🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Our Journey from Debtdom to Freedom

Options

Comments

• hazeldreams
    Options
    Aww thanks brizzle I think I may well apply, just want to suss out a few more specifics first!

Reasonable day yesterday with 6/7 daily goals achieved but no NSD as had to catch bus to get in to work early doors. On track for 7/7 today though as walked to train station and saved bus fare so that's good.

:)
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    7/7 daily goals achieved yesterday, partly thanks to Doris! (had to walk from city centre halfway home as there were no trains, gridlocked traffic and buses so full you couldn't get on them!) bad news is we've lost two fence panels to the storm - I'm guessing we will have trouble replacing them quickly and will be overcharged as suppliers/fitters cash in :(

Need to buy birthday cards today so it won't be an NSD (do you know, buying cards thwarts so many of my NSDs I think I need to start buying them in bulk!)

Lovely weekend coming up for the 2nd and 3rd birthdays in our family for this month - afternoon tea in Stratford upon Avon, family party and I'm doing everyone a lovely Sunday lunch. It's a JO one from the save with Jamie book - mothership brisket beef - one of our faves and won't break the bank - will do a vic sponge for Pud to double as a birthday cake - couldn't get more British than that lunch could we! Quite ironic when we're actually a large Irish family :rotfl:

I've decided to apply for this role at work but with two busy weekends coming up and being mental busy at work I don't know how I'll find the time to prep for it! And I need to be over prepared for this step up :( I'm also worrying that with this to prep for, very little being cleared in march due to remortgage fee and now fence panel replacements that my eye will be taken off the ball - I've learned I can't juggle too many balls at once and excel at all of them - not sure how to tackle this dilemma :o

Happy Friday all :T
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Busy spendy weekend but enjoyed lots of lovely family time and just one birthday to go tomorrow and spends return to normal. Will revisit monthly goals tomorrow and see how we did and reset for March.

Horrible grey drizzly day here but did manage to talk to station and avoid a downpour so no spends so far and today's exercise complete. Aiming for 7/7 daily goals, let's see how I do.

• hazeldreams
    hazeldreams Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't quite expect not to be on posting for 4 days but that's life for you! Rocky few days as DD1 didn't get her first choice at high school so everything has literally been on hold while we figure out what to do next...all will work out fine I'm sure.

On the money saving front whilst I've kept tracking everything on YNAB, the NSDs have gone out of the window and I've not yet updated my progress for Feb or updated sig for march! Will make the time to do that this weekend definitely.

TGIF!!
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh lordy, sounds like it's been a tricky few days...here's hoping you have a better weekend. So glad you're going for the step up role!

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Despite the rocky few days we've only spent £12 we didn't budget for (necessary coffee shop visit with DD1 to discuss options) and have achieved 2 NSDs. We could've done more but I'm pleased with that given the distractions.

Looking over last month goals, we hit our goal of £2000 debt cleared but fell short of NSDS (but still achieved 12/16) and my weight loss! I only achieved a 1lb loss instead of a 2lb loss but at least I achieved that during a month full of birthdays! Got to hit more this month particularly on the weight front!

• hazeldreams
    Options
    Hi all!

We're still here and still plodding after our hiatus! It's been a tough month on many a front so I'm very much looking forward to 31/3, not least to see the back of march but also because it's payday and bonus time. Not being able to pay off £2k this month has really peeved me even though it has saved us £800 in mortgage interest and meant I've not been anywhere near as careful as I should. But April is not far away so really looking forward to getting back on track and clearing a sizeable chunk off the debt with said bonus.

On track for 5/7 daily goals today - aiming for 6/7 tomorrow and so on.... one day, one teaspoon at a time. Off to read some diaries and debt free roll of honour to get my mojo back!

It's good to be back :)
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good to have you back (its only been a fortnight so you're let off just this once ;))...how did the job application go?

I know what you mean re the targets..they end up really mattering. Perhaps a little too much. I relented today and moved money to the ISA and pension rather than the CC....I realise I need to build up funds for the future as well as bust the CCs and the mortgage.. but it still hurts when I see the current totals on the cards.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Hi brizzle! Ha! Yes only been a fortnight, so not the end of the world! ::rotfl: Had the interview last week, it's a two stager so may not get through to next round, we will have to see. The prep/stress of that, poorly parents and high school fiasco/appeal is what's derailed us this month - everything always comes at once doesn't it?!

Anyway, taking one day at a time. I've had a healthy fruit salad for breakfast, got homemade lentil and bacon soup for lunch and veggie shepherds pie for tea. My tummy has been really playing up due to not being as healthy as I should've been over last 2 weeks, it's been so painful I've started keeping a list of foods that trigger my symptoms. The stress hasn't helped either I'm sure! I'm sure I should be a vegetarian I'm beginning to loathe most meats and any fatty ones in particular really set off my symptoms.

Dodged the walk to station rather naughtily though - lugging my backpack is hurting my neck at the mo and I don't want to add to the ailments! I sound like an old woman :rotfl:

Going to try and get 30mins walking in on my lunch break instead - my diary is pretty quiet so I should actually get one today!

Wont be an NSD as kids have had to have tuck money for an event at school so aiming for 6/7 daily goals achieved today.

Loving the sunshine today, even if it is a little chilly. :)

Really excited to think that in just 10 days we will have cleared the halfway mark on the debt mountain, we'll be at the summit and it will be downhill all the way then! So,so, so excited!
  • hazeldreams
    edited 24 March 2017 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Ugh! What a day! I'm soaked through (and so are the kids!) from the walk to school. No way I'm walking to station in this weather so I head for the bus stop. Bus turned up on time for once, I get on, put my hands in my pockets...I've forgotten to pick up my bus fare :mad:. I get off the bus and manage to hitch a ride to station from my wonderful sister. I'm soaked through, have wet, cold feet and my hair, well let's not go there :rotfl:

Going for 6/7 goals today...although I'm already feeling the need to succumb to an expensive coffee so today might be a struggle :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport