10.6K replies 827K views
1105910601061106210631065»

Replies

• RASRAS Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted

Cherries and other stone fruit need to be pruned in summer, to avoid silverleaf, which kills them in about a year.

There is a way of checking whether the sap has risen enough for it to be safe, and I'll try and post up pics late spring so you can see. Chances are you'll be a bit behind us anyway.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    940 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we will be behind. OH doesn't mind not seeing the hill as he says you can see it from upstairs and the tree is gorgeous when in flower. I may have said it was a bird cherry but it's a wild cherry. I brought it here as a sucker and it's now huge - twin trunked - which I suppose I should have sawn one out when it was tiddler. I planted a few and it is satisfying to see that they've put out off- spring, or possibly the birds have planted the cherry stones in that unique way of theirs.

Milder air today and a nice walk around the woodland in the next village which is untouched by the wildfire that was raging above it last week. They've been clearing trees away from the path and finished a new track - they have volunteer days and it seems popular for those who want to be outside doing useful stuff in the wood. It's marvellous what has been achieved since they started it.
  • edited 24 February at 5:00PM
    RASRAS Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 February at 5:00PM
    We've gone from minus 6 to about  +14C in a week.

Our bees have gone from huddled up to conserve energy to flying like made. One hive looked a bit weak but clearing the entrance of dead bees has made a big difference. Stood at the back of the apiary to watch them and they were flying like mad from all hives. 

Will have rather more time to look after them this spring!
    940 posts
    ✭✭✭
    The temps are up and down but that fierce wind is still here and it's blowing off snow so quite chilly when in the face of it.
    Went to pick up a wheelbarrow and had a walk in a nice estate that has various routes and oddly met two sets of people who we know and great to get a catch up and enjoy the sunshine - all felt much more normal. Also good to see all the snowdrops clumped everywhere. It's a really old estate with a ruined castle that Mary Queen of Scots stayed in for a while. It was taken over by the army in the 50s and was stripped and is now quite ruinous and dangerous. Terrible that it was lived in until latter on and then went to rack and ruin. 
    In the grounds there's some really interesting buildings and what I think is the remnants of a walled garden. I think one building built near a stream is an ice house - semi-submerged into the ground.
    That's the thing about walking a dog - you can have a real good nosy in places you haven't been before.

Heard from Alfie - who is doing well - enjoying spending more time with her horses. She wants to send her good wishes to everyone and is still attempting to get back on the forum.

• luciellelucielle Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely to hear you're in touch with Alfie, glad she's well.  Your walk sounds lovely
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    940 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Not too bad a day. Ordered some plants from garden express - too many really - splashed the cash. Bought a magnolia and two flamingo willows...I think and also some peonies.
    Got my hospital date for the end of this month.
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ted

Glad you've got a date. 

Was thinking about you when I read this
    Continental-style stopovers planned for campervans in Highlands - BBC News

Knowing how much of a problem there was last year is anyone locally going to offer facilities? Might as well get some income and tidy up the area at the same time?
    940 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers RAS.
    There's a campsite next door but it couldn't open last year - the hotel down the road seems to let them park up but I doubt they have proper waste disposal. I don't know what the council is proposing this year as they seem to remove all the bins from the laybys which is just plain daft.
    Just met someone this morning who lives down the road and they are moving as they can't stand the noise and mess when the holiday season kicks off - it'll be worse this year. They are right at the side of the road.
    I don't have a dry field - the place is a bog but I'll keep my ears open.