IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use other people's leftover parking time?

Options

Comments

• Montpellior
    Options
    Of course it's ok to pass on the parking ticket you have paid for it so it should be up to you what you do with it I pass them and all day bus tickets on if there is time on them and I don't need them 😘😘
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's probably against the rules but I would take the ticket!!!
  • Bikertyke
    Options
    Well, I can't see there's a huge moral dilemma...
    BUT
    Have none of you looked at a parking ticket? Irrespective of whether you have to put your reg number on it, they have a unique serial number. So if you transfer them, it's easy for the parking attendant - or rather, their magic little hand held device - to see it's been done. Which, depending on the rules, means you could both be fined.
    Does this ever happen? I dunno.
    Do I want to find out the hard way? No.
    And don't say "they'll never check". By that logic, there no point in displaying a ticket in the first place.
  • minicooper272
    Options
    Technically it's wrong, and you can receive a fine for it. Having said that, I have accepted and will pass on pre-paid tickets if I can get away with it, it just seems like the courteous thing to do.
  • Judi11
    Judi11 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do not have to give your registration then it is a real bonus to be given a ticket which gives you some free parking. As many others have said, we try to find someone to give our ticket to which should also brighten their day :o)
  • kathrynha wrote: »
    I frequently hand over my ticket if there is lots of time left on it. I've paid for that space for that time

Exactly!! :T
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Bikertyke wrote: »
    Well, I can't see there's a huge moral dilemma...
    BUT
    Have none of you looked at a parking ticket? Irrespective of whether you have to put your reg number on it, they have a unique serial number. So if you transfer them, it's easy for the parking attendant - or rather, their magic little hand held device - to see it's been done. Which, depending on the rules, means you could both be fined.
    Does this ever happen? I dunno.
    Do I want to find out the hard way? No.
    And don't say "they'll never check". By that logic, there no point in displaying a ticket in the first place.

how on earth does the unique serial number tell the parking attendant who originally bought the ticket? it will only say at what time and at which machine ( if there are several ) and doesn't identify the purchaser or their vehicle!

I pass on tickets and accept others. just a nice thing to do.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Number plate machines take longer to use and are a mean way for councils to raise extra money. With pricing scales to encourage short stays, they should be glad if two cars make use of the same ticket. Councils should enable/encourage these little kindnesses that make people's day (both the givers and receivers).
  • Radiosmurf
    Options
    Our local car park requests you to input your reg number. I always put in 000. I have never had a problem - what's the offence? Amnesia? The ticket can then be transferred to another motorist to use up any spare time. So long as you have paid they don't care.

In any case has anyone ever been prosecuted for transferring a parking ticket?

I was once a passenger in my daughter's car and paid for her parking. The instructions were to input YOUR reg number. So I did although my car was at home! I was aching to get a fine and see what the authority's answer would be to my defence that I had only followed their instructions to the letter.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2014 at 9:53PM
    Options
    Radiosmurf wrote: »
    Our local car park requests you to input your reg number. I always put in 000. I have never had a problem - what's the offence? Amnesia? The ticket can then be transferred to another motorist to use up any spare time. So long as you have paid they don't care.
    Do not ever do that in a private car park. You'll get a fake PCN from Excel or Parking Eye or whoever infests that site and then you'd have to come back here to learn how to appeal and win (rather than get sued by the filthy scammers). PPCs don't play the game the same as Councils. Never just put in FCK OFF or whatever, even if it is tempting!

And no, they can't be ignored any more, in case a newbie reading this thinks the old 2012 'ignore' advice still stands now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure