10.4K replies 816.9K views

Replies

• edited 1 June at 8:50AM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 8:50AM
    Looks like a type of haybob or tedder to me, but it's not clear how it attaches to whatever spins it.....
    Here, the arrival of the new neighbours in the barn conversions is awaited with with some trepidation, as it's been revealed that they have 4 kids, 4 dogs, two of which are Great Danes, and (the most obvious clue to dysfunctionality) ferrets! :o:#:s The house is of upside-down design and there's little in the way of garden....
    What could go wrong? o:)
    Methinks the couple who had such a difficult job selling, thanks to their tricky neighbours, are going to have the last laugh with this.
    EDIT: Could the mystery object have been used for weed removal in the stream?

Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • edited 1 June at 10:09PM
    greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 10:09PM
    I guess it could be used for weed removal @Davesnave although I’m not sure how! I really need to get my hand scythe fixed as that’s the best thing I’ve found for cutting weed. I could try the long-handled one I suppose (it’s very small) but I worry about my feet!

Work today, so minimal gardening. Deadheaded a few roses, managed 1 bucket of weed, and did the watering. Planted some marsh marigolds that were delivered today. Hopefully they will survive. Need to do better with watering. And start planting up the new raised bed.
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    857 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Turned really cold & wet today - but the ground needed a good soaking. All the snow just about away off he tops and the wild goats have disappeared back up.
    Not much to report - Mr Raffles seems to be quite a happy little chappy. He's really no bother at all. Quite settled in and seems to just blend in.
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenbee said:
    I guess it could be used for weed removal @Davesnave although I’m not sure how! I really need to get my hand scythe fixed as that’s the best thing I’ve found for cutting weed. I could try the long-handled one I suppose (it’s very small) but I worry about my feet!

Work today, so minimal gardening. Deadheaded a few roses, managed 1 bucket of weed, and did the watering. Planted some marsh marigolds that were delivered today. Hopefully they will survive. Need to do better with watering. And start planting up the new raised bed.
    Himself is still disappointed that I've told him he isn't allowed to scythe the weedpatch whilst wearing my black hooded dressing gown.

The weedpatch is full of field buttercups, wild geraniums, green alkanet, a monstrous rambling rose and three separate climbers, so I have white with a pinkish inner, white, pale pink and pale pink turning white. The birds are extracting a fiver out of us a week in foodstuffs (Idiot Cats are largely Too Important to be bothered with such fast moving annoyances) whilst contributing to filling in the bare spots with wheat seedlings. The patio is full of plants, some of which I even know what they are - seven beans planted from the pods found at the back of the cupboard, seven beanstalks, all wrapping round scraggy bamboo sticks from two pots, potatoes, rocket, lettuce and maybe Broccoli/Cabbage/Cauliflower and maybe courgette/melon/cucumber/squash/pumpkin.

The honeysuckle on the sunny side of the house has reached the bedroom window and climbed in to say hello - where it's finally dull and cooler today, the scent is pouring in through the front window as I'm 'working'. The lavender bushes are being a bit slow, the ivies are going mad on the walls (looks very pretty, as long as I keep on taking it off the window itself), the rosemary is huge and after a couple of trips out just as the lamb went in the slow cooker, I haven't had to take any rosemary beetles of it again, the 'spring' onions that were stuffed in a shallow windowbox about three years ago are busy flowering and are about three inches thick in the stalks, the mint is hiding and I seem to have acquired a thick mat of some kind of Dianthus in the main windowbox.

Unfortunately, I've run out of compost and can't bring myself to pay a tenner for the usual peat free supplier to deliver. Anybody got peat free/organic recommendations? It has to be in smallish - 40l -  bags as I have to get it through the house and down the steps into the garden by myself. I know it's not the same as buying for a large garden, but I still need more than one tiny bag from a supermarket front entrance.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hooked on this, two hatched so far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SWRFv8z8pY
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    They are too cute.  I must pluck up courage to use my incubator, bought around 5 years ago, I think it's like yours but I haven't opened the box yet. I'm too worried about hatching boys, would be just my luck. When the children were small we hatched one from a box of farm eggs but it din't survive long 
    A rest from watering this week, everything looking about as it should. I sold all but three of the excess plants at the gate for charity (I don't usually sell from the gate here) Someone drove off with 5, I think I know who. I asked him if he'd seen anyone, of course he hadn't but I think he kind of knows I know. 
    So now to begin the indoor jobs list. 
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • edited 5 June at 2:26PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 June at 2:26PM
    They are too cute.  I must pluck up courage to use my incubator, bought around 5 years ago, I think it's like yours but I haven't opened the box yet. I'm too worried about hatching boys, would be just my luck.
    It's a Brinsea, but they've come along a bit in recent years and this one is all digital, so not a lot to do except top-up occasionally to maintain humidity and watch the built-in countdown.
    Our lad was healthy enough but, as we suspected, not developed correctly in the legs and he walked with splayed feet, giving some balance problems. He'd at least had a chance this way, rather than writing him off in the egg, but I decided to do the deed this morning while he was still very young. :'( 
    So, we're down to 3 females and a non-conformist.
    Pity about a person nicking your plants, but it happens occasionally. Sometimes the gap between taking and paying here can be almost a week, which messes-up the accounting! So far we've taken more than we should have done this year, as some folks don't bother to take change. We'll be donating the profits from the tomatoes to the Village Hall, as they've lost a lot of revenue. At present, the road's closed for repairs, so we are too.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greenhouse is up, and almost done - 3 bits of glass missing and one the wrong size, so need to sort that out tomorrow. I have the staging to build, but should manage that myself. Hopefully I can manage the last bits of glazing myself too. Two days of someone else around has been enough - interruptions when working and complete lack of awareness around distancing and hygiene have been driving me mad. Not helped by the fact that today has been a bad day for fatigue (apparently a common issue post-Covid). 

I need to get the greenhouse up and running and the tomatoes out of my dining room regardless of whether it the greenhouse is finished. I'm just wondering whether I should fill the gaps with plastic (or some of the masses of horticultural glass I have in the garage if I can find bits the right size) until the missing pieces turn up. Frankly I'm so exhausted it's not likely that anything other than the essentials will happen in the next few days...