Replies

• edited 10 June 2020 at 11:46PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 June 2020 at 11:46PM
    Beautiful view Dave.
    Found my old house for sale today, 25 years ago. We outgrew it but I'd go back in a heartbeat now the boy's have left but it's out of my price range now. 
    It's what our close neighbours see, wellies, but they never open their curtains. We even removed the leylandii that blocked this particular view. Nowt so queer as folk!
    Strangely, while looking for info on something yesterday in a Google search, I found the house we rented in 2008 before coming here. It had recently been completely re-vamped and had sold on a guide price of £750k, but it still had the same naff garden. Hopefully, they've fixed the subsidence! ;)
    Lovely heavy rain tonight is finally making a difference and some of it might even reach the streams. :) Our parched hedgerows might not shrivel after all. I've had to re-schedule a visit to Rosemoor with an old friend tomorrow, but its worth it if the wild life benefits. It's more of the damaging winds we're promised I'm most concerned about. :#

• pink_poppypink_poppy Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think our last house is probably already out of our price range now, even though we only moved last year. We're not very lucky when it comes to house purchases/selling... C'est la vie...  :D
    I had a serious case of greenhouse envy this morning. I spotted one in the front garden of a house and it was huge!! Mind you the house itself was more of a mansion  :open_mouth:
    The chicks are gorgeous, Dave  <3  I love the light coloured one and I hope she is definitely a she. What colour eggs will they lay?? I was a bit taken aback the other day when my DH said he wasn't interested in getting any hens when we buy our next home. I've talked about it for years and this is the first time he's said that...

Caledonia dreamin' ...
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the owner of the busy road house has messaged my DH this afternoon to ask if we're interested in buying his house  :o so a decision needs to be made either way...  :s
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I was hoping for a bit more time to see what's going to happen with the housing market...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any garden soundproofing ideas?? At the moment there's a hedge (unknown variety) running parallel to the road, which is a little bit threadbare in parts. I would prefer a wall (dry stone would be great but probably completely out of the question price wise  :o) and I don't know if that would be better at reducing the road noise anyway. Plus, it might not be allowed/might need planning??
    I know about the running water trick, having rustling plants like bamboo etc., but I'm not sure that would make a big enough difference...
    Dave, can I send you an aerial pic of the plot on private message to give you an idea of the problem??
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already PM'd poppy. :)
    There are fences that help reduce road noise, but they aren't cheap and probably need planning, being over 2m. Mind you, laws are different up there.  :confused:

• RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know where the time has gone, I was keeping up with the thread and then the garden and allotment just seemed to soak up all my time and I now have loads to catch up on. However I was hoping you might be able to help me with a gardening problem.
    At the allotment I inherited a massive compost heap that is riddled with every type of weed imaginable. The plot was also so overgrown that I have added to the compost weed problem. Now that most of the plot is cleared I am ready to tackle the compost heap but I don't know what to do with an already weed riddled compost heap. Any ideas gratefully received!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!