How to obtain credit reports - Page 40

New Post Advanced Search

How to obtain credit reports

edited 29 August 2013 at 4:07PM in Credit File & Ratings
895 replies 312.3K views

Replies

• chipzchipz Forumite
    25 posts
    reading my credit reports is a big anticlimax. every year its the same sh*t different black spot to work on. i'm keeping an eye on my score at experian.co.uk
  • Can anyone advise me please on the following.
    I have had 3 or 4 different credit cards with longish 0% on purchases over the last 3 years or so. I closed each as the zero period ended before taking out the next having always paid at least half the balance each month. However I was refused recently by 2 different banks when I tried to get another. The only difference being that I still have the last card running and at first wondered if that was why I was refused. I will be closing that one down next month and have opted to apply for the 'creditexpert' free one month trial to see if there is anything else which might be affecting my credit worthiness. (though I have no loans,mortgage or outstanding money owing). I have been asked to send id documentation to experian which worries me a bit.
    Having just read the advice on this site I'm panicking reading that its a mistake to make 2 applications close together and that this can despite everything else being fine, ruin one's credit rating for ages.
    When will it be safe to re-apply for a new card,should my report from Experian be ok,bearing in mind I last applied to Bank of scotland in early June this year.
    Any thoughts welcome.
  • Moggles_2Moggles_2 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    I have been asked to send id documentation to Experian which worries me a bit.
    That would worry me too. Are you on the electoral roll at your current address?
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Yes I am on the electoral roll, have been for 8 years or so ! though in some databases my address doesnt come up as its a bit unusual and other times comes up wrong and needs correcting. that may have been the case in at lest one of my recent card applications come to think of it. wonder now if as I tried to alter it a bit that was seen as suspicious ?
    6.1K posts
    greyjaybee wrote: »
    In some databases my address doesn't come up as it's a bit unusual and other times comes up wrong and needs correcting. That may have been the case in at laest one of my recent card applications come to think of it. Wonder now if, as I tried to alter it a bit, that was seen as suspicious ?
    Not suspicious, but your address is the nub of your problem. I'd put money on it.

If I were you, I'd inspect the electoral roll. You can do this at your nearest public library. Pay particular attention to the format of your address. An extra line may be inserted/omitted or the order reversed, where new build, a house name or a block of flats is involved or where a landlord has converted a house to flats. You'd be surprised how often discrepancies arise. It's not necessarily an error. Very often it comes down to a difference of opinion as to how an address should be formatted rather than an actual mistake.

With luck, it'll be purely a question of checking the register and sticking with that version. Provided that you're consistent when completing all your paperwork, you should be okay. When you apply for credit facilities, bank accounts or to the credit reference agencies, ensure your address matches the details as they appear on the electoral roll and you won't be asked to send ID.

PS. Don't worry if your address is formatted differently on council tax bills and the like. It's the electoral roll version that counts when you apply for credit ;)
  • Its real kind of you to take the time and trouble to advise me in this way and so interesting. It never occurred to me that it might simply be a descrepancy over my address which might be the problem here !
    One last thing, as I often encounter this postcode database problem when applying online would you agree with me its best to not apply online but to ask for an application form to make sure I put down the address as I know it appears on the electoral register without any 'tinkering' ?
    Thanks so much again.......
    6.1K posts
    greyjaybee wrote: »
    It's real kind of you to take the time and trouble to advise me in this way and so interesting. It never occurred to me that it might simply be a discrepancy over my address which might be the problem here! One last thing, as I often encounter this postcode database problem when applying online, would you agree with me it's best not to apply online, but to ask for an application form to make sure I put down the address as I know it appears on the electoral register without any 'tinkering'?
    Absolutely, otherwise the credit reference agencies may not find you on their database, even though you've lived at the same address for years.

Most credit decisions are computerised and lenders give instant decisions and credit limits, provided that your identity, available credit and so on can be verified electronically via the CRAs, which in turn collate data from public records such as the electoral register.

Because of the sheer volume of applications received, some lenders routinely reject applicants whose identity cannot be verified electronically. Also, banks tend to start asking for certified copies of everything before they'll contemplate even an internet savings account!
  • edited 6 August 2009 at 4:44AM
    kskristinesmithkskristinesmith Forumite
    1 posts
    edited 6 August 2009 at 4:44AM
    Your Access to Free Credit Reports

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s consumer reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to consumer reporting companies.

Kristine
  • CannyJockCannyJock Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Your Access to Free Credit Reports

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s consumer reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to consumer reporting companies.
    Kristine

Thanks. Hopefully this will be of some benefit to our US readers :)
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • I just tried to get a statutory credit report from http://www.wiseconsumer.uk.experian.com

When it comes to clicking thru that first page I get a warning that 'the site certificate is not secure - this may be a site pretending to be from Experian'

Anyone have a similar problem, or know if it's ok to go ahead with the order?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support