Dull yellow headlights

Options
Hi all ive just bought a new car and have noticed that the headlights are very poor.they don't seem very bright on full beam and a horrible yellow glow to the headlights. I might of been spoilt because my last car had hid xenon headlight really bright and really a crisp white light. Does anyone no if there are any replacement bulbs that are the same as the hid but can be fitted? Also can you use led lamps in headlights?

Comments

• ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2014 at 1:29PM
    Options
    You can buy DIY xenon conversion kits from eBay, Aliexpress, DX etc. for £20-£30, most are nasty quality and probably not legal. I've not heard of LED headlight conversions, but upgraded bulbs are available - I like Osram Nightbreakers which provide a bright, white light and are currently half price at eurocarparts.
  • sparky260500
    Options
    Hi don't think those xenon conversion kits are legal. ive tried some replacement bulbs but they just don't cut the mustard. I have seen led headlight bulbs but again not sure if there legal.
  • ilikewatch
    Options
    Hi don't think those xenon conversion kits are legal. ive tried some replacement bulbs but they just don't cut the mustard. I have seen led headlight bulbs but again not sure if there legal.

If xenons were a factory option for your car you could always try to source a complete set from eBay or a breakers?
  • sparky260500
    Options
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    If xenons were a factory option for your car you could always try to source a complete set from eBay or a breakers?

I wish it was a easy as that there is a lot more to it then just swapping headlights, extra wiring.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what about osram night breakers
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Sure it's not the lenses?
    Modern lenses are plastic and can go hazy.
    Best lights I ever had were the normal type with Philips 100w off road rally bulbs. If it's full beam then that dazzles irrespective of wattage.
  • sparky260500
    sparky260500 Posts: 243 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2014 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Sure it's not the lenses?
    Modern lenses are plastic and can go hazy.
    Best lights I ever had were the normal type with Philips 100w off road rally bulbs. If it's full beam then that dazzles irrespective of wattage.

but not legal for road use
    and yes sure its not the lenses
  • sparky260500
    Options
    force_ten wrote: »
    what about osram night breakers

i did look them up and there say 20% whiter so will still be very yellow
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    but not legal for road use

I'm not typing this from prison.
    Who is it hurting when main beam?
  • ilikewatch
    Options
    I wish it was a easy as that there is a lot more to it then just swapping headlights, extra wiring.

Ah, on my car it's simply a case of swapping the headlight units and splicing in the ballasts as long as headlight wash/wipe is already installed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure