IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use other people's leftover parking time?

Options

Comments

• martyn_rh
    Options
    I work for a water company. If we are renewing a water main that requires a trench accross a parking place where a council charges money, we have to pay the council for loss of revenue on that parking space for 100% usage for the whole day, regardless of the actual historical usage.
    These cost have to be added into everyones water charges - so you are paying for parking charges even if you don't have a car - but pay a water bill.
  • ditsyblonde
    Options
    This is a no brainer - no reg on then pass the ticket on! These councils are ripping us off to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds. I say stand up for yourself and fight back wherever and whenever you can!!
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,090 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Is this thread 'mirrored/duplicated' from another separate forum on MSE?

Because there are so many 'experienced' MSE posters pitching in on here who I've never previously seen contributing on this 'Parking Tickets, Fines and Parking' Forum ever before?

I wonder how many will be back to offer advice when someone gets an invoice from a PPC when it all goes wrong?
  • gunnyandbob
    Options
    Of course you hand on the ticket. YOU HAVE PAID FOR THAT SPACE. ITS YOURS AND YOU CAN GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.
    Have you ever thought they offer you to pay for one hour or three. Not two on many car parks. When you are going to be a little over the hour, you have been fleeced.My attitude has hardened over the years, I'm sick of being screwed by so many organisations. Wakey wakey.
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Of course it's OK although maybe not legal, it's been paid for,it's their time, you are being offered a present, accept it gracefully and when you can, pass the favour on.:j
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    KatyI wrote: »
    Please accept anything like this that's free for God sake!

The council earn hundreds of thousands from town car parks, take something from them for a change.....don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!

I agree on principle, but you could argue that if the Council don't get their money from car parking tickets they will have to put the rates up, we all want our olds looked after.
  • BlaEm
    BlaEm Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Is this thread 'mirrored/duplicated' from another separate forum on MSE?

Because there are so many 'experienced' MSE posters pitching in on here who I've never previously seen contributing on this 'Parking Tickets, Fines and Parking' Forum ever before?

The Money Moral Dilemmas get sent around in the weekly emails, so people who wouldn't normally be hovering on this board will have seen it :)
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What moral high ground??

While councils and other car park owners will often make it part of their Ts & Cs that your parking ticket is not transferable, a parking space has been paid for for x amount of time . If the payee uses it for less than the time they have paid for, and then another person pays to use it for the remainder of that time, the car park owner is getting paid twice - and that is what I think is immoral! I cannot see it as immoral for someone else to use a parking space for the time that has already been paid for on it - especially when I have to pay for a much longer period than I need because there are no lower time (and therefore cheaper) options available.

Bottom of the barrel time again MSE???
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, of course pass it on.... although legally, if it says non-transferable, you shouldn't. Who's going to check? Don't do it blatantly in front of the warden, you could even be on 'candid' camera. Actually, I'd never thought of sticking it on the machine, nice one that man but you don't get the 'lit up face of appreciation' though!
  • myjamfactory
    Options
    Certainly use it, it`s a form of local taxation anyway.

The businesses who may benefit from the customers who may use the carpark pay a lot in business rates.

Local councils prime purpose is to keep themselves in jobs then serve the public..in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure