Our Journey from Debtdom to Freedom

Options

Comments

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love the Dalai Lama quote, Hazeldreams, and your goals, the way you have laid them out and written as if complete. Have a great Year and I hope that when you look back and review this time next year, all you have to do is copy and paste - :)

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    I love the Dalai Lama quote, Hazeldreams, and your goals, the way you have laid them out and written as if complete. Have a great Year and I hope that when you look back and review this time next year, all you have to do is copy and paste - :)

NOA
    x

Aww that's lovely NOA, thanks so much for the support x
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Ugh! What a nightmare first day back to work!!

Left late, (DD1 is a nightmare in the morning I've no idea how she'll cope getting to high school on time when she starts this September!), missed all 3 buses and had to walk 2.5mile in the pouring rain with my heavy laptop bag and legs that kill from the last two days of squats (think I may have over done it :rotfl:) Get to the train station totally saturated and miss the train! :mad:

I want to be optimistic and think things can only get better but having been off work for two weeks I can only currently focus with dread at the thought of the gazillon emails that must be waiting eagerly for me to action when I get in :(

Nonetheless the one positive to come out of it all is the fact I can tick of no.6 on the daily goal list!

1. I had a NSD today/I stuck to my budget today
    2. I limited my portions and chose healthy options today
    3. I didn't drink alcohol today
    4. I paused before reacting to kids
    5. OH and I talked for 20 mins today
    6. [STRIKE]I exercised for 30 minutes today[/STRIKE]
    7. I completed 30 mins work related reading today

New way of eating and exercising is already sucking the life out of me and making me very miserable - will see it through this week but will have to back to counting calories on MyFitnessPal- I always feel good and lose lots that way!

Will pop by later and update my goals!
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Not a bad day all round in the end, especially after the shocking start!

1. I had a NSD today/I stuck to my budget today out the window with a £4 spend on a lost school tie
    2. [STRIKE]I limited my portions and chose healthy options today[/STRIKE]
    3. [STRIKE]I didn't drink alcohol today[/STRIKE]
    4. [STRIKE]I paused before reacting to kids[/STRIKE]
    5. OH and I talked for 20 mins today- time left tonight to hit this one!
    6. [STRIKE]I exercised for 30 minutes today [/STRIKE]
    7. I completed 30 mins work related reading today probably a bit optimistic for a first day back after hols!
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Blimey the time ticks away fast when you're counting down, can't quite believe we'll be sub 400 days until our DFD next week :eek:

So OH and I had our little chat last night and so ticked off another of my daily goals, a good day all round.

Have walked to station saved bus fare and therefore already on way to a NSD and 30mins excercise done. Aiming to tick off all 7 goals today.

In other news as we're not going abroad this year we'll be trying out our very first £9.50 holiday. I'm collecting tokens and have some ideas of the better locations to visit from the sister in law. Hoping to find something for Feb and August but i guess August will be tricky as it's peak season! Must do some research on this tonight/tomorrow

:)
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Fab day yesterday! Hit all 7 daily goals with ease!

Have abandoned the eating plan OH and I started last Friday! Was totally awful, too much meat, too expensive and not enough carbs!! Lost 3.4lbs since then though which is fantastic so there has been a plus side! Today I'm back to logging everything on MyFitnessPal- helped me lose a stone in 2015 and I didn't feel so lethargic with it and actually enjoyed it! Plus it allows me to eat mainly veggie which just all round suits me better :)

Am aiming for another clean sweep on the daily goal front today - motivation levels are really high at the mo! Long may it last! :T

Also signed up to Mrs Frugalwoods uber frugal Jan courtesy of a tip from the lovely brizzledfw (thanks again brizzle!), I'm sure we can't live quite as frugally as the Frugalwoods but if I can shave anymore off the outgoings that we can throw at the debt mountain that would be awesome!
    :)
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    Morning!

Another great day yesterday! All 7 daily habits achieved and fingers crossed today will make it three in a row!

I've been reflecting overnight on how much calmer I feel for being so in control and organised- that little bit of extra effort that it takes everyday to plan ahead/be mindful of your small daily goals and how they piece together to complete the bigger picture, is very much worth it for the reward of feeling more together and satisfied that you're on track to achieve your ultimate goals. It's a revelation! So simple and actually so easy. The only downside I guess is that I cant stop chastising myself for being so blinkered and downright stupid for not adopting this way of thinking/approach sooner and perhaps the debt mess we find ourself in would either a) not have occurred in the first place or b) been rectified many moons ago! :mad: I'm trying to focus on moving forward rather than looking back but I am so angry with myself still!

Anyhows, main focus today is to hit 3 in a row on daily goal front (I think this could well be our first ever 3 in a row NSD too!)

Wish us luck!
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    We did it again, another clean sweep on daily habits and our third NSD in a row (never been done before!) :j

Because I'm focussing on the outcomes it really does make a difference! Usually I focus on the inputs i.e. taking lunch to work, not buying a coffee or resisting the urge to buy a cheeky choc bar from vending machine, charging phone at work etc....but all of the inputs make you focus on what you can't have which makes me depressed and in turn makes me want them even more to cheer myself up! Thinking about the NSD output and another daily goal achieved has made these inputs second nature rather than an effort!

In other news I've lost 3lbs this week so on track for my first monthly goal too!

Today won't be an NSD as I'm going to buy a dear friend a bunch of flowers as she's been having a rough time recently and needs cheering up and I'm going to treat myself to a coffee (and maybe a chocolate muffin too, given today is my treat day!) I figure it's medicinal given the weather and is therefore totally acceptable despite not bring healthy or particularly frugal :rotfl:

Another busy weekend planned but shouldn't be any spends so hoping to extend our 3 in a row achievement from this week to at least 4 in a row next week

Happy Friday folks!
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wonderful to read your posts (although not perhaps the one where you missed all your connections and got soaked before work :eek:) and loving the way you're hitting your goals and focussing on the outcomes too.. you can 'hear' the change in positivity as you read it...ace.

Glad you're enjoying Mrs. FW too..she's pretty hardcore, but lovely writing and I like the daily emails.

x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • hazeldreams
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Wonderful to read your posts (although not perhaps the one where you missed all your connections and got soaked before work :eek:) and loving the way you're hitting your goals and focussing on the outcomes too.. you can 'hear' the change in positivity as you read it...ace.

Glad you're enjoying Mrs. FW too..she's pretty hardcore, but lovely writing and I like the daily emails.

x

Thanks as ever for the support brizzle! I am really focussed at the moment, just hoping we can maintain this intensity all the way through to Feb next year!

Yes, I'm enjoying Mrs F, and it's good to have those daily bits of reading for homework! Can't help but have frugal envy though! They have it so together at such a young age with a young baby too! We're at least 15-20 years behind them in the financial independence stakes and we're almost ten years older! :eek: better late than never though I suppose! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure