severn trent heavy handed tactics

in Water bills
4 replies 1.1K views
Hi,
We received a bill for approx £40 from Severn Trent dated 01/10/14, we've had a lot going on with a death and threatened redundancy so unfortunately this was forgotten.., so today, the 20/10/14 we receive a letter threatening court action if it's not paid in 14 days. This has made me really angry, I fully intend to pay it but, is there a way that I can make them pay for their heavy handed tactics without actually getting into trouble?

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum.

This type of letter is computer generated after xx days; it probably hasn't even been read by a 'human'.

It really isn't worth getting angry about.

One of the advantages of Direct Debits is you avoid these type of situations.
  • Write a scathing letter to the head office, it get's it off your chest if nothing else.

I did the same years ago when I disputed a car insurance charge and Halifax passed it onto a debt collecting agency before I had chance to pay it. I really let rip, it didn't achieve much but made me feel a whole lot better.
    Out on blue six..
    It's Chips and Jackets, Peas and Trousers.
  • As has been said, it is just a standard letter that is sent out whenever an account goes so many days behind.
    You can always give them a call and explain the situation if you want but if you intend to pay it anyway, I would perhaps just pay it and forget about it , it sounds as if you have enough on your mind anyway.
  • peliroccopelirocco Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wonder what your views would be if it was your employer who hadnt paid you ?
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals