Cancelling VM, where to next?

Options
I am currently spending an obscene amount of money a month on Virgin Media. I pay £120+ a month, this includes line rental, unlimited broadband, XL tv package (not sports or movies), and 3 multirooms :eek:
I want to cancel completely, but I dont know what to do to get freeview (very naive) lol
I have a smart tv in the living room with built in freeview, but never used that function. I have no aerial on the roof, would i need one fitted? should a purchase a specific brand of freeview box for the 3 bedrooms, and i know it will prob be area specific, but how much should i be paying?

Thanks for taking the time to help! :j

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cancelling Virgin will be painless enough and the money you save each month will more than pay for the installation of roof antennae for your three Freeview boxes.

Freeview decoders are easily and cheaply available, though Humax Freeview PVRs are recommended if you want to pause and record etc.

More details at the link;
    http://www.freeview.co.uk
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Its very unlikley that the TVs you have in the other rooms do not have already freeview decoders in them.
    Do not buy any stbs till you check that out.

Fairly good guide for an aerial install to a semidetached/terraced property in the southeast.

£120-£160 for the aerial install to one room.
    £45-65 per extra room.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its very unlikley that the TVs you have in the other rooms do not have already freeview decoders in them.
    They won't have recording capability, of course. The customer may also want Freeview HD which isn't a given either.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    They won't have recording capability, of course. The customer may also want Freeview HD which isn't a given either.

Dont forget they may want a pink triangle one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TVonics-TVO-STB-111PNK-Portable-Freeview-Colour/dp/B000CR7A3G
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That item is "currently unavailable":p

In all seriousness, why answer sarcastically to suggestions about HD and recording functionality?
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    That item is "currently unavailable":p

In all seriousness, why answer sarcastically to suggestions about HD and recording functionality?

Probably because I have no interest in a conversation with a third party regarding someone elses freeview stbs, its a ridiculous thing to do.

I don't mind however giving some tip top MSE advice to the OP to simply check their TVs before recommending buying new freeview stbs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Probably because I have no interest in a conversation with a third party regarding someone elses freeview stbs, its a ridiculous thing to do.
    Why is is "ridiculous": to point out that HD and recording functionality will not usually be available via the Freeview decoder built into a TV set?

It's not "ridiculous" at all.

I'll leave you to your pink triangle set top box….
  • Armorica
    Options
    Do you really want to leave VM? If you ring them, they'll probably take the price down to £85-£95.

I pay £85 for Tivo in one room, V+ in another, TV XL, line rental, and the highest broadband.

If you're used to lots of channels, then a change to Freeview is a big one (and freeview won't deliver you internet).

You could also thing about changing the way you watch TV. E.g. cancel the TV package and watch TV/movies online through BBC iplayer, netflix, NOW, 4od etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 November 2014 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Armorica wrote: »
    If you ring them, they'll probably take the price down to £85-£95.
    Since Freeview will take the cost down to nought, I don't see any competition if the OP's intention is to save money!
    Armorica wrote: »
    You could also thing about changing the way you watch TV. E.g. cancel the TV package and watch TV/movies online through BBC iplayer, netflix, NOW, 4od etc.

If OP is cancelling everything with Virgin, they won't be able access the internet services you suggest.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would keep the 3 services and just have the basic tv package ( you can keep TiVo )

Ring them and say your thinking of leaving. Don't accept the first price, just say you want to thing about it.

It's surprising how cheap it can get!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport