Hive price for non BG customers

Options
13»

Comments

• ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed, hence Evohome making it as easy as pressing a button on a touch screen! There's no getting away from it, compared to Evohome all the single zone smart meters like Hive are rudimentary.

I agree, but the vast majority of people prefer simple but more efficient control in my experience. You can only zone areas if you keep them separate by closing internal doors and gaps and I just find almost nobody ever does this, hence most thermostatic rad valves fitted are virtually useless.

I'm sure there are uses for programmable rad valves but they have been around for a good 15 years and in the thousands of properties I have visited I have never seen one, I've seen the odd level in a property zoned which makes sense but I'm not sure there's really a market for these micro controls.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ollski wrote: »
    I agree, but the vast majority of people prefer simple but more efficient control in my experience. You can only zone areas if you keep them separate by closing internal doors and gaps and I just find almost nobody ever does this, hence most thermostatic rad valves fitted are virtually useless.

This is pretty much what we do. TRVs in bedrooms are set a bit lower than those in the living areas. We keep bedroom doors shut all day, sometimes with windows open to air bedrooms / shower rooms.

In the evening, wandering up and down and in the process of getting ready for bed the bedroom doors are open and the bedrooms warm up.

So I suppose that is a crude two zone system, but it works for us.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ours is zoned but as I can't get my wife to shut doors it's a waste of time.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I think people forget the obvious benefit.

when you go to bed and forget to turn off the heating. Rather than go downstairs, I open the window, but this way, i can just turn it off/down when I am in bed from my iphone.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My programmable stat does that.
    If I want an extra hour or two or heat because I want to stay up late then it's a one button press and it doesn't forget to turn it back on the next day at the correct time and temperature.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    My programmable stat does that.
    If I want an extra hour or two or heat because I want to stay up late then it's a one button press and it doesn't forget to turn it back on the next day at the correct time and temperature.

When you say programmable stat do you mean one that controls the whole house and not individual rooms?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure