MSE News: Nectar points cut in half at Sainsbury's and points for bag reuse scrapped

Options
From 11 April 2015, Nectar card holders will earn only one point for every £1 spent at Sainsbury's...
Read the full story:

Nectar points cut in half at Sainsbury's and points for bag reuse scrapped

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Its a freebie at the end of the day so im not overly bothered but I have been spending on fuel and food at sainsburys for 2 years and still do not have enough for 1 weeks worth of shopping.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • RichByName
    Options
    I don't think Sainsbury's have anything to worry about. Tesco have gradually devalued the Clubcard over the last five or six years and, in the process, used almost identical spin to that which Sainsbury's are using now.

And just look how well they are doing! :rotfl:
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am not willing to give up my personal data for 0.5% but was for 1%. And if I am not getting the 1% then I may well not bother to shop at Sainsburys at all; clubcard points are already worth 2-4% compare that to 0.5% and it is a no brainer.

Sains have also dropped Tesco from their price match promise rather than adding Morrisons.

I think they will find that penny pinching like this against their loyal customers (by definiton nectar users are loyal) will cost them more in lost sales than they make back by saving 0.5% - don't forget those big out of town superstores represent a large sunk cost, they can't just scale back variable costs to maintian profits if utilisation falls.

If like me you don't like it it is probably worth letting them know on their social media pages.
    I think....
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I think they will find that penny pinching like this against their loyal customers (by definiton nectar users are loyal)

Not really, I have loyalty cards for most stores I use, it does not make me loyal to any store ( I tend to grocery shop in Asda who don't do a card), just means where ever I shop I get something back eventually.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I am not willing to give up my personal data for 0.5% but was for 1%. And if I am not getting the 1% then I may well not bother to shop at Sainsburys at all
    Are you serious!
    1) You have already given it up.
    2) Are you really choosing where you shop based on loyalty points? Convenience I can understand, saving money I can understand but points?!?!

I used to work for credit tesco credit cards and people used to complain about sod all in order to get some points. They would rather have £2.50 worth of points over £10 compensation...
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    gjchester wrote: »
    Not really, I have loyalty cards for most stores I use, it does not make me loyal to any store ( I tend to grocery shop in Asda who don't do a card), just means where ever I shop I get something back eventually.

This.

The value of so called loyalty points are minimal, and they never influence where I shop. What influences me is the price I pay!

So 1 point, 2 points or even 0 points, if it's cheaper at Sainsburys I'll still buy it there. If it's not then I won't even if they were offering 10 points!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It says this will include a month-long fuel event where shoppers will earn 10 points per litre of fuel, and "better" Double Up events, where shoppers can exchange Nectar points for two, three, four or more times the standard value to spend at restaurants or on days out at "key times" across the year, for example, Christmas.

I remember the days when Green Shield Stamps used to do specials such as double, triple and quadruple stamps :o

And iirc, eventually you needed like 100 books to earn yourself a teaspoon :(
  • clauski
    clauski Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The value of loyalty points at Tesco and Boots can drive a decision to shop there as they are good. Nectar was always poor in comparison and now will be even worse. Compare Tesco's half price delivery saver deal, better points/rewards and the unwillingness of Sainsbury's to match Tesco on price any more and I think we could slowly see Tesco come back to strength while not entirely sure what Sainsbury's are trying to achieve.
    2022 Wins! : £22 Tesco voucher
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything is a bonus, I don't shop based on rewards so anything that accrues is a nice.

Shame about the reusing bag ones. I think it could be about laws to start charging for plastic bags as it will mean the majority of people will be re-using anyway and the points aren't the incentive so fair dues.
  • Angellore
    Options
    We have used Sainsbury's for years and have used our Nectar points for free hotel nights through Expedia, which saves us money on our holidays. We have always preferred Sainsbury's over Tesco or Asda as I think their meat and fruit/veg is better quality, however, lately Sainsbury's online have made a lot of mistakes and have a lot of out of stock items, plus they keep changing pack sizes. Time to move over to Ocado come April, there is nothing to keep me loyal to Sainsbury's now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure