We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    ive been helping to search for a lost dog..
    shes 14 and arthritic, been spotted in the last 2 days but was missing for 5 days before that with not one sighting...which makes me think someone picked her up, saw all the publicity and so dumped her back in the area.
    That's what happened when out cat, Daisy, was catnapped in the city. I printed off loads of posters with a picture, while DD stapled them to all the telegraph poles, stuck them to lamp posts etc etc.....
    In two or three hours, she was home, covered in fleas! :D:eek:
    In a difficult place here, as one of our two remaining chickens is ill and probably won't make it.:( That will just leave Vera the Vorwerk. She's pretty independent, often ignoring t'other one in the day time, so we may open up the pen and let her run around loose while we're working and see how she goes. She's OK with the cats.

Fast running out of plants to sell now and the veg has gone quite well too. The diversion of the main road through here for 10 weeks has boosted everything. :)

Hope the chicken (cooked) does the trick.....!:A
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    well i wafted and waved the chicken around like a loon but no sign !
    BUT half hour later she was spotted and caught by the landowner so not sure if my chook waving had anything to do with it :rotfl:

the forest fires in Europe are dreadfull ! feel so sorry for the people. wildlife and livestock ..
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    World's Clumsiest Idiot reporting in. Yesterday, while pulling large logs out of a wasp-infested heap (they were after the sap and resin), I walked backwards in an understandable hurry, gripping over the logs I had just pulled. Fell heavily, and broke three ribs - OUCH ! Crawled back to house to be fixed by vet, who was actually sympathetic for a change.

Didn't take any animals to the Wayland Show today, partly cos it still hurts to breathe, and partly because it was too hot. It was a very, very quiet show, many folk staying away. Enjoyable though.

I shall give myself a quiet time for the next while!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    World's Clumsiest Idiot reporting in. Yesterday, while pulling large logs out of a wasp-infested heap (they were after the sap and resin), I walked backwards in an understandable hurry, gripping over the logs I had just pulled. Fell heavily, and broke three ribs - OUCH ! Crawled back to house to be fixed by vet, who was actually sympathetic for a change.

Didn't take any animals to the Wayland Show today, partly cos it still hurts to breathe, and partly because it was too hot. It was a very, very quiet show, many folk staying away. Enjoyable though.

I shall give myself a quiet time for the next while!

Personally, I'd have found it more understandable to leave the logs to the stripey b*ggers until they're done with them and moved onto getting ratarzed on rotten fruit instead.

(Said from the position of being the [strike]utter coward]/strike] sensible person who has decided to let the local ones get on with chewing upon the shed door rather than risk upsetting them (and hoping my similar non molestation policy with the 8 legged occupants of the garden leads to a slight readjustment in population).

We're off on our summer stomp about the West Country this week, next and some of the one after, I think. Starting with the Fireworks, then heading back part of the way for a festival, then here, then straight back down again to Ottery, then back to the right side of the moor.

Must get on with finding meself a decent coat/waterproof, as I don't have one and I've got a funny feeling that there's some change coming by Thursday morning at the latest, I'd guess Wednesday for the SW.

in any case, Dave - is there much in the way of foraging stuff around ? I'm thinking of repeating my incredibly successful first attempt at jam from last year, as the big pot I made is down to the last scrapings now.

Last year, people :cool: had stripped every hedgerow, bush and tree of West Devon bare by the 15th, including every single Sloe (yes, I know that's wayyyy too early to take them, so I'm hoping their gins were as vile as the Gordon's version and they never do that again). I'm already freezing plenty of blackberries from the garden here, but that's probably the storage heater effect of the area, and I'm going to miss the main crop by being away, unless I can get my lovely friend to get them without her equally lovely husband being the ex chef he is and having them all :D, so I wouldn't mind hefting a couple of pounds of something jam-able back with us.

Mind you, if it gets hot again, I might try out the weir pool in Himself's village this time and stay near there rather than anything resembling walking...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:07AM
    Options
    Bedlam here this morning....:eek: but cultivated blackberries are coming thick & fast now and the apple crop looks good, as are damsons.

In the hedgerows, the blackberries are very poor due to the dryness. Can't say about sloes.

Weather due to break a bit at the weekend. Might be a thunderstorm, but probably not here. Nothing drastic next week. Might actually get something done!

Sorry about the dog and your ribs Dafty. Chicken here is hanging-on, but I'm hoping visitors go before I have to do the deed! :(:(
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Just stuck another pound of blackberries onto a tray in the freezer. Or about a tenner's worth, as they're technically organic (and quite possibly vegan) because they're essentially left to get on with themselves with lots of spiders and wasps usually helping themselves to any critters thinking of molesting the plants.

Daft, really. I understand it's because they're so fragile and turn mouldy so easily, but they have to be the easiest fruit to grow in the world - the only difficult thing is preventing them turning the back garden and house into Rapunzel's Castle - but they're also probably the most expensive, even dearer than cherries and exotics at the moment. And they're sweeter than any ever bought in a shop..

Anyhow, the time spent in just a little bit of sunshine was enough to make me and the Idiot Cat woozy, so we're both back inside splodged out on the settee now I've put them on the tray and he's finished supervising the operation.

Might not need much to add to the jam list at this rate.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ.. Suspect you'd have dealt with the log heap as fast as me, and not fall over.

Dog reckons all sticks in the yard are The Best Thing Ever, and belong to him, whatever the Striped Guardians might think otherwise.

His swollen nose required the lot moved, stat, ribs and wasp stings no excuse. Did the rest this morning, wincing!

Other than that, I leave the bees, wasps, even hornets to buzz around in peace.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    JJ.. Suspect you'd have dealt with the log heap as fast as me, and not fall over.

Dog reckons all sticks in the yard are The Best Thing Ever, and belong to him, whatever the Striped Guardians might think otherwise.

His swollen nose required the lot moved, stat, ribs and wasp stings no excuse. Did the rest this morning, wincing!

Other than that, I leave the bees, wasps, even hornets to buzz around in peace.

you're right. One sting gets a 'well, you shouldn't have tried playing ping pong with the buzzy thing, should you? More than that, I'd even rescue the Idiot Cat.

One of the Highlights of my first evening out after having Offspring #2 (with the other parents at Nursery, so that's how long it took to have some time for myself) led to my being dropped off at about 2am. Mainly because I was a little wobbly after three glasses of wine in 6 hours.

Got up the five flights of stairs fine. Got in the door first time. Didn't turn on the light so the then OH and Offspring were not disturbed.

The (dark Brindle) mutt was very pleased to see me. Only problem was that I couldn't see him.
    I promptly tripped over and cracked ribs against the corner of the kitchen as I tried to step over him.

I decided to stay there and have a kip. When I woke up, Mutt was happily curled up next to me.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,747 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well that's nearly all my babies flown the nest and I'm in bits.

DD2 is well on her way to NZ despite getting to Dubai and only having 5 mins to leg it to the next flight. She lands 9.00 our time, 10.00 their time.

DD1 back to her job and not due home until October. Just DS2 home.

Give me a couple of days and I'll be back to normal whatever that is!

Saw my mum yesterday and she was a bit brighter.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just lost a second post - hugs to Lucielle all the crew flying the nest & mum all muddly. It's a tough call. You've done a great job raising such a lovely family.

Alfie - glad all the animals are doing well in the heat.

We are cooler but windier.

Trying to get help for neighbour from social services - I have a sore throat. What a waste of two weeks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback