Forum Home» Phones & TV

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
67 replies 11.5K views

Replies

• anactuaryanactuary Forumite
    700 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    maggiecon wrote: »
    I went on the online chat with them, this afternoon, spent an hour and a half trying to get something sorted. They offered me a reduction of £1.75 on my broadband and £5 on my fibre for 12 months. I currently pay £27.70 per month but the girl tried to tell me with the discount I would be paying £23.45 per month. I kept arguing with her that her maths was wrong, but the chat session timed out. Now I have to go and try it all over again!!
    I was offered similar and then free broadband if I agreed to a new 12m contract.
  • 20102010 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    markymids wrote: »
    That was easy, they have now changed me from Plus to Simply Broadband, here's the chat transcript I just had, only took 10 minutes :)

I don`t think it`s a good idea to put private conversations in a post.
    The next thing you know is online chat will be done away with and then everyone will suffer.
    It`s the best method to speak to TT for obvious reasons, you`ve got an exact record of what was said for future reference if they try to "alter" what was said.

Maybe you`ll edit your post for the above reason.
  • anactuaryanactuary Forumite
    700 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    maggiecon wrote: »
    I went on the online chat with them, this afternoon, spent an hour and a half trying to get something sorted. They offered me a reduction of £1.75 on my broadband and £5 on my fibre for 12 months. I currently pay £27.70 per month but the girl tried to tell me with the discount I would be paying £23.45 per month. I kept arguing with her that her maths was wrong, but the chat session timed out. Now I have to go and try it all over again!!

I tried phoning, not having had much success using the chat method and they offered 12m line rental for £132 matching the EE price with £1.75 per month broadband for 12m - hope that helps someone.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a look on Martin's post about the Post office phone deal and he says you can, also I phoned them now and they confirmed you can
    However the 5.75 anytime per month is a cracking deal including UK mobiles and some international calls all for the same bundle
    Have a look at the pricing area for more information

Also regarding the Post Office Cashback.......'phone packages bit'
    Send mail and more with the Post Office. Buy car and other insurance, as well as broadband, currency and phone packages, and earn cashback rewards.arding the cashback here is what it says on Topcashback

However if you phone them you can get three months free for changing on the phone.I will see on Saturday if they accept the value line rental at 120.00 and give Mum 15 months or have to join that close to the end of the three free months(Hopefully they don't jump up the price by then)

I understand from them that the free three months means that you can't have the £120 advance line rental. You can have one or the other - but not both, they say.

So if you take the free 3 months now, when you come to pay for a year in advance it will have increased from £120 to £144 - taking away most of the saving to be had from the free three months!

Had almost decided to switch - that's probably changed my mind, though!

Any better deals around than the Post Office at the moment for phone only?
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    I understand from them that the free three months means that you can't have the £120 advance line rental. You can have one or the other - but not both, they say.

No she got both from KAZ

So if you take the free 3 months now, when you come to pay for a year in advance it will have increased from £120 to £144 - taking away most of the saving to be had from the free three months!

Had almost decided to switch - that's probably changed my mind, though!

Any better deals around than the Post Office at the moment for phone only?

Well on Saturday my mother switched to the cracking Post Office Homephone deal and was advised line will be active from 24/11.Yes she received three months free line rental(saving £39) and will see how much the actual yearly line rental will cost.At the moment it is £120 pa

As there is no contract with the Post Office she is free to leave after if the line rental was to increase giving the notice required

I must say that Talk Talk made huge efforts on webchat to try and
    keep here with them
    They wanted to reduce the line rental to match the PO so offered
    £50.20 however were unable to match the free weekends calls to 40international countries and free mobile calls all for just 5.75 per month

This is a decent deal for non broadband customers and people who are happy to pay their paper bill without extra charges for the paper bill and paying over the counter
    She however is happy with DD and paperless

I do expect the PO to get quiet a bit of business however while the other main players inflate those line rental charges,it is worth pointing out that the yearly PO line rental is quiet a good saving as it stands

There is also a £20 recommandation sign up bonus(£10 each)if you know of others intrested
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well on Saturday my mother switched to the cracking Post Office Homephone deal and was advised line will be active from 24/11.Yes she received three months free line rental(saving £39) and will see how much the actual yearly line rental will cost.At the moment it is £120 pa

As there is no contract with the Post Office she is free to leave after if the line rental was to increase giving the notice required

I must say that Talk Talk made huge efforts on webchat to try and
    keep here with them
    They wanted to reduce the line rental to match the PO so offered
    £50.20 however were unable to match the free weekends calls to 40international countries and free mobile calls all for just 5.75 per month

This is a decent deal for non broadband customers and people who are happy to pay their paper bill without extra charges for the paper bill and paying over the counter
    She however is happy with DD and paperless

I do expect the PO to get quiet a bit of business however while the other main players inflate those line rental charges,it is worth pointing out that the yearly PO line rental is quiet a good saving as it stands

There is also a £20 recommandation sign up bonus(£10 each)if you know of others intrested

Thanks for the follow-up - it's useful. Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know if it's possible for your mother, now she's signed up, to take advantage of the £120 pa Line Rental saver, in view of the following increase (they told me it wasn't possible, but that could be wrong):

We're changing some of our prices from 5th January 2015

HomePhone pricing

HomePhone Line Rental will rise from £13 to £15 a month.

Line Rental Saver will increase from £120 to £144 pa. This will only affect customers when their current Line Rental saver payment expires. . If you would like to add Line Rental Saver to your account please call us – you can lock in the equivalent of £10/month line rental for the next year if you take this out before 5th Jan 2015.

The Evening & Weekend call package will go up by 25p to £1.50 per month.
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    Thanks for the follow-up - it's useful. Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know if it's possible for your mother, now she's signed up, to take advantage of the £120 pa Line Rental saver, in view of the following increase (they told me it wasn't possible, but that could be wrong):

We're changing some of our prices from 5th January 2015

HomePhone pricing

HomePhone Line Rental will rise from £13 to £15 a month.

Line Rental Saver will increase from £120 to £144 pa. This will only affect customers when their current Line Rental saver payment expires. . If you would like to add Line Rental Saver to your account please call us – you can lock in the equivalent of £10/month line rental for the next year if you take this out before 5th Jan 2015.

The Evening & Weekend call package will go up by 25p to £1.50 per month.

The adviser said to buy the line rental saver after however we will
    go back to them to book it before the price increase
    Thank you for the tip
    They may even not increase the anytime call package for us too
    We will ask in a few days time and write back here

In summary a 15 month deal could be possible for £120 line rental
    which is I think a very good deal.
  • I received the email on 12th,contacted them this week after doing a great deal with another provider,Talk Talk could not do anything better because fibre is not available in our area......told them I was cancelling within the 30 day notice period and that "officially" my contract was to end in Feb 2015.I was assured there would be no cancellation charges.
    Today letter received stating " a contract breakage charge is applicable" for £37.71p as well as the "upfront" monthly fees,despite several phone calls today,not one of their "reps" can give me an answer,except saying "I have cancelled my contract"....."YUP I have,but I have cancelled under the regulations and the 30 day rule"........they keep saying "whats that".......arggghhhhh!!!!
  • united4everunited4ever Forumite
    386 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    well, just called up and the best they could offer me was £2.25 a month with £160 line rental paid up front. Thing is, I hardly use the phone so thinking about ditching the phone part of the contract but it seems it doesn't get much cheaper for broadband only.

Any ideas on the cheapest way to get wi fi only?
  • edited 5 December 2014 at 4:45PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 December 2014 at 4:45PM
    Speaking to them last night on my daughter's behalf to change her package I had to tell the csa that unlimited calls at £7.50 now included mobile calls when he tried to say she needed both ll + mob boosts, we then got put on hold and cut off, not happy.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support