We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope the weather improves for those of you who are feeling the cold.

The wind is chilling but no snow just icy rain.

Seem to be getting little done outside as it's not really hanging about in weather.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Hope the weather improves for those of you who are feeling the cold.

The wind is chilling but no snow just icy rain.

Seem to be getting little done outside as it's not really hanging about in weather.
    Things have improved a lot here. Although we didn't quite hit 7c today, the wind was not very strong and we had some sunshine.

It didn't matter too much to us, as we were burning all the waste from the hedging and it was too hot for coats next to the fire. It's all gone! :D

Hopefully, the better weather will get up to you soon. :)
  • choille
    Options
    Weather is really up and down but dryish today which is good as it's needing to dry up.

Had to do a survey of some ground which was nice to get out and about without the hampering of waterproofs.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    2ewfrjr.jpg

meet my bog monster giraffe !!
  • choille
    Options
    Looks like a hybrid - cross between a giraffe/Llama/Ostrich?

Beautiful animal.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    The new stretch of fishing I was hoping rent earlier in the week is sorted.:j It joins onto another bit owned by a friend, so I'll have about 1/3 mile to myself.......well, apart from the otters! :o

Rushing to get all the hedging and tree work done now. Yesterday, I pruned a very large old apple tree that was getting close to the power lines and today it was the turn of the hedge between us and the thatcher's barn.

Finally, the largest multi-stemmed willow we have is dead/dying, so I began dropping that before part of it drops on us. So far so good and there's already lots of logs. I'm going to leave one trunk about 10' tall for the woodpeckers, which are having quite an active time on it. :)
  • choille
    Options
    Very wet day and slushy sleet. Went for a walk round the local community wood where there were loads of toads mating - puppy face was startled by them and kept leaping backwards. He then started doing the same with fir cones on the path - silly billy. Met a sausage dog that hates him and it tried to bite him continuously - like a mop on speed it was. Nasty little blighter.

Not done much else apart from relist stuff on the Bay tonight and feel jiggered - think it's the return to very cold weather.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    - think it's the return to very cold weather.
    I was shocked to see white bits on the longer forecast last night; not here, but not that far away from here either. :eek:

I remember in the year we were married, it snowed about a week afterwards, which would put it around the end of April.

I'm loving having the conservatory this year, with all the baby toms and other sensitive seedlings and some chilly nights still. Even the old one was good, because of the heat leaking into it from the house through an old window and patio doors, but now they've gone, I wondered what would happen. The poly drops below zero very easily, but the conservatory seems to stabilise at about 7c most nights. :)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    well hello peeps
    a glorious day here today ...
    pottered round with the horses, did an airport run and then mowed the lawn :D
    my greenhouse arrives this week and ive decided to put it on a bit of the L shaped drive. it tucks beside the house, protected by a hedge and a wall, no overhanging trees and should get the full sun aprox 11-2pm but good light round it. it already has a cement standing there so maybe a garage base many years ago ? be room for an outside stand on it too for "aclimatising" ...

all the daffs survived the snow and only a few got flattened .

I too need to have a bonfire but here I have no bonfire site :o I am considering burning it in the middle of the bottom lawn ...then planting something there :D

I have told owner of the 2 holiday homes im quitting.. he didn't seemed surprised...said "i didn't think your heart was in it for some time" !! it wasn't in his when I told him my friend [we did it together] was quitting too :o :rotfl:
    he then said could I find someone ! I said id ask about but so should he as our last clean is 20th april !
    no "thanks for all you've done" or kiss my butttttt... :mad:
    SO I am retiring from doing anything else............ bar my normal job and the airport runs ,car boot selling oh and eeeebaying , so apart from that I will be a lady of leisure ;)

hope all you's have had a good weekend
  • Davesnave
    edited 26 March 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    well hello peeps
    a glorious day here today ...

Same here.:D We finished off the dead/dying willow, leaving two part trunks for the woodpeckers, then carried on where the bad weather made us leave-off in the garden. Like you, I also had a quick run round with the mower, as the grass is definitely growing again.

Izzy has gone missing. She was there when I closed the poly around 18.30, but after that she just vanished and didn't come in for dinner. :( I've checked and re-checked all the barns etc and the roadsides, but there's no clues. Neither of our cats stays out at night, and Izzy isn't confident or a wanderer, so it's very worrying.

EDIT: After a largely sleepless night and both of us trailing around the entire property and Horse Woman's place at different times of silly-o'clock, Izzy emerged from my den/boiler room at 8am. Yes, we'd been in there last night, calling to her, but she'd lain low, probably thinking that she'd be in trouble! :wall:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback