Back in control...now to stay there!

I'm starting a new diary as I felt my old was was demotivating me and I didn't enjoy posting in it. I do like being accountable to something though, so find a diary helps me keep focused on my goals and stop me boring DH with my ramblings!

I have only got 7 months to go until my loan is cleared in full and it will be the first time I have had not had a loan since I was 18 (so 15 years!). I have got to the point of almost clearing it several times over the years, but then always managed to find some reason or another for extending it. Dread to think how much interest I have paid over the last 15 years really so I really can't wait until that last payment goes out and it's all done forever.

As the loan is ticking over, and I have paid nearly all the interest on it already, it makes no sense to clear it early. So I am on a mission to get my savings up as much as possible while it's being paid off, and try to make sutre that next year I have got small saving pots for all the things I normally just pay for when they crop up...birthdays, xmas, car tax, mot etc.

Me and DH are also saving up for a mortgage deposit and we hope to be in a position in about 3 years to buy our own home for the first time.

As it's payday today, I have updated YNAB to see where I stand for the month, moved over my share of money into the joint bill account, and moved over various amounts into my savings account. I only have one actual savings account, but track it on YNAB as though it's in separate pots so I know what I have for everything at any given point. It actually feels really good to have some money already building towards Christmas, car tax and an emergency fund, as well as the deposit.

A bit about me. I have a husband, a crazy toddler and I am expecting a new baby in January. I have currently got £600 saved for maternity leave, and this will be £1000 when the leave actually starts after Christmas. I'm lucky that I get both statutory and occupational maternity pay, so there will be no point over the 9 months I am off work where I don't have an income, but it is obviously quite reduced once the occupational pay stops after 4 months.

Aim is to try and make it through the 9 months without touching the saved £1000 much, and whatever is left will be divereted into the mortgage savings fund. That is sitting at £3000, but DH has almost the same amount in his savings account too.

That's it in a (not so small) nutshell.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]D[FONT=&quot]ebt free since May 2015[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Happy new diary. Congrats on nearly getting there and being so determined this time.
    Have you done an SOA now that you are nearly at the end, just to ensure that hasn't been any slippage in how you are spending?
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Well I have not done very well in updating this since I started it! Manic few weeks at work, illness for me and DS, OH away on courses and me finishing off uni work as kind of put a stop to most of my free time. Back on track again now though, and have some more spare time.

I've had another payday since my last post, so another payment to the loan has gone. 6 more and counting, and it's under the £1000 mark for the first time ever :D Can't wait for the day it is finally paid off and closed.

Savings are ticking along nicely too, although I did have to spend £200 on a new laptop as mine blew up 3 weeks ago. It was a few years old though and had seen better days, so I knew it would eventually. I can't not have one as I am 4 years into a 6 year OU degree and we don't have a desktop PC to use.

Chev...I haven't done an SOA as such yet, but I know to the penny what comes in and out of my accounts as I use YNAB religiously. I will do one, but we are waiting to move house in the next couple of months which will affect how much rent etc we pay so will wait until we know for sure and then post it up for you all to pull apart!!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]D[FONT=&quot]ebt free since May 2015[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
  • stiltoncheese
    stiltoncheese Posts: 351
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 12 November 2014 at 8:39PM
    I function better when I have a list to work from, so this is what I am hoping to achieve in the next couple of days.
    [STRIKE]* Claim refund from Mr T for biscuits damaged on food delivery[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* Check online banking and update YNAB[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* Organise meal planner for rest of week[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* 1 load of washing and onto airer[/STRIKE]
    * Put dry washing away
    * NSD x 2 (NSD today, just need to have one tomorrow too)
    * Take photos of stuff to sell on FB selling page
    * Advertise stuff to sell on FB selling page
    * Hoover & polish downstairs
    * Declutter living room and hall
    [STRIKE]* Transfer odd amount in account to emergency fund savings[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* Chase up Open University about my course[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* Work from home so no petrol spends[/STRIKE]

That'll keep my busy!
  • I have achieved a few things off the list, so will make an effort to finish them off tomorrow.

Why does it always feel so long between paydays?

Decided I am going to join the virtual sealed pot challenge in December when the new one starts. Will also be joining the save £1 per day challenge on 1st January. Those savings will be for xmas next year and the VSP ones will probably go to my mortgage fund. Just want to get started now!!
  • Woohoo, off work now until next Thursday so planning on cracking on with a few things this weekend and into next week.

Still haven't taken photos of the baby bits I need to sell, but hubby is going to do that for me this weekend so we can get them advertised. Think I will only make about £30 max, but it's all cash into the pot and stuff I would have just binned otherwise.

The £1 per day challenge is actually starting in December so I have signed up and have my shiny new number...20. Will be making a monthly payment into my savings account instead of £1 coins into a pot every day as I can do it on payday and I don't carry cash very often to have change.

Internet banking all checked today and YNAB updated. Looking forward to next week when I can transfer some more money into my emergency fund. Managed a NSD today, but did use petrol driving into the office this morning. Had to spend yesterday though...£2 into a colleagues collection at work.

Lots of housework to do this weekend as I am in nesting mode and want to get really sorted out. Not sure hubby will be pleased, but it's tough haha. Want things sorted out in case this baby arrives earlier than planned like my son did. Hoping to pack my hospital bag this weekend too, just so it is on standby.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
  • stiltoncheese
    stiltoncheese Posts: 351
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2014 at 9:41AM
    Just lost two long posts :/ So frustrating!

Lots to do today so about to go and get DH out of bed (lazy sod lol) and get started on the paperwork pile on the office desk. It's mostly his stuff anyway, he's the king of clutter!

Just checked bank accounts and have £50.01 to last 12 days until I get paid now. That is just for me though as I have money in separate account for remaining food, bills and petrol. Will be a no spend weekend, so if I can make it a few more days of no spending, I will transfer £25 of it into my xmas pot next week. Anything left then on payday will be transferred over too.

Loving seeing all my pots going up on YNAB and knowing that when the loan finishes in May, I will be debt free for the first time in 15 odd years and have lots of different savings for things. Feels great to be in control of my money for once, instead of living hand to mouth and having a healthy 2 weeks after payday and then a struggle until pay goes in again!
  • Finally got around to listing a load of stuff on the local sales and wants page. Could probably still find a load more stuff to declutter and sell, but it's a start. Will bung whatever I make into the MOT pot as that's due in April and I think we will need new tyres before we book it so even more expense.

Hubby is going to sort out the paperwork for me tomorrow morning, so that can be ticked off the list then too.
  • Well, £20 made so far on the stuff I advertised earlier, plus I joined Topcashback and referred DH to join, so that's gained me £7.50 too. Have also asked my mum to sign up so hopefully she will which will be another £7.50. Not sure when TPB pay out, but it's £7.50 I didn't have earlier today and another £20 from my sales.

Will add it into the MOT fund when the last couple of bits are collected tomorrow. Fingers crossed, I'll sell some more bits in the meantime.
  • 1 more item sold last night after I logged off so another £2.50 into the pot. Only small amounts but it all adds up in the end.

Today is sorting out day. The paperwork pile has to go so DH will have to get busy with it otherwise I am just binning the lot!

Have made a couple of dollars on Bubblews since last night too. It's very slow going, but assume it will pick up a bit once I have made some more connections on there. Even if it takes a month to get $50, it's still money I wouldn't have had otherwise so not too worried on the time it takes at the mo.
  • Well, someone just been to pick up another one of my sold items so £5 more into the pot.

Hubby has finally done the paperwork pile...wahooooooooo! I deep cleaned the kitchen too, which wasn't planned but just kind of happened after I decided to clean the oven. I blame nesting as this baby is due in a few weeks. Need to go and cook dinner now though and hate using the kitchen after it's just been cleaned!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure