We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I hardly dare say it, but I was a little chilly this morning. We went down to abour 12c at dawn, and with all the windows open....

Tops was only 22c yesterday.

Picked up a bug when shopping yesterday. Didn't use my hand gel, which was in the car, so it's all my own fault. :(

I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly .... :o
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I hardly dare say it, but I was a little chilly this morning. We went down to abour 12c at dawn, and with all the windows open....

Tops was only 22c yesterday.

Picked up a bug when shopping yesterday. Didn't use my hand gel, which was in the car, so it's all my own fault. :(

I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly man.
    I am a silly .... :o

Don't worry, Dave - we're due to come down soon, so I'm sure there's only a couple of weeks of this weather left.

I spent the night mostly glowering at the temperature display. It didn't go below 28/82.

That's the thing with towns - the storage heater effect is a right so and so.

I got the hosepipe out again last night - the windowboxes were still a little heavier than they had been, but the largest still needed a good bucket's worth again.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    well, for fear of repeating myself ! we are now crispyville .....

it is hitting the mid 30's daily.

all the dogs I was looking after have gone home and its like a morgue here now ! my 3 are sofa slobs but never realised how slobby they are after the 3 live wires have gone now !

dolly has had her stitches out with no complications and the wound has healed brilliantly BUT the biopsy has shown a nasty... hopefully they got it all and it was a low % of 3 samples..
    she HAS to have the other side done now as a precaution so back to saving the pennies...again ! she cant have it done for 4+ months , to enable the side done to mend 100%..
    dolly has sailed through it as if nothings been done, even the vet said he wished all patients were like her .

im a bit cross that after filling the trough for the horses in the field to my left here , for nearly 5 weeks [to save them lugging containers] that they have upped and taken them out without so much as a thankyou ... my concern in this weather was a lack of water for them [I filled it daily] , I just hope they don't bring them back as im too soft NOT to do it !

well ive got the day off today and im not sure what im going to do....or not do..

weve been invited to use the pool next door which is great but there are workmen fencing at the mo and don't want to be responsible for them injuring themselves at the sight of me doing my orca impression... son swam at 5pm yesterday so may join him later..

going to London next week for the day ! 1st class train, meal expenses etc... all to deliver a set of keys to a surveyor for a property there .... another adventure hehehehe
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    oh ! and im HAMSTER sitting for a month too ! :eek: it arrives Saturday ....

it has come to my attention there is a demand for rabbit / guinea pig / hamster etc "sitting" for people.....
    im going to find out more :p

I have a brick built shed that has power etc and im wondering if I could convert it ????
    cant do it as a business BUT can do it for a donation to a charity ;)

also I am slowly converting my son to not get a rottie pup but a rescue st bernard ... :D
    yes I know its a tad different but they are so gorgeous and of course I will get to look after it when hes away / working :j
    we have the space .......

im still sat doing s*d all ! its great :D
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully your feeling better Dave,
    I have itchy pruning fingers, I keep looking at the massive hydrangea and fighting the urge to shear it back.
    The back perimeter wall looking quite good ( or will do when its filled out) and must meet the neighbours approval as they have been out and cut back self-sown buddleia between our properties , the other side will be planted with rosa rugosa in the autumn this is one area I want to make as low maintenance as possible going forward.
    I've earned some credit with the neighbours as I weeded the path and carpark, im going to need it when the heavy landscaping at the front starts, this is not an area that seen much house movement since they were built, everyones been lovely but there is that wariness that comes with new neighbours, and we raised a few eyebrows when we painted the front door yellow when everyone else's is shade of blue, but they seem happy enough just for the fact we started the outside maintenance as soon as we moved in, Its all so very polite here I felt almost shameful the first time we put out the recycling with the amount of beer/wine bottles we had accumulated, we are used to things a touch more redneck where wine bottles are never recycled but refilled :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Hopefully your feeling better Dave,
    Yes, thanks, it was only a 24hr thing; less if I'm honest, but I'm not if the sympathy flows here! :rotfl:

I've just been suffering from relative-itis, and there's more on the way....time of year, innit? ;)

Some patchy rain here this morning, which may help us to catch Lila, as both cats have their annual MoT today. She's semi-wild at this time of year; brought me 3 presents yesterday, but 2 survived, including an indignant wren. It's been harrassing her for sleeping into the orchard for days.....

