction I have been driving on for over 8 years.

At Chadwell Heath in 2014, the council decided to put a yellow junction box.

This turning is extremely hard to get out of with normally about 30 cars on Chadwell Heath Lane trying to either turn left, turn right or get across to the turning right lane.

I was trying to get other to the turning right lane but because the traffic is terrible here, my back wheels stopped in the yellow junction box.

At this point I was behind the car for the turning right lane.

I appealed to the council with this:

"I pulled out from Chadwell Heath Lane on the the High Road to join the queue of traffic that oncoming traffic was preventing from turning right"

My appeal was rejected on the grounds of:

"You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear"

I am not sure what to do now, I have attached the original PCN, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You

council.jpg

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pay your fine and don't do it again? I really don't see why it's so hard to comply with a box junction. You can see how big the gap is at the other end so don't go until you know you can clear the box.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Your back wheels haven't stopped in the box - almost the entire car is in the box!

The highway code is very clear on this - you must not enter a box junction until the exit is clear.

I think the exception is if you are turning right (e.g. lights with a box junction) in which case ONE vehicle may enter the box as long as the lights are green when entering.
  • bartmatt
    Options
    The exit road was clear but oncoming traffic was preventing us from turning right.

I am in the lane of traffic to turn right.

I didn't stop for more than 5 secs

You cant go when you can clear the box because the main road fills up the gap.

I feel sorry for the other drivers who cant spare £65 for a PCN that the council have so far in a couple of months handed out 36k of fines in a spot which If i didnt join the back of the que then the main high road would of kept filling up the turning right.

It was enough for a few newspapers to right articles on this one junction box so I thought it was worth adding to here, never mind.
  • BenefitMaster
    Options
    We dont deal with traffic matters, we deal with private parking matters.

Try https://www.pepipoo.com for help with this.
  • bartmatt
    Options
    Thank you very much for the link :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There is an exemption for vehicles turning right, from a box junction. I assume lovinituk was unaware of the exemption and rules about this, and also is unaware that this is a moneysaving site and neither us nor pepipoo often tell people to 'pay your fine'! In fact pepipoo help almost everyone appeal almost every PCN.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Was the right turn from the box itself or was it further up the road? Looking at the picture I suspect the right turn was further up the road in which case it's just a well deserved ticket.
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 November 2014 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    There is an exemption for vehicles turning right, from a box junction. I assume lovinituk was unaware of the exemption and rules about this, and also is unaware that this is a moneysaving site and neither us nor pepipoo often tell people to 'pay your fine'! In fact pepipoo help almost everyone appeal almost every PCN.
    Was the right turn from the box itself or was it further up the road? Looking at the picture I suspect the right turn was further up the road in which case it's just a well deserved ticket.
    As above, by looking at the photos supplied by the OP, the right turn looks further up the road rather than from the box junction itself. In fact you can clearly see the pavement (rather than the right turn) opposite the box junction .

I'm all for helping people get out of unfair fines and I really respect how much of your own time you give to helping people Coupon-mad, but when someone receives a 'valid' fine for just being lazy or impatient then I think they should just pay their due and learn their lesson.

There are certain box junctions in my local area that are there for very good reasons. But idiots regularly stop on them causing all sorts of backlog, gridlock and misery. Those people deserve any fines they receive.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    when someone receives a 'valid' fine for just being lazy or impatient then I think they should just pay their due and learn their lesson.

We will have to agree to disagree then, as I feel the opposite and I also post on pepipoo and help with Council tickets too.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I also post on pepipoo and help with Council tickets too.
    Yes I know you do and I know you do more than most to help others out, which as I said I really do respect.

I just wonder where the line is between deserved and undeserved fines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure