'Red Spotted Hanky' introducing new fee's on bookings.

The_ICT_Engineer
The_ICT_Engineer Posts: 617 Forumite
edited 1 October 2014 at 5:58PM in Public transport & cycling
Just had the following e-mail from 'Red Spotted Hanky' stating that they are introducing new fee's on bookings.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At redspottedhanky.com we pride ourselves on being totally honest and transparent with our customers. That's why we wanted to let you know about a couple of changes we've had to make to our booking and delivery fees.

Booking fees - Rising costs mean that, reluctantly, we will be introducing a small charge of £1 when you book your tickets.

It's something we've resisted in the past, but in order to continue providing you with an excellent service it's a change that has become unavoidable.

The booking charge will be introduced over the next few days.

Rest assured, we are keeping it simple; just a flat rate of £1 per booking - no matter how many tickets you purchase with each booking or how much you spend.

What's more, unlike thetrainline we don't charge a credit card fee.

Delivery & collection fees - We will always aim to offer a free delivery option for your tickets. Choose an e-ticket or m-ticket and your delivery fee will be free. If neither is available then you can pick your ticket up at the station for free, too. Unfortunately there will now be a small charge of £1 for standard postal delivery (normal rules apply to next day delivery).
[/FONT]

Travellers buying train tickets from RedSpottedHanky should be aware that it now charges a £1 booking fee ...
Read the full story:

Booking train tickets at RedSpottedHanky? It now charges a £1 booking fee

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I had it too. No longer on my favourites for booking tickets.
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    So what's the best option now? East Coast?
  • Perhaps they would like to compensate me for the "Loyalty Points" which I'm not going to spend with them?

The various First (rail) sites (First Great Western, First Scotrail, etc.) offer Nectar points, so will probably now get my business.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I will continue to use Southern, particularly for their money back guarantee.
  • The best option to avoid fees is booking direct with a train operator such as Virgin, Southern, London Midland as they do not charge any booking fees
  • cookie365 wrote: »
    So what's the best option now? East Coast?

East Coast has "East Coast Rewards" - you get a point for each pound spent, though for non-East Coast tickets you need to spend a minimum of £22.
    www.eastcoast.co.uk/rewards

However, as the franchise changes in February of next year, it's unclear what will happen to the East Coast Rewards programme - the new franchisee might well retain it (as I think it's been quite successful), but if they do they could also change it so making it less rewarding.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    pwharley wrote: »
    Perhaps they would like to compensate me for the "Loyalty Points" which I'm not going to spend with them?

The various First (rail) sites (First Great Western, First Scotrail, etc.) offer Nectar points, so will probably now get my business.
    If you have Tesco points you can use up your RSH points in conjunction with the Tesco and still save (£5 of Tesco = £10 to spend at RSH) despite their £1 charge
  • JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "we will be introducing a small charge of £1"

When they say it like that, it almost sounds like its not a lot of money at all.

But it is.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    pwharley wrote: »
    Perhaps they would like to compensate me for the "Loyalty Points" which I'm not going to spend with them?.

Unlikely - but you can donate them to charity rather than letting RSH keep them
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    When I have used my loyalty points I will go elsewhere
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure