Forum Home» Phones & TV

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
67 replies 11.5K views
123457»

Replies

• SandBoy wrote: »
    I received the email on 12th,contacted them this week after doing a great deal with another provider,Talk Talk could not do anything better because fibre is not available in our area......told them I was cancelling within the 30 day notice period and that "officially" my contract was to end in Feb 2015.I was assured there would be no cancellation charges.
    Today letter received stating " a contract breakage charge is applicable" for £37.71p as well as the "upfront" monthly fees,despite several phone calls today,not one of their "reps" can give me an answer,except saying "I have cancelled my contract"....."YUP I have,but I have cancelled under the regulations and the 30 day rule"........they keep saying "whats that".......arggghhhhh!!!!

Exact same issue i have, however i never received an email about the increase. Spoke to them who also assured me that i wouldn't be liable for charges. Today i get a letter £230.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mattyl wrote: »
    Exact same issue i have, however i never received an email about the increase. Spoke to them who also assured me that i wouldn't be liable for charges. Today i get a letter £230.

A good place to address such issues is their dedicated forum

http://community.talktalk.co.uk/
  • Yes those of us who don't get a regular wage paid at the same time every month or week can end up being charged a fee of £10 if they don't pay by the payment due date. I have also been charged a non payment by direct debit fee of £4.50. Because I choose to pay by standing order, or online, as in the past when I used to pay by direct debit I have been put overdrawn at my bank by talktalk taking more than they should, and one month by them taking two payments.This cost me in charges at the bank. So I thought if I paid by standing order I could keep better control of who takes my money. I can't help but feel really annoyed that I am being charged to pay my bill and also charged for not paying my bill by the date talktalk choose. However bearing in mind that some of the months charges are payable in advance for a service I haven't yet received, so how can they be allowed to charge me for not paying for something that I haven't had yet? If anyone can explain logically how they get away with this I would love to know!
  • I discovered this price hike too late sadly when I got my December bill, but I didn't realise I could do anything about it until I read that I can leave for free if I recieve the letter about the price increaces.

I did NOT recieve any notification at all! no letter, no email but it has been over 30 days since they increased the prices. Am I still allowed to call them and cancel now?

Also, I think its disgusting that these companies are allowed to do this when you sign up for a 12 month contract and offer you money saving deals, (because your trying to save money!) and yet they are allowed to change their prices in the middle of a contract! companies shouldn't be allowed to do this.
  • anactuaryanactuary Forumite
    700 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    loriana87 wrote: »
    Also, I think its disgusting that these companies are allowed to do this when you sign up for a 12 month contract and offer you money saving deals, (because your trying to save money!) and yet they are allowed to change their prices in the middle of a contract! companies shouldn't be allowed to do this.

That's why they have to let you leave penalty-free, but I agree that prices should be fixed for your minimum term.
    You could try contacting them by online message (you can then keep a copy of the conversation) to see if they'll offer you a discount. When I tried, they offered me £10 discount to stay offsetting the price increase. I wasn't happy so rang instead and got a year's line rental for £132 (matching EE). The best deals seem to be obtained by ringing, the same as with Sky.

Someone else may be able to confirm whether you can still leave penalty-free given the time that's elapsed.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I don't think it comes as any surprise really, when Talk Talk raised their line rental saver it was only a matter of when not if normal line rental would also rise.
  • RedRuby_2RedRuby_2 Forumite
    114 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I just checked my bank account and noticed that my broadband payments had been increase by £5 from December 2014 and I didn't know. I didn't received any letter or notification that their was going to be a price hike yet alone one by so much. I've had my account with AOL for years and was one of their legacy customers. This price hike has nearly doubled my payments.

I'm in a bit of a quandary as I might be moving later on in the year, so is it worth me kicking up a fuss and leaving now or waiting till later once I've moved.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support