Mini meltdown and light bulb moment

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi AleMrT

Sounds like you're doing fab :) great news that you got the £100 back from your manager. When is it you're off on holiday?
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10814.10/£15000 (72.1% saved). Emergency fund - £1562.44/£2000 (78.1% saved).
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Misstara we go away on 30th April for 5 days to St Ives. We're off up north this Wednesday for a few days, then in London for a charity conference on 7th March. Lots to look forward to, and we only have to pay out for St Ives :T
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Yay, we're off up North!:j Things with OH are great at the moment, not so great on the bank balance but looking forward to spending five whole days in a beautiful part of the country with not a lot to pay for.
    i will have sporadic Internet access so will catch up on diaries and do an update post when we get back.
    :T:)
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope you have a great time!
    Starting again..
  • misstara
    Options
    Have a fab time away :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10814.10/£15000 (72.1% saved). Emergency fund - £1562.44/£2000 (78.1% saved).
  • October_Starter
    Options
    Have a lovely time Mrs T xxx

October xx
  • AleMrsT
    edited 18 February 2015 at 9:19AM
    Options
    So, we're home!! we got back on Sunday actually but I've not had chance to post until now.
    I did not spend a penny whilst we were away :j:T HOWEVER, OH did as we went out for the day on Thursday and had a lovely lunch, bought sweets and fudge, then on Saturday we went for a meal at our favourite restaurant, we've been back every year for 3 years, it really is that good! No pretentious valentines menu either, just excellent food, cooked well.
    I'm guessing OH spent around £150 in total :eek: that includes 3 lots of car parking as there are no free car parks at all, I bet we spent the good part of £30 on parking alone.

I did withdraw £20 cash to buy a 10 journey saver ticket for the bus for the next couple of weeks until pay day, I shouldn't need to scrape around for bus fare now, and I still have £36.36 in my account, with just my Vodafone :mad: bill of £17 to pay, so fingers crossed I'll be ok until pay day :eek:

I really need to get all of our DVDs CD's and books scanned into the zapper app to send off for cash, but OH still hasn't got round to getting the boxes out of the loft.

He'll have to do it soon, as we have to move out :eek: The landlord contacted us on Monday to say his brother and girlfriend need to move in to the house with their baby (they are family friends so I was expecting this really as I know I'd do the same for my sister if we'd got a house that she could live in).

I'm excited about house hunting, hubby is dreading moving. Although I work for an estate agent, I'm looking for a private let, as the agency fees are so expensive (I know this is hypocritical of me when its my job to encourage people to pay letting agency fees :rotfl:) and we wouldn't pass the credit checks anyway so there is no point! Our only suitable guarantor lives 220 miles away.
    My manager has said if we find a suitable house advertised through work then obviously we can figure something out with the fees and references, but we have NOTHING listed that is still available and/or nice enough to move in to! We have until the end of April (the day we go on holiday!! - the joys) to move out.

This means that we now have to find at least £1000 by April. I had considered cancelling the holiday, but this will mean losing the deposit, and we wont really gain much in terms of savings as that money is already in the bank.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: I think I'm going to have to go cap in hand to my grandparents for a loan, as there is no way we can find that, as well as agency fees if we do have to go elsewhere if work doesn't come up with anything.

It really gives you some perspective when the shoe is on the other foot!
    I know agency fees are expensive, and most are grossly overcharging, ours are 'reasonable' but certainly not 'justified' and I am a keen believer that agents should be regulated more stringently and fees should be capped, I've always thought this, and I am even more convinced that it is the only way to redeem the reputation of letting agents!!

Anyway, that's all for me today, I have to look after my niece as my mum is not well today, she had a tooth out yesterday because she had an abscess so she's in pain today and hasn't slept.

Off to get showered and ready, as I also have a house viewing this afternoon which my sister is coming to with me, I know that presentation and first impressions (of the viewer!!!) have a big impact on whether the agent a) likes you, b) will fight for you to get the house c) help you out!
    Scruffy and rude = no thank you!
    Neat, friendly and curious but not too inquisitive = easy viewing and a good service to follow. :)
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pleased you had a good, spend free weekend!
    Starting again..
  • misstara
    Options
    Yay for not spending any money while you were away :T Sounds like you had a lovely time.

I hope your grandparents are able to help you out with a loan for a new place. I dread to think what we would do if our landlord decided to terminate our lease as we don't have any savings.

Have a good day with your niece :)
  • October_Starter
    Options
    Wow sounds like you had a lovely break and it seems to have lifted your spirits no end.

Good luck with the house hunting. I know how it goes with letting agency fees. I had real trouble finding a flat that wasn't going to cost me nearly £2000 to move in. I am looking for a 2 bedroom place for OH and I but we are just keeping an eye on the market until I get my new job.

October xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport