Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.

Options

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The batteries are around £40 a pair (they have 2 in the plastic casing), easy to change as you just unscrew the case and take the old ones out, plug 5e new ones in and do it all back up. The batteries are kept in place in the plastic housing by strong Velcro at the bottom and that can be a bit of a nightmare to unhook them from but nothing DS wouldn't be able to help you with. The battery case lifts off the scooter in most cases so you can take it in to charge...they like a long (trickle charge).
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Pooky.
    Very helpful :)
    When do you move?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,321 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr SA keeps his scooter outside under a covered area (just a lean to with corrugated plastic roof). Glad you're getting one, you won't regret it. Mr SA rents his via Motability.

So sorry to hear about Jill :( She's spending her last days in a loving home, bless her xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Mr SA keeps his scooter outside under a covered area (just a lean to with corrugated plastic roof). Glad you're getting one, you won't regret it. Mr SA rents his via Motability.

So sorry to hear about Jill :( She's spending her last days in a loving home, bless her xx

My car is through mobility so unfortunatly cant do scooter
    through them xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 May 2019 at 7:43AM
    Options
    Is there room for a small shed/bike storage type thing in your front garden or do you have side/rear access to your garden where you could put one? You also need to think about what type of scooter you want. The ones that fold/come to bits for the car are great for short trips and lovely flat even ground but if you need something for hills/bigger kerbs etc then you'd need one of the larger more sturdy road legal types that can go up to 8mph. DH has one of each, both have fittings for the hoist so either can go in the car depending on what we're doing. A walk across the fields and countryside near here for me is fairly flat but DH needs the bigger sturdier scooter for that and we save the smaller one for supermarket/town centre stuff.

You could always speak to motability about changing your car early and getting the hoist fitted then your scooter can just stay in the car and you can remove the battery for charging when needed. They were so helpful when we did that, we'd only had the last car a year before we needed the hoist and it was all done and sorted within a month for us.

And moving wise...no dates set yet, the seller of the bungalow we are buying is having trouble finding something suitable, luckily our buyers are renting and happy to hold on so fingers crossed it won't be long. I'm so excited.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Thanks Pooky.
    One scooter at the moment will be enough for me :eek:

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning Beanie :) hope all is well in your world. Lots of good tips about the scooter for you to think about when the time comes. Have a lovely day. xx
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Beanie, just popping my head round the door as you visited my diary recently. :hello:

Your Best Boy is a grand age for a cat, I hope he is keeping well. :) My old cat has just turned 11 & I thought that was old! He is a Siamese though & they have been so inbred for years that they generally don't live much past 12. Hoping against hope that my old cat lasts much longer than that as we've had him since he was a kitten & he's my little kitty shadow. Would be heartbroken without him. :( Oh dear that turned a bit maudlin. :rotfl:

Also wanted to join in the "cries at Casualty" club - I blame my pregnancy hormones as the slightest thing sets me off. DH just laughs at me. :o:rotfl:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,586 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brilliant news about the windfall :T:T I’m so pleased for you.
    I’m sure the scooter will make a big difference to you. Have you seen the electric wheels that can be added to a wheelchair. My brother uses a chair a lot of the time but is struggling recently and he can’t manage to put a scooter into the car as it’d be too heavy and has no where to store one. Someone suggested these motorised wheels to him - he’s just had them fitted (took a while) but he can take them off to put in his car like he did before although they are heavier they’re not as heavy as a scooter. I haven’t seen him since he’s had them but he is chuffed - might be worth looking at to see if they’d be suitable for you. They were quite expensive but I don’t know how expensive scooters are.
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Morning Beanie :) hope all is well in your world. Lots of good tips about the scooter for you to think about when the time comes. Have a lovely day. xx

Had a good day.
    Mr N was 19 today & not FRiday.
    DS & GF popped in to see him earlier:T xx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback