IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use other people's leftover parking time?

Options

Comments

• h15t0r1an
    h15t0r1an Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2014 at 8:58PM
    Options
    I go out of my way to pass tickets on whenever they can help someone else. In car parks, unless I am very close to the incoming person, I just stick my ticket to the machine very discreetly. That way I'm not transferring it but someone may "find" it in case of cameras.

For rail passes or season tickets that have validity left I'm not going to use I will hang around for a decent time looking for somebody who can use it and try to discreetly (in case of cameras) hand it to them. I always tell them where the ticket was purchased, when and by what means, just in case.

If we weren't all so totally ripped off in every aspect of broken Britain now then we wouldn't feel so obliged to help each other get a little bit back at every opportunity. For me, charging in hospital car parks in the last straw. It indicates Britain has lost all moral compass. Same as the iniquitous turning over of motorway car parks to rapacious operators when they are supposed to be refuges that promote safe driving.

Good news though is that recently I saw something saying that hospitals have been told to revise parking charges in some way. Hopefully so that patients and those supporting them stop getting ripped off and suffering unnecessary stress at a time when they are already suffering.

I await further news and hope MSE will publish any progress on getting parking fees eliminated for hospital patients and those visiting, dropping or collecting them. Time to put the "heart" back in Britan.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Does it deprive car parks of revenue?I say no it doesn't because you've payed for the space for the time indicated.If the times were more user friendly then none of this would be happening,some carparks charge by the half hour which is a much better way for all of us.I use to go to the local hospital and the minimum time was two hours,always back in the car in well under an hour.So i thought instead of wasting the hour left over i waited and gave the ticket away.Most accepted it,very few ever refused, saying they were going to be longer than the hour left.I recently went back and they've now introduced a new system where you put in 3 letters of your car reg.All this means is that they now get double the amount without actually increasing the price.
  • EssexA
    Options
    Doesn't anyone on here remember parking meters? Any time that you had paid for was simply passed on to the next person that used the space. Likewise you received any leftover time the last person had paid for. What on earth is the problem here?
  • SuperAllyB
    Options
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    The terms and conditions to this reply to your post, is that as soon as you read it, you agree to pay me £100. This is non-transferable.

Please pm me for payment details.

Does this only apply to luvsnail that you quoted, or do i have to pay as well? Bit strapped for cash this month so hope not!
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SuperAllyB wrote: »
    Does this only apply to luvsnail that you quoted, or do i have to pay as well? Bit strapped for cash this month so hope not!

PM me and we come up with a payment plan. :beer:
  • KatyI
    KatyI Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Please accept anything like this that's free for God sake!

The council earn hundreds of thousands from town car parks, take something from them for a change.....don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Just do it, as long as you don't have to put your registration number on it.
  • maiasopohie
    Options
    Abso-freaking-lutely!!! If I want to be in a car park less than an hour, I ALWAYS ask exiting cars for a ticket! Why not? The space has been paid for! Conversely, if I've paid & have an hour left, I Always try to donate it on.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is this thread 'mirrored/duplicated' from another separate forum on MSE?

Because there are so many 'experienced' MSE posters pitching in on here who I've never previously seen contributing on this 'Parking Tickets, Fines and Parking' Forum ever before?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • v52gc
    Options
    Lots of people here are claiming that you buy "time" in these car parks.

When you purchase the ticket you are buying time per vehicle. The tickets are non transferable. If you use somebody else's ticket it is stealing from the company running the car park.

Saying that I would probably take the ticket though!

Sharing or transferring a public transport ticket is even worse I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure