TalK Talk Connection Fee

Thinking of moving line rental and broadband from BT and Tiscali respectivley. (am aware of all the scare stories, but the emphasis is on saving me money)

Spoke to a TT sales advisor a couple of weeks back who talked me through their various packages and even offered me FREE connection (as opposed to £29.99 as stated on their site).

Went away to think about it, phoned them up again today and they insist on £29.99 as a connection fee. Am aware that I can't rely on the original offer (and sadly don't have the name of the advisor who offered it me) but was just wondering if anyone has had any simlilar offers or managed to get it waived once you've dug your heels in.

I've rang them back 5 times today in the hope of striking lucky with a accomodating sales rep, each time dangling the threat of going with someone else instead, but to no avail so far. Excuses range from "you shouldn't have been offered it in the 1st place" to "we've never offered that" to "that offer ran out on 1st July" etc.

Any success stories out there?

Comments

• patwa_2
    patwa_2 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    I thought the connection fee was only for 'new' customers, not those 'migrating' from an existing provider, even if that provider was not on LLU? Maybe they changed it.

Sadly if you don't have the name of the agent, it's very difficult to trace that offer. The agent may have made the offer of his own back, and if you had his name you would have been able to fight the charge.

H.
    Know me for who I am, not for who I say I am.
  • thanks

I've just been into Carphone Warehouse and been told it IS possible to get the fee waived by means of a cashback on a subsequent bill.

Seems persistance is the key.
  • TalkTalkBoy
    TalkTalkBoy Posts: 153 Forumite
    Hi Jules,

I believe the offer in store at the moment is a £10.00 credit onto your account. The 29.99 connection fee is a recent change by TalkTalk. There used to be a charge of 29.99 for the wired modem which has now moved to a connection fee and the modem is free. The connection fee is placed onto the account automaticlly, there is no way it can be waived.

Regards,

TTBoy
  • Moneyluva
    Moneyluva Posts: 47 Forumite
    In my experience TT are nothing short of liars and conmen :mad: . This may sound strong but its justified.

When I started my dealings with them I was told I wasnt in a free internet area so I told them I wasnt interested then, he then tapped away at his PC and said, "hang on, yes you are eligible for free BB". I signed up a happy chappie... until the contract dropped through the door with a £10 for the FREE BB!!! I rang them and was given the runaround for weeks.... I eventually gave up as it was still the cheapest phone/ internet option despite the disgusting way I was missold!.

Then I came to move, all I can say is, dont bother moving with TT. Cutting it short, they said that they cant touch lines BY LAW and that I needed to get the new line put into my name, then pay BT £70 to cancel and move back to TT!!!. I rang BT who advised that they would love to have me as a customer but that TT COULD transfer the line as of May 2007 if they wanted to but they choose not to as its expensive!!!

I rang TT back and was given the same garbage, however, after about 20mins of me explaining how disgusting it was that they cant move the line the agent cocked up and said "until we have been trained......". I jumped on this and asked if it was a training issue or a legal matter and she finally accepted that it was due to a lack of training (despite previously slagging BT off!!!). She then said that she could give me £20 good will gesture to compensate for the £70 BT bill, I accepted as "owts better then nowt" so she said to organise the line and call her back to have the account credited.

I did this and then called back, but her colleague said she was busy and would call at 1pm (unusual as it was only 10am??). Anyway, stopped in all day packing and at 2pm no call, so called back, apparently she had put a note no screen saying she had called me and left a message THIS IS A COMPLETE LIE!!!!!! There were no messages and my phone had not rung, anyway, I asked if he could sort the £20 credit, he then told me that this would not have been offered as they cant do that. I asked why I had a piece of paper infront of me with her name and a note of the £20 credit (as I dont do drugs or drink much I doubt I dreamt it!!), he said it was probably a "misunderstanding" yeah right, all the other lies I've had from them!!!

Basically, I think you can kiss your money goodbye, the company is rotten to the core, they seem to employ very underhanded tactics and will lie to you and tell you whatever rubbish they want to get you off the phone.

Im ranting but thats because I HATE the company with a passion, I spent the best part of my sons birthday talking to TT muppets and got nowhere....... steer clear, BE CAREFUL, DONT SAY I DIDNT WARN YOU!!!
  • yep, just done this to me too.
    told me £69.99 fee would be reduced to £39.99. #
    got confirmation letter saying £69.99 so i called them and they reassured me it was a routine letter and that i would be charged £69.99 in first bill then issued refund.
    got charged £69.99 in first bill. i emailed then to confirm i'd get refund.
    now saying no record of it and that unless i have evidence no chance of getting my £30 back.
    so...
    EITHER AVOID TALK TALK OR GET EVERYTHING THEY PROMISE YOU IN WRITING!
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    I think the problem with TalkTalk is that they have so many free-lance agents selling their services that they cannot control the promises that are made.
    Unfortunately, this is not confined to TalkTalk. TalkTalk's other problem (if it is one) is that they must be the largest (or second largest) provider in the country and, by virtue of that, they must also get the highest number of complaints - a situation obviously true by the number of postings on this web site.

I've been with them for about 4 years and have only had two connection problems and one billing problem with them in that time, all of which were handled expertly and resolved in a short time.

If you are already a customer, the easiest way of getting a problem resolved is to log into your account on their web page and post the problem into their Forums - their agents pick these up quite quickly and deal with them - and you've got the response in writing.

Their telephone support is long-winded and rubbish, but their forum support is excellent.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi jules,

It si the case that sales agents can offer ad-hoc promotions in order to secure a sale. These may include things such as free connections free routers etc.

The offers made in this manner must be honoured by the agent making the offer. Calling back at a later time wouldnt facilitate this, unless the offer is specifically recorded in the notes on your account in respect to your callback. If this is not done there is no record of the offer so this may not be honoured by the next sales agent.

Although the offer may be repeated as it is not a standard promotion (such as those sen on the TT website advertised to all new customers) at this time there is no assurance this will be the case.

Regards
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I placed an order with TT after being promised a connection fee of £39.99 on 19/6/10.
    First bill arrived and included connection fee of £69.99. Rang on 16/8/10 and was told £30 would be creditted in September bill. September bill arrived and there was no refund.
    Rang today (29/9 and was now told the £30 would be taken off 2nd OR 3rd months bill. Will this go on indefinitely?
    As they can set the 1st bill up to charge you, how come they are unable just to take the £30 off at the same time? or are they hoping people will forget or give up complaining? OFT or Ombudsman needs to be looking at this.

I'd like someone from TalkTalk to contact me about this diabolical 'Customer Service'.
  • I have TT and they have been reasonably good, had to pay to get connected as previous tennant had it disconnected. but after that its been fine since upgraded to the pro package with cheaper calls to mobiles etc and unlimited BB which is proper unlimited and faster than before about 11Mb and BT only offer 8Mb
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi mjcannar,

The credit is usually applied on your 1st or 2nd bill.

If this is not applied by your third invoice we can investigate into this for you.

If you join the TalkTalk members forum we can provide you more assistance on this matter.

Regards

Mark
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure