Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 827.2K views

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not risking it with another planted hedge at the front, Ted. I'll grow something along the post and rail though, but if something dies it won't show like a gap in a hedge.
    With roses, it's best to find the newer ones than rely on old favourites. The old strains may have been good originally, but later become less vigorous, with virus and disease build-up. David Austin and others have a lot of info and suggestions on their sites.
    "Modern day book burning" Comment on You Tube censoring Brett Weinstein's Podcasts.
    When you take flak, you're over the target.
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    940 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave will take a peek.

Greenbee you sound very organised with the watering system. I don't know about the bucket of topsoil but if It's only a bucket it should be fine sprinkled around??/?//

Odd happening this evening - we have a fox that appeared just before we got the hens. It occasionally strolls past the house and up the track. As if it's just checking out the hen run for an off chance of chicken dinner. I shouted at it the other night and started barking at it to scare it off as I don't want it getting the hens. OH was in the porch this evening when it sauntered past and the cat chased it into the field. He shouted for me to come see but missed the action but shouted for the cat and he came careering down the track all full of bounce but it was a bit scary. I don't know if it is him feeling that he's protecting his territory but I hope he doesn't get attacked by it. 

Very humid and thundery. 
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think a fox will willingly take on a cat, especially a big feller like yours. Our little Daisy would have Mexican stand-offs with urban foxes when we were in the city and wouldn't back-down. They always gave in first! She was fiercely protective, unlike the two wimps we have now! :/
    Have checked the wing feathers on the Rhodies and they all appear to be female. :) Here's hoping.....
    "Modern day book burning" Comment on You Tube censoring Brett Weinstein's Podcasts.
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    940 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    That's so funny with your cat and the foxes. Glad that your Rhodies all appear to be females - they're lovely hens. 

So humid but very dank as if it's to plout down. No internet this morning due to floods elsewhere. I think there's been a terrible derailment at Stonehaven with landslides. 
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much going on here, so here's a game of Spot the Fake. One of these sprayers costs £65 and the other one is a cheaper copy costing under £20. Can you spot the cheapie?

34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted_Head said:
    So humid but very dank as if it's to plout down. No internet this morning due to floods elsewhere. I think there's been a terrible derailment at Stonehaven with landslides. 
    There's a lot of localised storms going on and flash flooding. Barnstaple copped it today with water up to a couple of feet deep, yet someone about 6 miles away had nothing. :*
    I've been tracking lightning strikes on this app, which is new to me. The thunder circles are accurate too, This afternoon I was able to match the noise outdoors to the circle on the map as it spread out to us:
    https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=4;s=201;o=0;b=15.65;ts=0;y=-6.49;x=75.7617;z=2;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;dn=0;tc=0;tr=0;

• luciellelucielle Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has been really busy.  Not much happening here, puppies are nearly 6 weeks old absolutely gorgeous and all sold.  Izzy has been a great mum but is getting a bit fed up of being the milk bar.  Got a mad dash up north in less than a weeks time to sort out a new housekeeper after being dropped in it at the last minute.  Fingers crossed all sorted.
    I think my raspberry bed has had it, hardly any fruit and all the canes look pretty sad.  I know I can't plant reaspberries again any suggestions welcome.  It's a long narrow bed against a wall.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAS is the one to tell you about raspberries, lucille. We still haven't any. Still mulling over the positioning of the soft fruit. Long narrow bed against a wall might be OK for fan trained something, depending on aspect.
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave said:
    Not much going on here, so here's a game of Spot the Fake. One of these sprayers costs £65 and the other one is a cheaper copy costing under £20. Can you spot the cheapie?

Is this a trick question?

I'd guess at it being the one nearest because it looks a bit too wide to fit snugly on the back and the straps look cheaper with a sliding bit, rather than padding. Probably a bit of confirmation bias going on, but I also think (probably for no reason) that the plastic looks like it would be much thinner when you tapped it.

Suppose the important thing is whether they both work, though.

I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave said:

Is this a trick question?

I'd guess at it being the one nearest because it looks a bit too wide to fit snugly on the back and the straps look cheaper with a sliding bit, rather than padding. Probably a bit of confirmation bias going on, but I also think (probably for no reason) that the plastic looks like it would be much thinner when you tapped it.

Suppose the important thing is whether they both work, though.
    Nope, no tricks. The one on the left is the fake. It does have inferior straps and metalwork, spray lance etc, but the moulding is identical and the plastics look fine. The one on the right is a Matabi and I can recommend it, having owned it for 11 years without needing to renew anything, except the original lance, which was metal.
    The fake is working well and keeps pressure, so I'm happy enough. It saves me having to swill the other one out so much to change chemicals. I will keep it just for glyphosate and I won't be filling it beyond 5 litres anyway.
    Both seem to be good buys at present.