We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I view my credit report if I am outside the UK?

Options
J33
J33 Posts: 31 Forumite
edited 11 November 2014 at 8:59PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi everyone,

So in about 6 months time I am coming back to the UK.The problem is I cant view my credit report due to lack of a UK credit/debit card.I know that I have a CCJ from 2010 which I found out from trust .gov site. But that's all I know.I am suspecting 2 or 3 defaults.Only my Natwest student account default should be more recent (late 2011-early 2012).The other two with Orange and Sky should be at least 5 years old.

Now is there any way to go round this?Any alternative in order to manage and get an updated credit report so I can finally see EXACTLY what I ll have to face when I come back?

Finally it might be a stupid question but can my bad credit history affect my partner's chances of getting a family permit in the UK?I ll be his EU sponsor.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2014 at 11:48AM
    Options
    I believe the Experian Rep on these boards has in the past said that it can be possible, but is generally harder to do (as they obviously need to be very careful to verify your identity before they can send you your report).

May be worth contacting them for advice.

Edit

Quote from experian rep Jo from a previous thread

You can apply for your UK credit report while overseas, however, we need copy documents linking you to your previous UK address, as well as your current address abroad. If you want full details of the documents we need please email us at:

[EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]uksocialsupport@experian.com[/EMAIL]

I appreciate as its been a while since you lived in the UK, you might not have the documents needed. You might therefore want to wait until your return to the UK before applying for your credit report. We hold account information for six years from the date of closure, so you may find a lot of the account information you used to hold has now dropped off your report.

Regards Jo
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi J33,

The post that Tixy quoted (thanks Tixy!) is still current, you can apply for your Experian report from abroad.
    The £2.00 statutory fee would apply, and we will also require two copies of documentation (such as a bank statement) linking you to both your previous UK address and current address, as well as a copy of documents to confirm your ID such as a passport.

You can download the application form here and send to
    Customer Support Centre
    Experian Ltd
    PO Box 8000
    Nottingham
    NG80 7WF
    Kind Regards Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • J33
    edited 15 November 2014 at 8:31AM
    Options
    Hi J33,

The post that Tixy quoted (thanks Tixy!) is still current, you can apply for your Experian report from abroad.
    The £2.00 statutory fee would apply, and we will also require two copies of documentation (such as a bank statement) linking you to both your previous UK address and current address, as well as a copy of documents to confirm your ID such as a passport.

You can download the application form here and send to
    Customer Support Centre
    Experian Ltd
    PO Box 8000
    Nottingham
    NG80 7WF
    Kind Regards Neil

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.I contacted your consumer help service and they gave me all the additional info,however I am not clear on how the payment of 2 pounds will proceed.

In your application you mention that you accept payment either through postal order or cheque.In my home country postal orders are not available for abroad and I dont have a chequebook.

Do you accept payment via bank transfer ?Alternatively do you accept payment via a visa debit card in my name which is issued in my current overseas address?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Experian are only 1 (of three) firms who compile credit data for their clients and are not the only supplier. Indeed, there may well be things on one that are not listed on the other, so I would be skeptical of you mp getting the full picture from them alone.
  • J33
    Options
    Yes I am aware there are more companies however experian is the only one offering the option to have your credit report abroad.

So could anyone possibly help me on how I am supposed to pay them?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi J33,

We are currently only able to accept cheques and postal orders for overseas applications.

I'm sorry to hear that this is causing you difficulty, do you have anyone based in the UK who could help you out with these?

[EMAIL="UKsocialsupport@experian.com"]Email[/EMAIL] me if you are still having a problem with it.

Regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Noodle may work, as far as I know when I signed up it was instant with few security check questions. Where as experian etc may post you your customer number etc before you can login and check
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    J33 wrote: »
    Finally it might be a stupid question but can my bad credit history affect my partner's chances of getting a family permit in the UK?I ll be his EU sponsor.

No reason why it should.
  • J33
    Options
    Hi J33,

We are currently only able to accept cheques and postal orders for overseas applications.

I'm sorry to hear that this is causing you difficulty, do you have anyone based in the UK who could help you out with these?

[EMAIL="UKsocialsupport@experian.com"]Email[/EMAIL] me if you are still having a problem with it.

Regards
    Neil

Thank you for the response.I have just emailed you.
  • J33
    Options
    Futuristic wrote: »
    Noodle may work, as far as I know when I signed up it was instant with few security check questions. Where as experian etc may post you your customer number etc before you can login and check

Yes but as far as I understand Noodle asks for card details in order to additionally verify your current UK residence.Seeing that my current debit card is registered abroad I believe their system will automatically reject me...Correct me if I am wrong...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport