Water Bill - Too High?

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any responses.

Our water bill has gone up significantly since April this year - we're on a water meter. The direct debit is now £47.33 a month. There are only 2 of us - but we are both at home all day.

Our usage from 4th Apr - 17th Sept was 64 cubic meters and the bill was £250.

Does this usage sound too much or about right given we're at home all day? I don't use water to wash the car or water the garden and we don't have a pool or anything crazy like that.

We shower probably ever day, perhaps a bath once a week. Washing machine, dishwasher (put both on probably every day on eco).

Thanks.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2014 at 11:29AM
    The average is about 55cum/per person and year = 110cum for a couple.
    We are at home all day and average about 65cum a year and qualify for Anglian Water's SoLo tariff which works out at about £5cu.m water & sewerage combined - £325p/a = £27/month

We only shower, no baths. The dishwasher & washing machine are only used when they are full (2-3 times a week each)- a half load uses as much water as a full one.

Both toilets are low-flush and all the taps & shower have flow restrictors which reduces the volume of water to about 5-7 litres a minute.

How long do you stand in the shower? - one on full blast for 10 minutes can easily get through 100-150litres of water. Ours for 5 minutes or less at 7lpm = 30-35litres.

The kettle is only filled with enough water to make the tea/coffee.

We do wash the cars and caravan several times a year using a hosepipe with a trigger nozzle and have an automatic watering system for the garden which is on from about May to September.

My wife isn't very water savvy so taps are on full blast to rinse yoghurt pots/cups etc, so flow restrictors on the taps do save a bit there. Pots & pans are washed in the sink rather than in the dishwasher.
    Don't wash hands under running water unless you turn the tap right down.

Flow restrictors and other water saving tips are available from your water company - frequently for free.

We aren't precious about saving water but we don't waste it either.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,376
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2014 at 11:28AM
    Yes, I think that is a lot of water to use.

We use less than 35 cubic metres a year!

There are 2 of us and we are at home all day. We use the washing machine probably twice a week and the dishwasher on Eco about 5 times a week. We only have showers. We have a water butt for garden and car washing.

If we want hot water in the kitchen sink, we always run the cold water that comes out the tap first into a jug to use later for say washing vegetables etc. Generally speaking if I have a 'wee' then my husband will also have one and so we only flush once.
    We never just let the water run away down the plug.

Have you checked for leaks?
  • steeeb
    steeeb Posts: 373 Forumite
    We're not too much over the 110cum for a year I guess. Guess we'll try some water saving measures. Just making sure we're not using stupid amounts and therefore likely have a leak somewhere or something. Thanks.
  • steeeb
    iris wrote: »
    Yes, I think that is a lot of water to use.

We use less than 35 cubic metres a year!

There are 2 of us and we are at home all day. We use the washing machine probably twice a week and the dishwasher on Eco about 5 times a week. We only have showers. We have a water butt for garden and car washing.

If we want hot water in the kitchen sink, we always run the cold water that comes out the tap first into a jug to use later for say washing vegetables etc. Generally speaking if I have a 'wee' then my husband will also have one and so we only flush once.
    We never just let the water run away down the plug.

Have you checked for leaks?

I'm pretty sure we don't have an internal leak. I've turned our water off at the stop tap in the house and then checked the water meter and an hour later it had moved, 2 hours later it didn't though - so I think I didn't leave it long enough to check the first time.

In any case, I'd ideally want to check that over a longer period as there's no way any small-ish link would show on a water meter unless it was over an extended period - but said leak can soon add up over a year!

If we're every away for a weekend then I'll be check, then we'll get an idea if there's a leak from the water meter to where it comes in to our home.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There is usually a leak detector on the meter...but to figure out how to use it you would have to google the type of meter you have.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • steeeb
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    There is usually a leak detector on the meter...but to figure out how to use it you would have to google the type of meter you have.

Interesting. I'll look it up, thanks!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    steeeb wrote: »
    We're not too much over the 110cum for a year I guess. Guess we'll try some water saving measures. Just making sure we're not using stupid amounts and therefore likely have a leak somewhere or something. Thanks.

You are using 140m3 pa if the April to Sep consumption of 64m3 is consistent.

Easy to see if their is a leak by checking meter reading over a period of several hours with no water used.
  • Cyberman60
    Cyberman60 Posts: 2,472
    Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2014 at 11:42AM
    I have a water meter and my bill was 48 quid for six months to July, with usage at 4 cubic meters..... I am often away. ;)
  • steeeb
    Cyberman60 wrote: »
    I have a water meter and my bill was 48 quid for six months to July, with usage at 231 cubic meters. Your usage does not seem to be too much for a couple, but get a meter installed and you will save a fortune as I do. ;)

I have a meter already, it was there when we moved in.
  • steeeb
    Breakdown of that £250 bill:
    Surface water / highway drainage 166 days at £79 a year: £35.93
    Water standing charge 166 days at £39 a year: £16.37
    Wastewater standing charge 166 days at £19 a year: £8.64
    Water 64 cubic meters at £1.635 each: £104.64
    Sewerage 64 cubic meters at £1.331 each £85.18

United Utilities

How are you paying £48 for 6 months for 231 cubic meters? Our surface water and standing charges are more than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure