IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

When may you ask for a vat receipt.

Options
The_Deep
The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
edited 13 January 2015 at 3:02PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
This is interesting

If you're a VAT-registered business, you should normally issue a VAT invoice when you sell goods or provide services to another VAT-registered business. ... However you only need to issue a v.a.t. invoice when selling to another VAT-registered business. This means you don't need to issue VAT invoices to customers who aren't VAT registered. In practice, this may mean issuing a VAT invoice to customers who ask for one, as you won't usually know if they are VAT registered or not. However, you don't have to check if a customer is VAT-registered before issuing a VAT invoice.

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/understand-vat-invoices-and-receipts

I am not registered for v.a.t. and have no expertise in this matter, but I take this to mean that anyone, whether registered or not, may ask for a v.a.t. an invoice, and a PPC would have few grounds on which to refuse one.

As they are required to issue v.a.t. receipts when asked, should we therefore be also asking all PPCs to provide v.a.t. invoices where v.a.t. is chargeable? I think so.
You never know how far you can go until you go too far.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AIUI:

VAT applies to contractual charges (IPC model),
    VAT does not apply to liquidated damages/GPEOL (BPA model)
    VAT does not apply to penalties (arguably any PPC model!!)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But a private company cannot issue 'penalties' to consumers - so they'd have great difficulty arguably VAT is not chargeable.

Not sure what the point of getting one is though? What difference does it make?
  • EnigmaPart1
    Options
    Asking for a vat invoice is a load of hogwash as far as parking companies are concerned.
    It makes not one jot of difference to any appeal
  • BenefitMaster
    Options
    Asking for a vat invoice is a load of hogwash as far as parking companies are concerned.
    It makes not one jot of difference to any appeal

But it can be used in court to demonstrate that the so called "core contractual term" isn't.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The point is that it potentially puts the PPC in a difficult position if they are claiming that their extortion is in fact a contractual charge.

If they are not accounting for VAT on their charges then their choices are all difficult: issue a fraudulent VAT invoice, refuse to issue a VAT invoice, or admit that it wasn't a contractual charge after all.

It's been advised often, but since I've never seen anyone report back here having tried it its impossible to say how most of PPC's might react.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • EnigmaPart1
    EnigmaPart1 Posts: 235 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2014 at 1:35PM
    Options
    The trouble is advising tom !!!!!! and harry to "Ask for a VAT invoice" doesn't actually make a blind bit of difference at the appeal stage of proceedings and this is where things are dealt with most of time.

It such an irrelevance with dealing with these companies and people who say "get a vat invoice" perhaps should go and pick up one of these tickets and road test it.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're not all PoPLA-obsessed Phil.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I did wonder who Enigma was. Now it makes sense. :)
  • EnigmaPart1
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    The point is that it potentially puts the PPC in a difficult position if they are claiming that their extortion is in fact a contractual charge.

If they are not accounting for VAT on their charges then their choices are all difficult: issue a fraudulent VAT invoice, refuse to issue a VAT invoice, or admit that it wasn't a contractual charge after all.

It's been advised often, but since I've never seen anyone report back here having tried it its impossible to say how most of PPC's might react.

As ive said previously the is no point things be advised if no one is prepared to grab the bull by horns and actually go and trial it out. There is only any point in doing stuff if the is a chance it could work and without trying it how will people know?

Its all very to discuss and hypothesise over what may and may not work, but it doesn't do much good if these things are not put in to action and then proven to either work or not work
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2014 at 2:47PM
    Options
    We're not all PoPLA-obsessed Phil

Baster has hit the nail on the head (again). Some people are just unable to see beyond their noses.

My post has nothing to do with PoPLA, the best way to stop PPCs ripping off the sheeple is to make life difficult for them, and no-one can make life more difficult for businesses than The Revenue.

The very smell of a complaint to HMRC may well convince a PPC that they would be wise to cancel the charge. Surely that is better than winning a PoPLA appeal.

People ... perhaps should go and pick up one of these tickets and road test it.

So, how do you road test the air bags in your car, drive into a tree?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport