PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EA's - is this 'normal'?!

Options
Forgive my ignorance, have only ever dealt with them on lettings previously and though I'd read how bullish they can be, I was still quite surprised at the attitude...

Put offer in with senior negotiator this afternoon. Could tell very quickly that she's pushy and brash with a touch of arrogance to boot. Before I've even had feedback from the vendor she's telling me they won't take it off the market until we've been in and got an AIP and met their affordability checks as its all required by the ombudsmen. No problem I say, I've already met with a broker who has been through my financials and can supply an AIP when we get to that stage.

Not good enough, their in branch FA will need to be satisfied.....then goes on to ask who my broker is, suggests he isn't whole of market (he is) and she doesn't know him.....relevant? Really? Told her I'm not happy to divulge my financials to someone sitting in their branch, they don't work for me after all, my brokers doing that bit.....getting a ridiculous ear bashing that it's not a conflict of interest (my words), they are fully independent and can't divulge, blah blah...

I've read about the affordability requests before but this offer process felt like a Spanish inquisition. I can be pretty steadfast myself so we could be in for a bumpy ride. Are they all like this?!?! :rotfl:

Already dreading revised offer tomorrow.

PS, this post is only semi serious ;)

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
Spero Meliora
Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:

Comments

• ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    EA using dodgy tactics to try to get you to use an in-house broker to get the commission on a mortgage? There's at least one other thread on the front page of this forum with the same situation.

The ombudsman bit smells of !!!!!!!! though.

Mine however was nothing like that, they offered, we said that we already had a broker, they moved on.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yep agree, mine were fine - no pressure.
  • martin.cat
    Options
    Remember EA is working for vendor and themselves. To accept offer / take property off market you do need to prove you have funds etc. their preference would be their broker but that's jus a preference. I'd get your broker to contact them and provide details.

We have just sold and our EA was pushy / pro active. We had 3 offers in first week so the financial qualification was a must. With our purchase the agent was happy to accept emailed copy of bank letter giving AIP but there delay while we sorted it as we never expected to sell within in a week
  • martin.cat
    Options
    Remember EA is working for vendor and themselves. To accept offer / take property off market you do need to prove you have funds etc. their preference would be their broker but that's jus a preference. I'd get your broker to contact them and provide details.

We have just sold and our EA was pushy / pro active. We had 3 offers in first week so the financial qualification was a must. With our purchase the agent was happy to accept emailed copy of bank letter giving AIP but there delay while we sorted it as we never expected to sell within in a week. House was taken off market though but they did confirm our sale / position with our EA
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    I'll just correct that for you:
    martin.cat wrote: »
    Remember EA is working for themselves.
    Je suis sabot...
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    My own EA (ie when selling last house) had already checked out my buyers funds before putting in their offer on my last place, as I recall.

So, from my pov, it was bidding war between that buyer and someone else over the course of one day, at the end of which I accepted their bid as the "winner" and they got phoned back instantly and told "You're it...money has accepted your last bid".

I saw no sign at all of them trying to push any of their "own" financial people onto my buyer. They checked buyer had the amount of deposit they said they did and asked where the mortgage for the difference was going to come from and told me (I looked that up and thought "Exactly the firm I would have gone to myself for a deal like they've just given my buyer").

Done and dusted.
  • princeofpounds
    Options
    If they are a member of one of the 'professional' associations, ask the agent to put down EXACTLY what she said in writing to you. It'll be interesting to see how it changes...
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 September 2014 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Whilst it's totally unethical, the reality is that the EA will push the vendor much harder to accept your offer, if they think they will get your mortgage business and conveyance business as well.

So maybe say something like "My offer is £x. If the vendor accepts it, I will come and talk to your mortgage advisor. Also, can you you recommend a solicitor?"

If the offer is accepted, you may decide to change your mind.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My own EA (ie when selling last house) had already checked out my buyers funds before putting in their offer on my last place, as I recall.

So, from my pov, it was bidding war between that buyer and someone else over the course of one day, at the end of which I accepted their bid as the "winner" and they got phoned back instantly and told "You're it...money has accepted your last bid".

I saw no sign at all of them trying to push any of their "own" financial people onto my buyer. They checked buyer had the amount of deposit they said they did and asked where the mortgage for the difference was going to come from and told me (I looked that up and thought "Exactly the firm I would have gone to myself for a deal like they've just given my buyer").

Done and dusted.

The sad thing is that EA's lie. So your view of the other potential buyer was the one the EA chose to give you.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 September 2014 at 10:41AM
    Options
    It depends on the EA. Some of the larger chains do exactly what you have experienced. I know Taylors do as it happened to use when we were thinking about buying.

When we were looking to sell we ensured that we chose an EA who did not pressure buyers to use their in-house broker. The other EAs tried to convice us that they were doing us a favour by weeding out the time wasters but of course it was entirely so that got more commission.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure