USA sim cards

Comments

• LGDT_2
    LGDT_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Agree about JOLT (OneRoam) - this is the default one that's offered by most of the SIM card websites.

Very unimpressed. Top-ups had to be done very laboriously over the phone whilst in the US. One call took 15 minutes. I coudn't buy top-up cards anywhere. The office was closed at weekends and the one I bought for my mother-in-law was not able to be activated at all.

Going again later in the year and will either buy a pre-pay phone at Wal-Mart or use the T-Mobile option.
  • pazza2000
    pazza2000 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Went for a T-mobile to go sim off ebay. Cost £6 including delivery from the US & $10credit. Just need to phone when im over their to get the sim attributed with a local number!!
  • padzster
    padzster Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm going to NY for 4 days soon. Will be calling home every day to check on the kids etc. Also, will need to call my friend in NY a couple of times to arrange meeting up etc. Is it worth getting a USA SIM or should I just use my UK SIM. I'm on Virgin PAYG with Nokia N80.
    Thanks!
  • I doubt very much if that SIM will be of any use to padzster seeing as they were going to NY about 3 1/2 years ago!
  • :AHi
    I have an iphone and will be traveling to USA and South America I do not want different local sim cards and I would like it to be cheap for the family to call or text any idea's please
    Thanks
  • travellerboy
    travellerboy Posts: 797 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2012 at 3:17PM
    Get a Net10 simcard from Walmart, cheap 200mins for $19.99 and is effective across all US and for International calls - cheapest I saw end of last year. For an extra $10 you will get a new phone as well.
    Google Net10 to see coverage - probably best/cheapest in US and bordering neighbours.
  • I'm going to the US in April and want a unlimited sim like net10 offer but there are loads of bad reviews.
  • Curious to know if anyone has used Red Pocket Mobile in the US and what their thoughts are. Am a dealer for them here in the UK and usually get 100% feedback, has anyone experienced probelms that I should know about. Thanks Brian
  • jeanniebeanie_2
    jeanniebeanie_2 Posts: 635 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2012 at 7:43PM
    Yep, used Red Pocket two years ago in Florida, in fact posted here about it
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2388275&highlight=

I meant to post about my issues when I got back, thanks for reminding me!

I could not get access codes to work, they either didn't connect or I got an 'engaged' tone. Then, all my credit disappeared. Agents kept failing to call back as promised and they struggled to understand my problem as they didn't speak English very well. Eventually they re-credited my balance telling me that the credit was used up in calling the failing codes, but it re-disappeared within minutes. I decided I had stressed enough of my trip over the issue and gave up, going back to the Net10 deal from Walmart.

I think you will have your work cut out!

ETA - Hilljd00 -Never had any problems at all in Florida, Georgia or Carolina with Net10, can't speak for anywhere else
  • Lots I of different options here.
    I have used them myself
    eBay shop usasims
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills