Having problems on lighting our new multi fuel stove

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    inherited an electric firelighter that must be 50+ years old and it really is great.

If you've got one by all means use it, I certainly would. But an electric firelighter rather seems the antithesis of burning a natural product and certainly not particularly money-saving to buy one. I'd be upset to get one as a present though, as a match (maybe 2) and kindling is all I need on my new stove. For the price I'd rather have a case of wine! All my wood has been free so far, apart from some cheap briquettes kept for the bad weather: low in moisture and easy to store inside.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've got one by all means use it, I certainly would. But an electric firelighter rather seems the antithesis of burning a natural product and certainly not particularly money-saving to buy one. I'd be upset to get one as a present though, as a match (maybe 2) and kindling is all I need on my new stove. For the price I'd rather have a case of wine! All my wood has been free so far, apart from some cheap briquettes kept for the bad weather: low in moisture and easy to store inside.

Yes, but how long will your case of wine last?

I'm with Cardew on this. Particularly if you burn smokeless fuel as well (which can be a devil to light) an electric firelighter is invaluable.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of people have to buy kindling and. certainly where I live, it's not cheap.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    I second the Grenadier.

The trick is to build the whole fire so that it can all catch light. Empty grate so the oxygen can get in I use left over bits of cardboard rolled up, then kindling, then logs all Jenga style. Open all the vents to allow oxygen to the fire and a draw through.

Use the Grenadier, no problem as soon as the smoke comes shut the door. As soon as it is hot enough close top vent after about 15 minutes close bottom vent.

Job done. Put some coal in to last all night.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

Whilst money saving is important, surely most of us place a value on time saving and convenience as well.

For instance why use expensive matches when rubbing two sticks together, as we learnt in the Scouts, will produce a flame;). Why use a washing machine when a tin bath and a scrubbing board as my grandma used will suffice.

The beauty of an electric firelight is you can have the open fire or multi-fuel stove already laid with logs/coal/whatever and come in and just point the firelighter and switch on. No dirty hands, no paper/kindling and time saved.

In the summer I use it on the Bar-B- Q. both as a lighter and bellows. One half of the charcoal can be bright red, the other dull.
  • Alycidon
    Options
    suestew wrote: »
    We did light a firelighter to warm up the chimney a couple of times before starting fire as recommended by shop. We then put in a firelighter and built up the kindling jenga style, we were told to leave door open to get kindling alight and then to add a log or two and that once we get used to this the process should only take around 10 mins from lighting the fireligher. We then should close door once log has caught.

Whist waiting for fire to catch and with door open the top control was open and the bottom was closed as my husband thought they said this in the shop. We then closed the door and left the controls as they were, was this incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any help

There should be no need to warm the flue before lighting the fire.

Use 8/10 sheets of newspapers scrunched up on a bed of remaining ash, kindling on top, couple of good hand fulls.

Open up ALL air supplies and light stove, leave door ajar by an inch or so.

Once kindling is going add small pieces of wood and close door. Once they are going nicely add full size logs. Once these are burning close the air supply under the logs ( the primary air supply). Then manage the fire using the secondary air supply only. This is for wood burning.

If burning smokeless coal and smokeless fuel these fuels require more air than wood and burn from the bottom up. Keep the grate clear of ash, keep all air supplies open and the door closed once fire is running well. Manage fire on primary air supply.

A
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would like to know if anyone has ever conducted a controlled experiment to find out by how much a few sheets of burning paper warm a chimney.

My suggestion would: 1/ No one and 2/ It doesn't. It's implausible that the meagre amount of heat produced would make the slightest difference to such a large mass.
  • Greenfires
    Options
    It's more a case of just establishing a draught than actually warming the chimney. Can be useful at the start of the season - some chimneys develop what we call a "cold plug" which can be reluctant to shift just using the usual method of lighting a fire. The short burst of more intense heat from a few sheets of paper being burned quickly usually manages to move the plug and then you can proceed as usual.
  • Ivor_Pecheque
    Options
    It's all about the draft. Getting the cast iron and surroundings hot takes patience and time. You will find the ideal configuration of slightly opening your room doors, your fire doors and vents. Listen to the sound your fire's making as well. Once it's going, the hardest challenge is shifting the dog :-)

DSCN9011_zps69b8e767.jpg
    Illegitimi non carborundum:)
  • Ivor_Pecheque
    Options
    and of course, gather as much wood as you can, don't worry too much about storage, the key is to split it as early as possible... DSC_0048_zps7fa747d9.jpg
  • Ivor_Pecheque
    Options
    Red wine is essential...

DSC_0048_zps96797785.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income