NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Can we still apply for a meter after £100 payment?

in Water bills
1 reply 866 views
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for a water meter to save on the water bill in our newly moved-into rented flat. Thames Water sent us a letter when we moved into the flat a couple of months ago to say that water from move-in date until March would cost £296.63. My housemate contacted them and gave them £100 up-front and set up a monthly direct debit to cover the bill from then on. I was wondering if we can still apply for a meter given we have effectively paid the bill up front for about 3 months? Would this amount remain as credit on our account if the bill dropped as the result of having a meter?

I was also wondering if landlords typically allow tenants to fit water meters, and if I have any legal right to insist if they refuse?

Thank you for any help.

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Landlords cannot stop you getting a meter provided the rental agreement is 6 months or more.

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/mediacentre/leaflets/prs_lft_101117meters.pdf

I am a tenant. Can I still apply for a meter?

If you live in rented accommodation, you still have the right to apply for a meter. We recommend that you ask your landlord’s permission before applying for a meter.

If you have a fixed-term tenancy agreement of less than six months, you must ask the landlord’s permission.
    If your fixed-term tenancy agreement is longer than six months, your landlord cannot stop you from having a meter. However, you may need their consent to alter or improve their property.

That said some landlords put a clause in a rental agreement saying a meter must not be fitted.

You will get a credit for any excess money you have paid, against your metered bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals