Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 495

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 825.5K views

Replies

• lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a lovely quiet day. We made a lampshade only Alfie would believe this afternoon, and now might make another one. :)

I'm sorry so many are having such dreadful stress right now. :(. What we have found this year is that having more time is not increasing productivity really. DH is however better rested, which was important.

I'm fed up with my pots by the front door. I quite fancy a couple of life size statues, but of course, anything in my price range is naff. i've considered nudes, but a reconstituted stone david next to a venus is just too ridiculous for words. Maybe a couple of busts I could put on stands to be a decent height? Or Griffins? I'm just fed up of the pots, have more fun with pots in sunnier positions, and its not as if I don't have garden right there.
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all...

lir ... I saw reconstituted stone lions sat up [3ft ?]at a centre yesterday £145 each which sounds :eek: but ive seen worse prices...or are lions too normal ;) :rotfl:

mum and I have cleaned out summer house ready to paint, also cleared wooden shed [goose house] and I was all ready to fix wire to owl flight and the ****ing staple nails were all weirdly crooked.. :mad: every time I hammered they just bent so will get new lot tomorrow..

we visited dad this morning , did shopping then home.
    ive fetched and stacked logs in porch...

now im kernackered ! and just got txt to join friend at a mini music festival in a pub/pub garden in local village which albeit very "foresty" is always a good time but I cannot muster the strength and a deep hot barf beckons ;)

hope everyone gets their joints sorted...
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rummer - Like I say - you are good in that you know you don't have the time - I just run about getting myself dizzy & don't get much done.

How about chimney pots LIR? Or wrought iron scrap sculptures?

I could get you some fab tree roots?

Sounds a good evening could be had Alfie - at least you have the choice - our local is like an airport lounge - piped music & 80s chintz that's all stained:eek:
    A landlord & lady that look down their noses if you are local - ish.
  • edited 5 September 2015 at 7:55PM
    I_have_spokenI_have_spoken
    5.1K posts
    edited 5 September 2015 at 7:55PM
    The cactus terrarium from old aquarium!

WP_20150905_20_11_08_Pro_zps0qrwnb19.jpg

Lot of guesswork, there's a bottom layer of clay pebbles, then spagnum moss then activated charcoal and the planting mix is John Innes seedling/No.3 with a load of perlite and bit of slow release fertilizer.

I think overall I've been keeping the cactus too dry so hopefully this will more give stability than individual pots
    9.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice IHS - I knew someone who had a lovely collection & some were quite old. They hardly watered them & just let them be....sort of tough love.

Do you have any window sill space left?

You like your plants eh?
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rummer, I know exactly where you're coming from.

We managed to hold the garden together until about the end of July, but then the work on the house and other stuff got in the way and we began to lose it. The one great thing about perennials is that they come up and do their thing regardless, but because it was dry, nothing lasted. We had quite a weed invasion as well.:o

Luckily, turning the largest lawn into a hay meadow worked for most of the time, but there was no disguising the poor showing on the vegetable side of things. This continues, with not a single squash produced yet, and still nothing but green sweet peppers. My chillies are so tame, I'm consuming them whole! :rotfl:

Of course, some of this is the weather, but the rest is neglect. Not awful abandonment, but just not enough feed and TLC.

So, don't beat yourself up if you have to pull in your gardening horns a bit. Far better to do a little well, than cover a lot of ground in struggle mode. :A
    Patron to The Warning
    "No country has ever improved the health of its citizens by making them poorer." John Lee - Professor of Pathology. UK.
    9.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been trying to do some listing on the bay. I am gob smacked at how cheap some folks are selling their stuff for. 99p get's you a lot these days.
    Good for bargains, but hardly gonna buy much Winter feed.

Just been listening to Syrian poets on R4 - How poignant & eloquent & relevant.
    Off to bed I think. OH is sleeping in the house, but I'm restless & will keep hairy cat company in the van.

It's quite cold tonight.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    choille wrote: »
    It's quite cold tonight.
    Yes, very chilly start to a wall-to-wall sunshine day....allegedly. :)

I'm rendering-over a doorway inside my den today, which is on an old outside wall, so I just have to do a cement finish. Did the scratch coat yesterday, so hopefully it will stick. I'm really rubbish at plastering etc.

Not as rubbish as the plumber's assistant, though. I notice he put in the flue for the boiler by literally bashing a rough hole from the outside instead of drilling. He's pushed off a large area of render behind the boiler which is just sort of hanging there and pretty tricky to access for repair. :mad:

Never mind, he dislodged quite a few blocks last time he did some pipework, so our builder's after him and there's a good chance they'll meet this week! Builder is old school and doesn't suffer fools gladly. :rotfl:
    Patron to The Warning
    "No country has ever improved the health of its citizens by making them poorer." John Lee - Professor of Pathology. UK.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Looks as though it's going to be a nice day here, but you can feel the nip in the air at night..

Couldn't sleep much last night, as I haven't worked for anyone else in quite a few years..so I will either love it or hate it, its only for a few weeks.

Tried moving the piglets and mammy pig into the trailer so we could put them out into one if the runs...nope we would get some on, and then they would run off, while we were trying to get the other half on.. So its round two today lol..

Been offered another greenhouse this one is for free its a 20x10..so bloody tempted..

Davesnave hope OH is OK...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful day! Just in from moving a buddleia. Will spend rest of day moving stuff too. Things that went in early in bed creation and now need shifting because are not thriving, or things are doing very well and out growing spaces or so on. :).

Also plan to move at least one of the roses from the pear run this year, planted for quick impact, which it gave, but now, ready to cut it out, move it some where it can impact for ever, and put something less wow in growth in its stead......might move two in fact. :).

Ok, quick drink, back out there!