Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.5K replies 820.6K views

Replies

• RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's brilliant, how the trees have come away in such a short time. They'll screen the noise as well ad the view.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a few pictures. This one is the first Rhode Island Red to hatch.They always look so unpromising at this point!
    But it isn't long before they start to fluff up a bit....
    Next thing you know, they're whizzing about, feeding & drinking like they've been doing it for ages.
    The weak one has improved and is eating and drinking. Tomorrow is crunch day. These chicks are very different from the legbars; they run towards you if you open the door and put your hand inside. Very inquisitive and testing everything out more quickly than the earlier lot.

Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • edited 7 August at 12:04AM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 August at 12:04AM
    RAS said:
    That's brilliant, how the trees have come away in such a short time. They'll screen the noise as well ad the view.
    Trees do grow faster than many imagine. The oaks in our bottom hedgerow look quite mature; far more so than in photos from  only 10 years ago.
    Sometimes they grow too fast. I'm currently negotiating with the management committee of the properties down below  regarding the removal of two poplars that are looming over the barn and filling its gutters with carp...... :/

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • edited 7 August at 1:14PM
    RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 August at 1:14PM
    Gorgeous pics Dave; really good to see how they develop over the first day. I'm sure there's been a few folk who despaired when they first saw hatchlings. You'll make the right decision re the struggling one, whatever that is.

A friend planted Bijou this year. I warned her that there's little about them that's bijou and her frame is struggling. She's away so I've picked them over this morning before the heat really hits.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    32.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Struggling one is in hen heaven. Had a fair chance, wasn't suffering, but didn't make enough improvement in the time frame to introduce with the others.
    So that's 3 out of 7 eggs this time....and we still don't know how many are males. :|
    Bijou? That's a laugh; about 8' high in the poly! I grew Shiraz this year and got a good crop, but might as well not have bothered as DW has ignored them. :(
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • edited 7 August at 12:12PM
    greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 August at 12:12PM
    I've just cleared the beans, peas, lettuces and carrots from the raised bed after harvesting. The strawberries are still in there and putting out runners like crazy. I should de-runner them, but it might wait until after my holiday (tomorrow :smiley:) so i can pot them up. The soil level has dropped - probably because the bottom layer was originally almost unrotted compost - and the top is quite dry, so I need to give it stir. I've added mud from the stream and have a couple of bags of compost I can add. I've also got a bucket of pellet chicken manure and a small bale of well-rotted stable manure - I'm not sure whether to add those. And I need to think what seeds to bung in later today that might think about doing something while I'm away. I've got the seeper hose connected to the tap on a timer, so it gets water from below every 6 hours, but it may not get much from above for a while!

Almost everything is now on automated watering - I haven't yet set up the greenhouse, or worked out how to add the courgette pots to the raised bed system without either flooding them as they are so much small or drying them out as drippers on micro-hose won't be enough. Gardening is complicated... 

ETA - I've just realised I've got a bucket of topsoil that came from my brother's garden. It's pretty chalky though, and not sterilised, so I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to put it on the vegetable bed... 
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    874 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the chick Dave.
    This is a link to feather sexing in chicks. I have somewhere a book with better explanation on how to sex chicks by tail feathers but can't find it - story of my life at the moment - well past couple of decades.
    https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/chicken-sexing-in-an-eggshell

Sun out today and hopefully not as midgied as it came yesterday. I have a horse fly bite on my arm I got yesterday and it's a whopper. Poor sheep are really bothered this year and can't put anything else on them other than topical repellent and cream around the eyes and face. Worse year ever.
    32.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ted, she's on to it, but it will probably be a while before we know if there are boys. I will want to be sure! :o
    Meanwhile, here they are, looking all innocent.....

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    32.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suddenly, it's all action here. Had 6 trailer loads of dung from Horse Woman's place yesterday. :) That's a farm trailer not one that goes behind a car, so probably enough for the next 10 years! We also scraped off some humps in the field where the septic tank drain field was renewed and didn't quite settle enough. Then I managed to persuade Pete to take away 2 trailer loads of dodgy soil from the front garden where I'd piled it up with a dumper when doing the last lot of drains.
    So, we're all ready to go with re-vamping the front area now, starting with the removal of the old bank where the elms died (OK I helped them! >:) ) That will become post & rail fencing, as will the frontage eventually, because I can't find a good evergreen hedge that will stand the conditions there: - extreme drought in summer and spray from the road puddle when the drains block up in winter. Even the Cotoneaster simmondsii we planted couldn't take that! :'(
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • edited 11 August at 7:01PM
    Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    874 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August at 7:01PM
    Escallonia hedge Dave?
    Any thoughts on climbing plants/roses etc to train up the house front which is South facing. Midgies are out in force now it's gone dull and very heavy. Supposed to get a delivery today of something and they were going to help to lift something upstairs but their van broke down so have a large piece of furniture in the middle of the kitchen.
    4 eggs today so hens are getting there.......eventually.