Must admit to some wariness about the new neighbour here, but now she's into a routine, without Mr Bandana and the shouty dog, things are fine. There's mad barking at about 06.30 as the dogs race around the field, first thing, but that's happy barking and we're usually awake by then.

Now we just have two other properties to watch for signs of new owner lunacy, assuming they ever sell that is! One has a border with our copse, which isn't much of a worry, but the house is of a unique and somewhat bonkers design, so it will only appeal to people of a certain disposition, methinks.:cool:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    WE HAVE HAD SOME RAIN :j:j
    im not talking niagra falls BUT it proves it can still happen :D

typically , I am selling an old camper trailer and had "put it up" to show someone "how it works" on Wednesday and left it up as couldn't be butted to take it down..... its not waterproof ...ooops ! :o
    so will have to rethink its suitability as a tortoise style holiday tourer :eek:
    the trailer itself is worth more to someone and the kitchen unit [cooker and sink] would probably be of more use to my friend in his horse yard to make a cuppa !
    SO I think it is going to be stripped asap ... if only to get this off my drive..
    I will add I went out this morning to "remove" the water collected on the now sagging roof of said tent and much to the amusement of the guy painting my outside doors , tipped the water in the wrong direction and completely covered myself in a COLD shower..... :D

the swans have settled in great... just need MORE water in the lake/pond ...

I hope your neighbours , now and future are "normal" dave ... but whats your excuse ;):D

have a good weekend peeps
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »

I hope your neighbours , now and future are "normal" dave ... but whats your excuse ;):D
    We don't care about normal.....:p I mean, we're not normal ourselves ....but quiet is good.:A

Errr......though there is 'too quiet,' like next door! :o
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    We've had a little overnight, and 5 mins of big fat "tears of a thousand gardeners" that petered into nothing as the saying goes "its not right its not fair its not proper"
    Everything in pots has pretty much gone over now, the wind off the Atlantic blows the water right out of the pots by the time you've finished watering the last of them the first pot is lifting light.
    I am thoroughly cantankerous and add insult to injury my hair is now so dry from working outside im looking like worzel gummidge.
    Also looking like our idea of picking up some land has hit a rut, we are only looking for up to a 1 acre site and there is nothing about in our area that doesn't have outline planning so stupid money, have put the call out to see if a co-op can be made on a larger 7 acre plot over two paddocks but the pasture price has risen massively in this area so its unlikely, annoying we don't even need good ground just space as the polys can be run on a raised bed system and the lads need hardstanding for their stuff, I was not best pleased to find half a motorcycle in my conservatory this morning, last week it was four wheels for a Rover mini the lad a menace anything with a motor thats preferably pre 1970.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    We finally had a short deluge which took the air temperature down to 27/81. It's just dropped another degree and I'm actually feeling vaguely comfortable at home for the first time in what seems like forever, albeit it's still in front of a fan.

Didn't stop me shoving 5l into the windowbox, though - and it took it without the slightest complaint.

Went and helped a friend with her allotment last night - in the half hour before dark, she went around watering whilst I hoiked Groundsel and bindweed seedlings out of her onions. Bit surprised how impressed she was with my progress; it's not hard when you can tell the difference between those and onions - and the temperature was just about right for it (and me).

Got well fed for my trouble and over nearly two bottles of Rose, we talked nonsense until almost two in the morning - just as well it's a five minute bus ride to home from hers (and we have two 24 hour bus services running along the bottom of our respective roads),

Now the rain has finished :( I think I'll shove a couple of herb plants into the gaps in the windowbox where things didn't quite make it. We've eaten what we planned from them, so it's better than watching them die from being unhappy in their plastic pots.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport