Item not received: best way to proceed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    chancesare wrote: »
    You come across as the buyer without a clue.

Hang around with your certificate of posting if that suits, but to those of us who sell professionally,that is no way to deal with an INR.

For the record I actually disagreed with the statement:- "I would be furious if you sent me a copy of the proof of posting."

I have a business id registered since 1999 I sell collectables and I think I have a very good understanding of how ebay works

If someone says to me where Is my item, I do the usual grovelling, promise to refund if it doesn't turn up in due course and send a copy of the COP/receipt to prove to the buyer that his/her item was indeed posted.

My buyers usually want their "unique" item, not a refund

I actually get thanked from time to time by a buyer for my attention to their order...

what do they or I know...... :doh:
  • chancesare_2
    Options
    For the record I actually disagreed with the statement:- "I would be furious if you sent me a copy of the proof of posting."

I have a business id registered since 1999 I sell collectables and I think I have a very good understanding of how ebay works

If someone says to me where Is my item, I do the usual grovelling, promise to refund if it doesn't turn up in due course and send a copy of the COP/receipt to prove to the buyer that his/her item was indeed posted.

My buyers usually want their "unique" item, not a refund

I actually get thanked from time to time by a buyer for my attention to their order...

what do they or I know...... :doh:

Which sounds like the advice being given does it not? Perhaps rereading what you said in calling a regular a buyer from hell, might have been heavy handed. It certainly doesn't sound like you were agreeing with them.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    chancesare wrote: »
    Which sounds like the advice being given does it not? Perhaps rereading what you said in calling a regular a buyer from hell, might have been heavy handed. It certainly doesn't sound like you were agreeing with them.

that's probably because I didn't agree with the tone / content of his statement.

and that's my goodnight on this topic...
  • Vernier
    Options
    What options do you get presented with when you start to ask a question?

Options are:
    I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message
    I didn’t receive my item
    I need to return my item
    I received an item that wasn't as described
    Request to cancel this order

"Other" has gone.

Present situation is that the seller has quoted time of posting (Wednesday) from the PO receipt. I haven't asked if they have proof of posting.

I have visited the local PO and they are going to check with the sorting office, but I cannot see any hope of a positive result there.
  • Vernier
    Vernier Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    A happy ending! I caught the postman on his round this morning. Turns out he had left the parcel in the garage where there is so much clutter I had not seen it.

It was actually postmarked Tuesday 23rd and the seller had posted it 1st class rather than 2nd. It must have arrived last Wednesday when I was taking Dad to a hospital appointment. Expecting 2nd class post I had not anticipated that it could arrive so soon.

Feel rather an idiot, but greatly relieved, and will be leaving some excellent feedback!
  • yogmilan
    Options
    Hi, This is my first post and it's about Ebay delivery. I recently won an auction of Sony Z2 phone from a seller who didn't had a single review (new ebayer). The estimated delivery was 24 Sep 14 and the seller marked the item as despathched on the Ebay. When I asked for the tracking number initially I wasn't given one. I waited until 26 Sep 14 but the phone still didn't arrive. When I contacted the seller on Saturday she give me the tracking number. When I typed in the tracking number in Royal Mail it said that it was delivered and signed by someone with the same surname as mine. HOwever that signature wasn't of anyone from home and when I asked the Royal Mail they actually told me that the tracking number didn't match with the delivery address (My home address). I then asked the seller to send me a copy of that receipt so that that can be tracked down but she didn't send me anything. I then contacted ebay for Ebay for it to be resolved but after a week I got the message from Ebay that because there is a delivery signature they can't refund me any money and said that I have lost out on the case. I now don't know what to do with iy as I don't have the phone and Ebay probably thinks that I am making all this up. I can't believe they are supporting the seller who hasn't got a single reveiw where as since being Ebay member from 2009 and having so many positive review on me they gave the decision to her. Any suggestions for the next action......

YOG
  • FidgitsID
    FidgitsID Posts: 227 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2014 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Clearly not the same one as you.

If an item hasn't arrived within good time, I don't want to see anything other than the item.

Sending a COP is an indicator that the seller doesn't know the system, is likely to tell you to claim and any refund will be via a dispute.

a very important point and in the case of royal mail, using the data they have on what they know about how long delayed parcels may take to arrive they suggest xx days is not unresonable. Iv got plenty of time to raise a ebay/paypal dispute if needed.

I have in the past sent a pic of pop to the buyer and asked if the want to wait a while longer or not. luckly he was like me, and knowing it had been posted he waited a bit longer and it turned up everybody happy.

but this is ebay, and for far too many, acting as a decent reasonable human being has no place there.

If I had been sent a proof of posting, Id happily wait the royal mail xx days before expecting a refund if required at that point. I would then fill in the form they send when the seller claims. its not the sellers fault the items been delayed/lost.

the rest of the post comes accross as "i want it now, or my money, I dont care if its only delayed, I instantly distrust every seller" and huge assumptions about the seller, so I hope its just coming accross wrongly.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I must admit I now feel a bit mistrustful of a seller I've bought from.

I ordered an item 2 weeks ago (less than £10 value) and it still hasn't arrived, I ordered for a specific reason and need it this weekend. I've messaged the seller who took 2 days to reply. I was just asking for confirmation of the date it was sent, and what they propose to do if it doesn't arrive in time.

Their response was to tell me to buy one from a local shop and they will refund me £3.50??? I was gobsmacked! We could all pretend to send items but not actually bother and refund less than half the price. They then went on to blame Royal Mail and said if it turns up after the weekend I can always sell it on???

I've just replied with a "no thank you I'm not prepared to pay twice, nor pay for an item I haven't received, and if it isn't here in time I'll have to open an INR"

I'd usually like to give the benefit of the doubt but their response made me feel very scratchy. I know the vast majority of eBay users do so in good faith.

I'm wondering now if the item is coming from overseas (although it does say Royal Mail and the location is UK, I specifically limit my searches to UK based items). Is it possible for, eg a Chinese seller to register as a UK based seller? If it ever does arrive I guess I'll see the postmark. If it does come from overseas would eBay want to know?

Incidentally I did ask where it was posted from in my first email but they did not answer that one.

Will go check when an INR should be filed...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    Clearly not the same one as you.

If an item hasn't arrived within good time, I don't want to see anything other than the item.

Sending a COP is an indicator that the seller doesn't know the system, is likely to tell you to claim and any refund will be via a dispute.

5 days?

The only people who ask for a refund in less than a week are scammers.

The reason they ask so early is they already have the item - so no point hanging around - just get the money back.

A real person just assumes it will arrive soon. They don't - because they already have it.

I've had a person ask for a refund the day after buying. Why? Because i sent it 1st class the same day - they received it the next day - and as far as they were concerned it was time for phase two of the scam operation. Don't even have the decency to pretend to allow time for it to show up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure