Having problems on lighting our new multi fuel stove

Options
Hi all, we had a new stove fitted recently and today is our first time using it so I know we need to practice but just wanted to check we are doing it correctly as we didn't really get it going for any amount of time.

We have good seasoned wood given to us from the shop as a starter pack so it's dry, we have good firelighters too.

We did light a firelighter to warm up the chimney a couple of times before starting fire as recommended by shop. We then put in a firelighter and built up the kindling jenga style, we were told to leave door open to get kindling alight and then to add a log or two and that once we get used to this the process should only take around 10 mins from lighting the fireligher. We then should close door once log has caught.

Whist waiting for fire to catch and with door open the top control was open and the bottom was closed as my husband thought they said this in the shop. We then closed the door and left the controls as they were, was this incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Greenfires
    Options
    No problem giving the fire maximum air during startup. Once it's properly established close up the door, and close the bottom air completely if you're burning wood, and control the fire with the secondary (top) air alone. Your multifuel stove will have a grate fitted in it - if you're sticking with wood then allow the ash to build up so that it covers the grate if you can. Designs can vary between stoves so this isn't always possible - but burning wood on a bed of ash rather than on a clean grate is what you're aiming for.

If you go for smokeless fuel at any stage (I wouldn't personally) then pretty much the opposite applies - ie clean grate, and the majority of the air supplied from below the fire rather than from above. You'll also need to remove a load of clinker and ash from the stove on a pretty much daily basis - with wood it'll be just an inch or two every couple of weeks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never used a fire lighter in 5 years with our 4Kw multifuel stove. We just burn 3 or 4 sheets of loosely scrunched up paper with the door closed, and both vents open, to warm the flue. Add a couple of twisted sheets of newspaper before the fire goes out and toss on some broken up pallet or chopped up logs. Again leave both vents open until the wood takes. Add a couple of smaller logs and wait for them to catch. Close bottom vent and control fire temperature with the top air vent. A stove pipe thermometer is a must. Avoid newspaper with coloured ink.
  • suestew
    suestew Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    great thanks both. do you put the logs in when kindling is roaring or not? I do think we need smaller logs as ours are quite big.
    also when you have lit a good fire once it starts dying down if you chuck a log on do you leave door open again for it to catch?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2014 at 8:45PM
    Options
    When the kindling is roaring, put on a larger log and, if necessary, open the lower vent until the new wood catches fire. Woodstoves are designed to be used with the door closed - not open. If you buy a stove thermometer then you can see when the stove is working in the most efficient range.

When the fire dies down, add new logs and open the top vent and, if necessary, the bottom vent. No need whatsoever to leave the door open.

Did your installer not leave you with a manual as required by HETAS?
  • suestew
    suestew Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks, we did get a manual but lighting fire is not in that much detail tbh
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Buy an(expensive) Grenadier electric firelighter and problems over.

http://www.grenadier.co.uk/electric_firelighter.php

Just point the nozzle at any fuel - no kindling required - and in minutes you have a roaring fire.
  • Greenfires
    Options
    Personally I reckon it's probably a better idea to get acquainted with lighting a fire in the traditional manner first - if the only thing you know how to use is one of those contraptions and the power goes out - you're going to be in for a pretty steep learning curve! Or cold.... ;-)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Greenfires wrote: »
    Personally I reckon it's probably a better idea to get acquainted with lighting a fire in the traditional manner first - if the only thing you know how to use is one of those contraptions and the power goes out - you're going to be in for a pretty steep learning curve! Or cold.... ;-)

How often do we get power cuts? - and how long do they last?

If that is your concern get a box of firelighters - not really a steep learning curve to place a firelighter in stove and apply a match!

I inherited an electric firelighter that must be 50+ years old and it really is great. I have an open fire which is laid with logs. when I want it lit just point the lighter at the logs and in minutes a roaring fire!
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cheeky side of me says it depends on how many more power stations they have to take offline in the near future :D
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2014 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    How often do we get power cuts? - and how long do they last?

If that is your concern get a box of firelighters - not really a steep learning curve to place a firelighter in stove and apply a match!

I inherited an electric firelighter that must be 50+ years old and it really is great. I have an open fire which is laid with logs. when I want it lit just point the lighter at the logs and in minutes a roaring fire!

We get power cuts all the bloody time! That aside I prefer lighting my fire with screwed up paper and just one match it's quite an art form :)

Plus for £125 I could get another few cubic metres of logs!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure