Cancelling VM, where to next?

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    It's surprising how cheap it can get!
    It's not going to be cheaper than Freeview.
  • Armorica
    Options
    Since Freeview will take the cost down to nought, I don't see any competition if the OP's intention is to save money!

If OP is cancelling everything with Virgin, they won't be able access the internet services you suggest.

which is why I said cancel the TV package (not the internet)....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Armorica wrote: »
    which is why I said cancel the TV package (not the internet)....
    I think the thread is about installing Freeview, not persuading the OP to stay with Virgin for (some) services!:p
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    I forgot, if you want to save £ on cabling the aerial to each room then instruct your aerial installer to just use the preinstalled VM cabling.

Cable aerial to external VM junction box and connect 4 Way splitter or masthead amp as dictated by signal levels.

At each room remove filters and fit a female or male coax / F socket :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Socket-Aerial-Female-Adapter/dp/B003OSRGO8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_1

Or cut the ends off VM cable and install proper wall mounted coax sockets.

Hopefully that's clear.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Armorica wrote: »
    Do you really want to leave VM? If you ring them, they'll probably take the price down to £85-£95.

I pay £85 for Tivo in one room, V+ in another, TV XL, line rental, and the highest broadband.

I am gobsmacked that someone would pay £1,000+ a year for TV and broadband and not even think twice about it and even suggest that's a good deal!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spidernick wrote: »
    I am gobsmacked that someone would pay £1,000+ a year for TV and broadband and not even think twice about it and even suggest that's a good deal!
    To be fair, it's not a "bad" deal either-it's just very expensive to have a top package with Multi-Room. Sky is certainly no cheaper and no other provider can offer anywhere near the channel choice or broadband speed and reliability.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    It's not going to be cheaper than Freeview.

Actually you are wrong about that.

its possible to get the basic virgin TV for free when you have it with the broadband and telephone.
    and if you are good at negotiating, you can actually get the broadband, telephone + tv for cheaper than the broadband + telephone

Plus it will save you having to buy an aerial and any additional boxes.

of course it does depend on what channels you actually watch, if the shows you usually watch arn't on the freeview channels, then it'll be pointless dropping down to freeview
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cycrow wrote: »
    its possible to get the basic virgin TV for free when you have it with the broadband and telephone.

It's not "free" if you have to pay for broadband and telephone! The OP said he wants to cancel with Virgin completely.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes basically.

I was all for ditching the tv but they like to keep u on 3 services and can offer an attractive price.

All I'm saying is don't rule it out until you are offered the price
    And see what u think for the easy option
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family